I need a bass multieffect with an expression pedal for volume. I was originally looking at the ME50B but the $399 pricetag + another $49 for the AC adapter convinced me to look around. I came across the Digitech BP355 and it seems to have more features than the boss and comes with it's AC adapter for $349. The Digitech also appears to have more controls for each effect. Which one is likely to be a better deal.

I play a Yamaha RBX375 through an Ashton BA15 practice amp at home, and (unfortunately ) a Behringer BXL900 or BXL3000 at school.
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Dec 2, 2011,
The digitech is probably the better deal. it's a 100 bucks cheaper, and if there's more control also it's much better. Although, if you want distortion, I'd recommend using it with a digitech Bass Driver.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
ive got the boss and it can be a bit of a hassle some times...you'd probably get more value from the digitech
I'm needing some distortion, a compressor, and a volume pedal as a minimum, which is why I was looking at multieffects because there's others I could use and i'm already in that price range. I'm just worried about the quality of the sound, as I have no way of comparing them. I tried both but being in different stores I tried the Boss on a Behringer (Like what i use at school) and a rather expensive looking Head/Cab configuration with the digitech.
What are you going to be using this for? and what amp will you personally be using it with and bass?
Quote by askrere
What are you going to be using this for? and what amp will you personally be using it with and bass?

Quote by chatterbox272
I play a Yamaha RBX375 through an Ashton BA15 practice amp at home, and (unfortunately ) a Behringer BXL900 or BXL3000 at school.

As I said, a Yamaha RBX375 through an Ashton BA15, Behringer BXL900, or BXL3000. I may also use it with my RBX270, through the same amps but I'm not bothered about that.
I've always been wary about multi effects I'd rather have a $400 amp than a $400 pedal. You could probably find a decent comp, dist and volume under $200 if you look real hard.
Quote by askrere
You could probably find a decent comp, dist and volume under $200 if you look real hard.

Not here in the land down under my friend
Here, Ashton and Behringer pedals sell for $50 each, any quality brand sells for $100+. As for the amp vs pedal thing, I have no real option as to what amp I use when performing as it's the amp the school supplies, and my Ashton is perfect for home use. Seems like the general consensus here is to get the digitech though, so I will likely get that one
Last edited by chatterbox272 at Dec 3, 2011,
Oh, you are wanting to use it for school. I didn't think any school band required the distortion and stuff, so you were just using it for home. My mistake.
Quote by chatterbox272
Not here in the land down under my friend

You're looking in the wrong places. Look around in here.

EDIT: You could also get a wayyy better multi-effects unit if you bought from the US via eBay and just got the Aussie power adapter for it. You could get a used Bass Pod XT Live over here from the states for about the same as the Boss new.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 4, 2011,
Not so keen on getting used stuff, simply because if i buy it online I don't know what condition it's in. Also, large purchases online for me take some real need, as in my experience it can cause warranty issues. So unless I'm saving very large sums by purchasing online I'd rather go retail.
You're screwing yourself over really. I've made maybe one big purchase that was new in the last couple of years. Everything else I own is used. I paid 900 bucks for my EBMM Bongo, I think Bass Centre wants $2200ish for them new. The Bass Pod I mentioned earlier is more than double the $250 they're going for on US eBay to over here. Haworth Guitars in Illawarra has a used one in a flight case they're selling for $450.
With eBay you're got PayPal protection, so if you get screwed over you get your money back. OzBassForum, which I linked you too before if pretty tight-knit, they've only had one "rouge" user since they've been operating and things didn't end well for him.
Establish good communication with your seller and the used market and the internet are your best friends for finding decent gear at decent prices, especially in this country.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
With the exception of my new amp, my AccuBass and a few pedals, everything else has been used. Its a great way to save cash.

Multi effects tend to come up on Ebay, Craigslist etc alot. People buy them thinking they are 10 -1 (or the amount of effects) deals and end up selling them for in favor of getting individual pedals. I had a BP200 that I used for about 6 months and then boxed up and sold. Sound wise, at least in my opinion they don't equal the quality and versatility of individual effects. If it were me, I'd invest the money in upgrading your home amp towards a gigging amp rather than go for an expensive multi-effects pedal.
This question gets asked a lot more on the guitar forum now that I think about it. The answer usually is a Multi effect is a great way to get familiar with different sounds effects can create alone and together. That being said most people end up using a cheap programmable zoom pedal for like $10-$50 and when they get done pass it on for about the same price and grab what they really need. MFX units seem to be rather bulky or very limited range in each effect to fit the needs and space. In addition I'd hate to buy a $300 unit and find out I only liked the compressor an end up with a large expensive compressor. a MXR dyna-comp, Morely volume, and a boss Bass overdrive are easily had on my craigslist for $50 a piece with a little patience nearly every week. Granted in the land of dingos and missing babies things are different, I think you'd have a hard time going over $300 getting three reliable pedals even online.