You ever hear this expression being used?

For example: link

"Herman Cain is still campaigning for president. But by most measures, his White House bid is all but over."

What the hell does that mean?! I mean, he's trying to say that it is over, but if you say all BUT over, doesn't that suggest it is everything except for over? Someone please explain this shit before I get an aneurism .

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I mean, he's trying to say that it is over, nopebut if you say all BUT over, doesn't that suggest it is everything except for over?yup

its very much how it sounds. if i said something was all but perfect it would be saying it was as close to perfect as something could be without being perfect. it is just acknowledging that perfection has not been reached. if somethings all but over, it says it is practically over, but does not yet hold the quality of being over. at 5 seconds left in a football game, if one team is up 2 touchdowns (or 2 goals for non-americans and regular football), the game is all but over. For practical purposes it's over, but technically there's time left.

Something like that. Sorry if it's not clear, but I'm sure you get what I mean. Hope this helps.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Last edited by jiminizzle at Dec 2, 2011,
The phrase is all but impossible to understand.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by Dirge Humani
It will not amount to anything, but won't end.

All but over.

This is how I've always understood it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by blake1221
Always wondered this as well. I know how it's used, I just don't understand why.

I wish mah shovin' buddy would say he was a shovin' buddy, but it's all but likely.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
I wish mah shovin' buddy would say he was a shovin' buddy, but it's all but likely.

Ok, I guess it makes sense if you shift the way you think about it, but it's still fucking with me.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Is it really that difficult to use Google? It's 2011 ffs.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/all+but

1. everyone or everything except those mentioned All but the weakest plants survived the hot weather.
2. almost In some places, bus service has all but disappeared.

In this case it's number two.

There you have it, it's just a fancypants way journalists say "almost."
Quote by due 07
Is it really that difficult to use Google? It's 2011 ffs.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/all+but

In this case it's number two.

There you have it, it's just fancypants way journalists say "almost."

I know it means almost, I just don't know how it would make sense to mean "almost".

And look at your stupid quote, that contradiction is exactly what I was talking about.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by blake1221

Quote by blake1221
Don't be shitty, Zach.

I too am a Zach.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Xiaoxi
I know it means almost, I just don't know how it would make sense to mean "almost".

And look at your stupid quote, that contradiction is exactly what I was talking about.

I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it, but whatevs.

Pretty much what jiminizzle said. Cain's campaign is everything (all) in the general direction of "over," but not literally over yet.
It is almost. If we look at the example of "all but over", it implies that everything has happened that can have happened before said event could be counted as over, and all that is left is for the actual thing to be concluded. Hard to explain.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by due 07
I don't see what's so difficult to understand about it, but whatevs.

Pretty much what jiminizzle said. Cain's campaign is everything (all) in the general direction of "over," but not literally over yet.

It's confusing because if you take it literally and replace "all" with "everything" since they're synonyms anyway, you get "everything but over" which would mean it's everything else but it's not over.
English language is confusing brah.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by RedDeath9
It means the limit of Cain's campaign bid as it approaches over.

Pretty much
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Trowzaa
It's confusing because if you take it literally and replace "all" with "everything" since they're synonyms anyway, you get "everything but over" which would mean it's everything else but it's not over.
English language is confusing brah.

By definition, idioms contradict the compositionality principle. They aren't supposed to be broken down and taken literally as individual parts. ¯\_(ツ_/¯
It makes no sense to me. "All but over", seems like "Everything except over", to me. So... not over at all, would be what I think of it as. However, it is used to say that something is completely over or absolute. Totally contradictory.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
It makes no sense to me. "All but over", seems like "Everything except over", to me. So... not over at all, would be what I think of it as. However, it is used to say that something is completely over or absolute. Totally contradictory.

Quote by wikipedia
Idiom is an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is comprehended in regard to a common use of that expression that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made. There are estimated to be at least 25,000 idiomatic expressions in the English language.
In linguistics, idioms are usually presumed to be figures of speech contradicting the principle of compositionality; yet the matter remains debated. In phraseology, they are defined in a similar way as a sub-type of phraseme whose meaning is not the regular sum of the meanings of its components.
Quote by due 07
By definition, idioms contradict the compositionality principle. They aren't supposed to be broken down and taken literally as individual parts. ¯\_(ツ_/¯

I knowwwww. It's them that are confused.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I knowwwww. It's them that are confused.

They need to learn to language, huh? >_>
Quote by due 07

That's like saying "I could care less" is acceptable. It's NOT.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^lol

Quote by Xiaoxi
That's like saying "I could care less" is acceptable. It's NOT.

There's a difference between an idiom and incorrect phrases.
Quote by L2112Lif

LIF-O-DIT:

It is all but an idiom.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I hate this phrase as well, and from time to time I think about my hatred for it. You speak to me, Xiaoxi Wan.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing