It's the holy grail: a free alternative to guitar-pro that doesn't suck donkey balls.

Here's my humble attempt:canary.fm, a DropBox for Tabs. It works in your web browser, iPad and iPhone. Just drag and drop your tabs straight into your web browser, and you can open them in the online player or your iDevice.

Does it replace Guitar-pro? No. Guitar-pro is very good software, but it does much more than most of us will ever need. Most of us just need to read tabs, adjust the tempo, mute a few tracks, turn on a metronome.. that kind of thing. And it shouldn't cost $60. Heck it shouldn't even cost anything, unless you're a power user or commercial entity.

It's still in beta (thus the measly 25 tab limit -- sorry!), and while the iPad/iPhone apps are done Apple hasn't approved them yet. Bummer, huh? Still, the online player is working and I'd like to get some early critique from the people who matter most -- my fellow musicians. Once things are stable I'll up the quotas and offer perks as thanks to the kind souls who took the time to tell me i rock (or suck.)
Tuxguitar is good, I use it too. The thing is that Tuxguitar only works on your desktop. In fact, Canary is heavily based on Tuxguitar's code. The focus was making it work in any web browser, iPhone and iPad. If you like Tuxguitar, you should definitely give it a run.
Quote by LRCGUITAR
I'd have considered downloading it if I'd found it on my own. But since you're advertising it, I'm not going to.

Fair enough, though my sincere motive is to make something to help other guitarists, I respect your decision. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Quote by blake1221
I have guitar pro, but I did not pay for it.

Completely understandable. Sean Parker (Napster, Facebook) famously remarked that the only way to fight piracy is to make the alternative better and easier. That was my objective for Canary, and one that I hope to deliver on. Regardless of our views on piracy, free software that rocks is only in the best interests of everyone.
Quote by omnomnomben
Completely understandable. Sean Parker (Napster, Facebook) famously remarked that the only way to fight piracy is to make the alternative better and easier. That was my objective for Canary, and one that I hope to deliver on. Regardless of our views on piracy, free software that rocks is only in the best interests of everyone.
He said he didn't pay for it. Maybe he got someone else to. Don't automatically assume he pirated it.

Even if that assumption is probably correct
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
He said he didn't pay for it. Maybe he got someone else to. Don't automatically assume he pirated it.

Even if that assumption is probably correct

'twas a gift from dear ol' Santy Claüse!
If any of you assholes actually tried it, you'd realize that it's actually really awesome. I signed in with my facebook account. I downloaded a guitar pro file from this site and used it in there, and it sounds exactly like guitar pro, except I didn't have to download a bunch of shit and go through guitar pro's horrible UI. This is easy to figure out and easy to work with.

Bookmarked. Thanks OP this is an awesome tool, perfect alternative for guitar pro. Outstanding.

Also it keep the files you uploaded in your library which is awesome. Download it once and it's there forever.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Dec 2, 2011,
It's not letting me log in.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Just signed up and tried it.

Works great, thanks TS, I'll keep checking for the iOS edition because that would be ridiculously useful for me.

Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY) [nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement.height]" nsresult: "0x8007000e (NS_ERROR_OUT_OF_MEMORY)" location: "JS frame :: http://canary.fm/scripts/alphaTab/alphaTab.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 6246" data: no]

Why do I get this error when I try to play the tab I uploaded?
Quote by omnomnomben
Fair enough, though my sincere motive is to make something to help other guitarists, I respect your decision. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Sorry for being a dick earlier, I've tried it now and it looks really good, I'll keep an eye out for the iPhone version. Nice work man
Quote by cfhdomination
Tried it. Doesn't work, but I just may be too stupid to use it lol

Actually, it's probably my fault. As a lone developer I don't have the resources to test this on every set-up out there. I've heard reports that it doesn't work in linux (which is ironic, cause its based on tuxguitar.)

Quote by DarkTom666
Why do I get this error when I try to play the tab I uploaded?

You might have opened a humongeous tab and your browser refuses to allocate more memory. As a dream theater fan, this is a problem for me.

The other possibility is that you're using firefox 4, which has a known bug that causes this error. You just need to update your browser to get rid of the problem. See this support page i made .

Quote by daryldom
Just signed up and tried it.

Works great, thanks TS, I'll keep checking for the iOS edition because that would be ridiculously useful for me.

Quote by naedauuf

Bookmarked. Thanks OP this is an awesome tool, perfect alternative for guitar pro. Outstanding..

Quote by SlayingDragons
A cloud-based slimmed-down tuxguitar on my phone would be pretty cool. I might test it out.

Quote by LRCGUITAR
Sorry for being a dick earlier, I've tried it now and it looks really good, I'll keep an eye out for the iPhone version. Nice work man

I can't express how glad I am that you guys found Canary.fm useful, even in its beta state. The app is still making its way through Apple's draconian approval process, but PM me your emails and I'll send you guys a free copy once its up as thanks.
Last edited by omnomnomben at Dec 3, 2011,
Firefox isn't letting me log in for whatever reason. I've tried Facebook, Google, and AOL and it never moves me past the log in page. HELP.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Firefox isn't letting me log in for whatever reason. I've tried Facebook, Google, and AOL and it never moves me past the log in page. HELP.

Really sorry about this, is there a specific error you're getting? I just tried all logins in Firefox (8.0.1) and it worked without a hitch.

I use janrain to handle these logins. They're supposedly industry grade, but the problems you guys are getting is making me rethink that.
I want to bump this because I frickin love this.

I stopped playing guitar for the past 2 years after playing for 8, and because of this and how cool it is. I've been playing almost non-stop for days. Thank you so much man. I finally found that spark again!
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
I want to bump this because I frickin love this.

I stopped playing guitar for the past 2 years after playing for 8, and because of this and how cool it is. I've been playing almost non-stop for days. Thank you so much man. I finally found that spark again!

That's really great to hear! It's taken months of hard work to make this all happen, so hearing positive feedback just makes my day.

If you have any suggestions you can always drop me a note on the discussion board . The entire operation is run by just me and a good friend, so we're very flexible when it comes to design choices.
I took a pro tab from my desktop, like it says, and got it into my library. I try to open it, and now it just says "Patience, our carrier pigeon brigade is attending to your request.." "Just a second while we download the player components.."

I've been here for like 10 minutes. What is the problem? Did I do anything wrong?

I'm running it on Chrome with Windows Vista.
tuxguitar works great for me

She's so pretty in her casts
The prettiest thing I've ever seen
I only get to hold her when she's injured
I only get to kiss her where she's sore
Any plans for an Android version? I'd love a way to view tabs on my phone that isn't UG's crappy app.
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Dec 25, 2011,
i had tux guitar and quite frankly i hated it.

Powertab was awesome but the lack of drums proved to be a problem.

EDIT: i do like your program though OP
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Dec 25, 2011,
Nicely made website, Ben. Naters gonna nate, but you've created an excellent portable tab reader. Congrats. I'll spread the word in-person when I can.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by omnomnomben

It annoys me when people credit celebrities for obvious conclusions.

This is fantastic! An excellent alternative for sure. I had the same error message as mentioned previously, but after switching to IE rather than firefox, everything worked 100% smoothly. Hopefully you can get that bug smoothed out for firefox users. I'll spread the word for you, and keep an eye out for the mobile apps. They could be very useful!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
uh, you're a little late to the party, dude. tuxguitar is perfect.

Tuxguitar
+1 for tuxguitar, it've got everything you need including speed trainers and loops etc
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Quote by Vermillionpart2
I took a pro tab from my desktop, like it says, and got it into my library. I try to open it, and now it just says "Patience, our carrier pigeon brigade is attending to your request.." "Just a second while we download the player components.."

I've been here for like 10 minutes. What is the problem? Did I do anything wrong?

I'm running it on Chrome with Windows Vista.

Hey, Ben is on a little vacation right now so I'll do my best to help out. It sounds like you did everything right. It might be a Java error. Have you tried uploading any other tabs to see if they would work? Is your Java up-to-date?

TuxGuitar>Canary

Without the app ready, I can understand why you guys are comparing Canary to TuxGuitar, but I would like to emphasize that Canary is still in beta so features such as count-ins, keyboard shortcuts, loops, and more are currently either in the works or not fully implemented yet.

Canary allows you to read your tabs on just about ANY computer rather than just one with a special piece of software on it. Once we get our app approved by Apple, you will also be able to view your tabs on your iOS device, such as an iPhone, iPad, or an iPod Touch. An Android app is planned for the future as well.

There isn't an editor in Canary and I'm not sure if we will need one when there is already an incredible piece of free software that lets you write music. We would like to supplement rather than replace TuxGuitar in the future. Imagine the power of having both TuxGuitar AND Canary. TuxGuitar lets you write your music from your home and Canary would let you show your tabs to your friends and band-mates without having to lug a laptop or install some software at school or at practice. You could just toss your phone or tablet inside your guitar case and have all your tabs ready to go wherever.

I'd like to add that we are incredibly grateful for your guys' feedback -- Ben and I will keep doing our best to make Canary as good as it can be for everyone.
I'll probably try Canary out, but I don't think it'll be as good as Tuxguitar.
Canary uses the same source as TuxGuitar... what part about that don't you guys get?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Hey guys, I'm actually on a three-week "vacation" right now, thus the lack of updates. I'm relocating back to the USA; I'm occupied tying up loose ends and packing up my belongings. Busy busy busy.

To the people who love TuxGuitar: I know it's good. I use it too, and I wouldn't have based Canary on TuxGuitar if it wasn't anything other than awesome. My point is that it could be better, it could be updated much much much more often, and it could be part of something far bigger.

Canary isn't here to replace TuxGuitar. It's here to complement it, and to form something bigger than the sum of its parts. I use both of them almost daily. Canary is my convenient practice buddy, TuxGuitar my occasional composing aide. Saying TuxGuitar is better than Canary is like saying YouTube is better than Windows Movie Maker [or your favorite video editor]. Totally different products, but complementary to each other.

In other news, Apple threw me a curveball that delayed the app, and closed iTunes connect for the holidays. Frustrating, but it can't be helped. I'll try and get it out by mid-January.

As for Android -- that's in my sights. I actually don't even own an iPad; I'm an android guy. Rest assured that I'll get the android port done before I have to cave in and buy an iPad so I can use the Canary app on it

@Vermillion I responded to your question on the support forums. I'm really concerned about your issue because Canary has a very, very low failure rate on Windows boxes. With your help, we could get to the root of the problem and save countless others from the same issue.
Quote by Doom878
Any updates? Didn't see Canary in the app store.

We just got approved yesterday, actually! I didn't want to announce it until my first update went through. Without the update you have to add tabs through the website, which is annoying.

Hope apple approves the update by tomorrow.

Check it out!

Edit: I'm going to be doing a 50% off for a day promotion once the update goes through as a launch special, so hold off on buying it. Gotta be kind to the early adopters I'll send out an email when it happens.
Last edited by omnomnomben at Feb 10, 2012,
Lately I've been getting errors and LOOOOOONG load times with most tabs I try to upload to canary, any suggestions? I've only gotten four to work so far, and tried about fifty.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
Lately I've been getting errors and LOOOOOONG load times with most tabs I try to upload to canary, any suggestions? I've only gotten four to work so far, and tried about fifty.

you are getting long load times because.. we are doing a major update for the app launch! sorry about that. we got a ton of friends to help out contributing tabs and we've basically been pushing the server to its max to handle the load.

i'll take a look at the errors you're seeing, they might be unrelated.