This thread is dedicated for the people of UG who are game makers or are aspiring to be one. Whether it is the composition of its music, the design, or ideas for games.

To start things off, if you were to make a game that can be played on an Xbox or PS3. Do you have to pay any royalties to Microsoft or Sony?
Last edited by theunforgivn at Dec 2, 2011,
*aspiring
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by theunforgivn
This thread is dedicated for the people of UG who are game makers or are inspiring to be one. Whether it is the composition of its music, the design, or ideas for games.

To start things off, if you were to make a game that can be played on an Xbox or PS3. Do you have to pay any royalties to Microsoft or Sony?

I don't know how it is with Microsoft or Sony, but for a PC game made with the UDK it's like this:
f you are using UDK internally within your business and the application created using UDK is not distributed to a third party (i.e., someone who is not your employee or subcontractor), you are required to pay Epic an annual license fee of US$2,500 per installed UDK developer seat per year. This license fee only applies to UDK seats used for development; no license fee is required for hardware where only the resulting applications are installed. If you create a games or commercial applications using UDK for sale or distribution to an end-user or client, or if you are providing services in connection with a UDK based game or application, the per-seat option does not apply. Instead the license terms for this arrangement are US $99 up-front, and a 0% royalty on you or your company's first US$50,000 in UDK related revenue from all your UDK based games or commercial applications, and a 25% royalty on UDK related revenue from all your UDK based games or commercial applications above US$50,000. UDK related revenue includes, but is not limited to, monies earned from: sales, services, training, advertisements, sponsorships, endorsements, memberships, subscription fees, in-game transactions, rentals and pay-to-play. You or your company will only need one commercial license to cover all the UDK based games or commercial applications you develop.

For XBox Indie Games you need to pay an annual 99$ fee for the membership for publishing and selling your game. I don't know how much of the money that is made with the game goes to you and how much microsoft gets.
Last edited by Tomura at Dec 2, 2011,