Budget: 200 euros, but if there's something good a little bit over that I'd like to hear about it as well.

Genres: I'd like it to be as versatile as possible, but mainly rock stuff. My favourite guitarists are Angus Young, Paul Gilbert, Tommy Emmanuel (he doesn't really matter here though, does he? ) and I've been liking Satchel lately.

New or used: Doesn't really matter to me as long as it's in the budget.

Home or gig: Home

Closest city: Helsinki, Finland

Current gear: Yamaha Pacifica 112J and Roland Micro Cube.

So yeah. Looking to get something better than my Micro Cube.
One thing to note, I would appreciate a rec out/headphone jack or port or whatever they're called.

Edit: On the other hand, if a budget of 200 isn't nearly enough to be worth the upgrade, I might be able to push it up some, just not too crazy.
Last edited by Concurssi at Dec 2, 2011,
how dare you say Tommy Emmanual doesn't matter.

what does a jet city 20 watt combo go for in finland?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

what does a jet city 20 watt combo go for in finland?

I'd be ordering from Thomann.de most likely, so about 300€ by the looks of it.
Edit: I just looked at a demo on youtube and it does sound pretty nice...
Last edited by Concurssi at Dec 2, 2011,
Look into the Vox VT series, they come in a bunch of different sizes and they are Hybrid amps. I own the VT 40+ and the variety is pretty cool. It has a headphone jack, and a jack for plugging in your ipod/computer so you can jam along.
Quote by Concurssi
I'd be ordering from Thomann.de most likely, so about 300€ by the looks of it.
Edit: I just looked at a demo on youtube and it does sound pretty nice...

maybe see if you can snag a holiday sale of some sort.

i don't know what else is available near you but that's a decent amp for cheap.

we really don't hear of any reliability issues with them fwiw.
And it seems to be a tube amp as well if I'm not terribly mistaken...
HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM This is a tough one.
Just to check, it doesn't have a rec out or headphone jack or anything like that, does it?
Quote by Concurssi
And it seems to be a tube amp as well if I'm not terribly mistaken...
HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM This is a tough one.
Just to check, it doesn't have a rec out or headphone jack or anything like that, does it?

it doesn't have one, but you don't need it.
Just don't crank the amp keep it low enough and you will get an okay-tone from it

crank it when no one is around to get awsome tone ( master volume around 3 IIRC )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
it doesn't have one, but you don't need it.
Just don't crank the amp keep it low enough and you will get an okay-tone from it

crank it when no one is around to get awsome tone ( master volume around 3 IIRC )

Will it be quiet enough for an apartment building?
Obviously I won't be playing in the middle of the night, but if it's too loud I'm gonna get complaints and all that crap.
Quote by Concurssi
Will it be quiet enough for an apartment building?
Obviously I won't be playing in the middle of the night, but if it's too loud I'm gonna get complaints and all that crap.

I use my amp ( 100W ) in my bedroom while my neighbours' children are sleeping

the jet city has a volume knob, fiddle with it and you will be fine
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Okay, so, I just found out that there's something called biasing that goes with tube amps.
I don't know jack shit about this kind of stuff and I can't afford to f up an amp, so I'm asking this question again, with the added criteria of it not being a tube amp.
according to doug at jet city amp you should never have to adjust it.

quoted from another web site...

Hi Richard – I hope we’re not TOO late in reply, it’s been very busy in Jet City. Thanks so much for your purchase.

Simple answer: no. this amp has a fixed bias, you shouldn’t ever have to adjust it.

That said, there is a small pot on the pcb, for setting the bias at the factory. That could also be used to adjust the bias by those who really know what they’re doing, but, as I mentioned it should never be necessary.

Best, D.

Douglas White
Marketing & Product Development
Jet City Amplification
www.jetcityamplification.com (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/)

just thought i'd let you know that about the jet city amp i recommended.

good luck with your purchase.
Okay, that's cool.
I also heard you have to change the tubes regularly, that seems like kind of a hassle. Is it difficult?
Is there any other kind of fiddling around that needs to be done with a tube amp?
Quote by Concurssi
Okay, that's cool.
I also heard you have to change the tubes regularly, that seems like kind of a hassle. Is it difficult?
Is there any other kind of fiddling around that needs to be done with a tube amp?

not difficult.

pre-amp tubes can last a lifetime, power tubes can last years.

of course there are exceptions to every rule.

if you just don't want to deal with having a tube amp, get whatever amp you like.
I think I'd rather have a solid-state amp this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
It's not much of a hassle. Just pull out the old tubes, and then insert the new ones. Pre amp tubes whenever you feel like it, power amp tubes every 3-4 years. I'd say definitely worth it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
It's not much of a hassle. Just pull out the old tubes, and then insert the new ones. Pre amp tubes whenever you feel like it, power amp tubes every 3-4 years. I'd say definitely worth it.

Argh!
Stop making me go back and forth here!
Damn it, I can't decide!

Are there other disadvantages to tube amps, than biasing (which is hopefully not needed with this amp), having to change the tubes, the fragility and the searing heat?
Not that I know of. And they are not that fragile nor hot. I mean, don't touch the tubes while it's on. Go for the tube amp, and you'll be happier in the long run.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
if the advantages of tube amps didn't outweigh the disadvantages they wouldn't exist.

that's pretty certain.

there is a reason you keep old technology around, it works.