So Christmas is rolling around (yay!) and for all of us youngins our people get us presents and we have to submit the ever so depressing "wish list" to our families.
Like the title says, I'm on a budget, capping out at around $80 and I'm looking for a new bridge pickup to replace the stock 490's in the Gibson SG Special (the one with te full gloss nitro finish). They are 490's. Not 498's.
I want something that will give me better definition of low notes in chords while driven. Thats something the 490's can't do and it drives me nuts. So I'm lookin for good highs, medium to high output and that clarity on low end driven chords. I wanna hear all if the notes not just some BLUURGGHH.
Thanks UG!
Dimarzio Norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
SD custom 5
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
1. what amp is it through, cuz pickups doens't really make a big difference...
2. what are your settings ( sometimes a setting-thing can change it.. ) ( try to turn up the mids a bit ( at least it helps for me ) )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
1. what amp is it through, cuz pickups doens't really make a big difference...
2. what are your settings ( sometimes a setting-thing can change it.. ) ( try to turn up the mids a bit ( at least it helps for me ) )

It's a 2x12 Peavey VTX Classic. I've sat done and tried reteeakig all my settings to try and clean it up but it never cleaned it up to where I wanted it.
+1 to Dimarzio Steve's Special. It was designed to do all the things you mentioned you're looking for. I've got one in the bridge of my Epi G400 custom and it sounds killer.
i'd say custom 5 or paf pro considering with your budget you're probably stuck to the big guys
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Steve's special look pretty awesome! Anything with lower output? I don't exactly play very heavy. Also, the ceramic magnets on the Steve's kinda make me shy away from them. I like alnico's a lot more.
Last edited by thehardwayout at Dec 2, 2011,
i think everything mentioned in the thread so far apart frtom the ss is alnico
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think everything mentioned in the thread so far apart frtom the ss is alnico

I just checked out the specs on the Steve special and it said ceramic magnets
which is what i said, surely? "apart from the ss", meaning teh steve's special was ceramic. but all the others which have been mentioned are alnico, as far as i'm aware.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which is what i said, surely? "apart from the ss", meaning teh steve's special was ceramic. but all the others which have been mentioned are alnico, as far as i'm aware.

Haha my apologies! Tried to read that real quick while at work so as to not get caught =P
But anyways, I think im going to go with the Steve Special. It sounds like it does EXACTLY what I want a pickup to do. Thanks for you help!
haha no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Duncan Full Shred or Steve's Special.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.