For the short version scroll down past the line.

For those who may not know or remember me. I was here a while back looking for some bad advice about getting a cheap guitar to get with the release of Rocksmith. I ultimately settled on a metallic red Oscar Schmidt OI14 and to give a bit of an update... for better or worse I've gotten exactly what I was looking for.

I have to say, aside from a small but very noticeable chip in the finish, I am quite happy with my purchase. I have... semi-affectionately named her Eve and she is a complete b****. She's far from perfect and sometimes goes out of her way to remind me of that fact. But that is a big reason why I like her, she just has personality and while it hasn't all been fun, none of it has been boring. As the saying goes you learn from your mistakes and lets just say Eve is teaching me quite a lot. ^_^

As for Rocksmith itself, I actually had to put the game down for two reasons. The first was I tried it for a week and while I was learning, I was learning improperly. The game just throws notes at you and it doesn't register how effectively you are using your left hand. When the game bumped up the difficulty I was rushing to keep up and playing the notes 'how-ever-it-worked' rather than striving for correct form and relaxed movement. I was learning to play yes but I was learning a bunch of bad habits as well. The other reason is of course Skyrim... I am a gamer after all lol.

Now I've been practicing off and on and playing around with and watching videos of other guitars being played and the more I hear guitars with an HSS configuration the more and more I like them. I do like the throaty tones of Eve when she's feeling especially cooperative but I already know I want to own a HSS configured guitar.

Now my christmas shopping its pretty much done and I have some money left over. And thinking of throwing my money around to extend the family some. Now my most immediate thing is to bite the 'bullet' and get a squier hss bullet and kill two birds with one stone to have another throw around guitar to practice on when I wanna switch things up or if my sister or a friend wants to play Rocksmith.

My other option is to wait a bit and get a Yamaha PAC012 for a little bit more money and get something a little bit better for not that big of a jump in price.

My only problem is I am really not a fan of trem guitars and I keep looking when I have the time and can't find any HSS configurations that don't come with a trem. So I was thinking of doing the next best thing and getting a SSS telecaster styled guitar.I like the single coil at the neck mostly so I can switch guitars when I want a specific sound.

Outside of that would be just to save up my money for a while and give my tastes more time to mature and I can buy something in the 200-500 dollar range. Anything more than 500 dollars I think I'd just go with having something custom made. So my question is...

Can anyone suggest any good HSS guitars in both the under 200 dollar range and the 200-500 dollar range? Or really just any worth while HSS guitar you think is worth looking into.
under 200 probably isn't worth buying.

the american special fender strat HSS is a nice guitar.

save up to that end.
Quote by gregs1020
under 200 probably isn't worth buying.

the american special fender strat HSS is a nice guitar.

save up to that end.

+1 You could just get a used Epiphone lp, but you'd still have to save up to get something decent.

How's Skyrim? I want to get it but I'll probably get bored of it soon. Kinda like MW3. I was addicted for a few weeks and now its getting old.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
You've only had a guitar for like 2 months and you already want another one! you should just stick with the one you have for atleast a few months more before you start thinking about guitar.
@gregs1020

People keep saying that but to me beauty is in the eye/ear of the beholder. Buying cheap doesn't necessary mean buying trash. Eve certainly surprised me. Most of the time she sounds flat and buzzy and though most of that is cause of my lack of proper playing, a fair amount of it is quite plainly it being a cheap guitar. But because she is a cheap guitar she has these 'off' qualities about her tone that sound really funky in a good way. Her lows have this grainy hallow quality and her highs can have a sharp nagging tone sometimes and over all she just has this throaty quality that is hard to explain but I just don't hear in other guitars.

No means to dance around the fact that she's a cheap guitar that borderlines being a POS on some days. But even if that is the fact she is a POS with personality, moody, willful, stubborn, and vain... very... very vain. I don't know if this is true for all POS guitars but the margin for error with her is quite small. If I am lacking in my technique she lets me know it and lets me know it fast. Which playing with other guitars I can fumble a bit here and there and it would still sound half way clear or I can get away with being a little fat fingered. Which I'm glad for cause if I played a better guitar with Rocksmith it would probably sound 'good enough' and I'd still be playing that game and picking up all sorts of bad habits.

That said, getting a cheap guitar was a no brainer for my first one. A cheap guitar > no guitar at all. But now I already have a cheap one, so I get where you are coming from but if I'm going to spend more than 500.. heck even more than 200 dollars for a guitar I don't want to feel like I'm settling on a single thing and I just don't like trem's.So if I'm going to get anything past 500 dollars I want it to have all the features I like or I'd just save up a bit more to have a guitar custom built.

@JKHC

Skyrim is... well Skyrim. I'm in a bit of the same. Had it but got over the hype of it all after a while. Though it is definitely worth having cause there is always something to do on that game. Though as someone who has put hundreds of hours into Oblivion and Fall Out 3 without ever beating the main story line, Skyrim seems to do an even better job at rewarding random adventuring. Can't count the times I've been heading to an objective mark, see something that looks funny over the top of some hill... go to check it out and then seven hours later remember I was suppose to be heading into town to finish a quest.

But yeah, that is good advice to go used. Might just go pawn shop hopping just to see whats out there while keeping an eye or two on whats listing on craigslist.

@epiphone316

Yeah, I do want another one. Though its not completely unwarranted. I'm kind of possessive with Eve, so when my sister is over or I'm hanging out with some friends and Rocksmith comes up they all ask "Can I play?" and I tell them Rocksmith really isn't the kind of game you 'play'. But they are all stubborn and keep asking and want to try it out, so really just want to get another one for the derps to use plus Rocksmith does have a 2 player mode and that would be fun to play with my sister provided she actually stays interested.

That said, I've pretty much abandoned the idea of getting another guitar over 200 dollars at the moment. Cause I'll be stuck in the same problem... having two guitars I don't want anyone else to use lol. And really if I do get another it would mostly be for my sister to use, but eh, if she's not serious about wanting to play Rocksmith I really don't need another guitar. But if she is I've pretty much settled on getting this guitar: SX Furrian RN SSS From watching a ton of videos of it on youtube and reading the reviews it has good bang for its buck and is a great base piece for modding. Though they do have another one that only has two pick ups but the neck pick up is a P90 which is also pretty tempting. But then picking up a squier bullet hss is tempting, has a trem which I don't want but has the hss configuration and the benefit of me being able to go out and find one, hold it, and play it before I bought it.

@FearMyLightning

Not sure what you are getting at there. I'm assuming you misunderstood me and thought I meant that I'd have a guitar custom made for 500 dollars. Which is very very lol indeed if I actually believed that. What I meant was that if I'm paying more than 500 dollars for a guitar I want it to be EXACTLY what I want it to be especially if I'm dipping into the four figures benchmark. Which would mean I'd want an HSS configured guitar that at the very least doesn't have a trem. To me you either get something cheap or you get what you want... not much of a middle ground kind of guy. So if I'm going to save up for a guitar I'm going to save up for the one I want, not the one that is 'close enough'.
Quote by Doomhappy
@gregs1020
Buying cheap doesn't necessary mean buying trash.

I would both agree and disagree with you on this one. Sometimes you may find one hell of a good deal (like when I bought my amp for R1800 second-hand almost new instead of getting it new for about R3000-R4000 or so), but you usually get what you pay for and I've learned this the hard way with some of the shoddy buys I bought in the past. Needless to say that from those past few bad buys I'm quite a critical guitar buyer now. But of course as a first guitar, getting something cheap is a good way to just test the water - so no probs there.

Quote by Doomhappy
@gregs1020
Skyrim

Quote by Doomhappy
@gregs1020
That said, I've pretty much abandoned the idea of getting another guitar over 200 dollars at the moment. Cause I'll be stuck in the same problem... having two guitars I don't want anyone else to use lol. And really if I do get another it would mostly be for my sister to use, but eh, if she's not serious about wanting to play Rocksmith I really don't need another guitar. But if she is I've pretty much settled on getting this guitar: SX Furrian RN SSS. From watching a ton of videos of it on youtube and reading the reviews it has good bang for its buck and is a great base piece for modding. Though they do have another one that only has two pick ups but the neck pick up is a P90 which is also pretty tempting. But then picking up a squier bullet hss is tempting, has a trem which I don't want but has the hss configuration and the benefit of me being able to go out and find one, hold it, and play it before I bought it.

Hey dude, guitars are personal things. I don't fancy other people playing on mine unless I know them pretty well (or if it's my campfire guitar). My best friend hasn't even playing on my newest guitar yet.
The problem I have found with buying cheap guitars is that they tend to have a few problems with them. Like the SX you are looking at, I've never tried one myself, but as far as I understand the fretwire is a bit on the soft side which makes for easier wear and I'm not sure on the intonation but I can't imagine it being too good somehow. Sxs, apparently, are quite nice after some modding, but that's such a mission and if you don't have the know-how or know someone with the know-how, you gotta pay more for the modding (unless you're a hobby dude). I would suggest that, if you're serious, you hold onto your wallet and buy a little bit higher on the foodchain.

Quote by Doomhappy
@gregs1020
I meant that I'd have a guitar custom made for 500 dollars. Which is very very lol indeed if I actually believed that. What I meant was that if I'm paying more than 500 dollars for a guitar I want it to be EXACTLY what I want it to be especially if I'm dipping into the four figures benchmark.

well, ya. I generally stick with my guns for the "you get what you pay for" motto. The more you pay, chances are the wood is going to be better quality, the intonation is going to be better, the construction is going to be more solid and so on and so forth which all boils down to it being a better instrument which will last you longer and perhaps cause you to look after it better. I have a classical guitar which is worth 5 digits and boy do I look after that one! thanks dad!

yeah...there's my two cents worth
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Dec 3, 2011,
You should consider an LTD MH103QM TS. They have floyds but they're HSS and play and sound good enough for a sub $400 guitar.
@UnmagicMushroom

Yeah the big thing with the SX's that I've seen are that the nut and the saddles are very low quality and both being contact points for the strings do a lot to make the quality of the sound suffer as well as lead to some tuning issues. But them seem like pretty easy things to fix and swap out for better parts, only thing being that the string ferrules are uneven and a few people mentioned the spacing is a bit weird so it might be hard finding a match.

But they seem to be a good little guitar from what I've seen. There are a surprisingly fair amount of people playing/showcasing SX's on youtube playing them both stock right out of the box as well as modded out. Doesn't hurt that these were recently on sale for like 79.99 a pop... which I missed , but what can you do. Besides a telecaster is a guitar I'd like to own but not spend to much money on, so it fits the bill in that department... and yeah, I'm a bit of a hobby dude. So this looks like it has a great ground floor to work from on that reguards, not the HSS configuration I want but for the price it fits everything else I'm looking for to add a little bit more variety to my options.

And yeah my way of looking at price vs quality is a little different. I see it as a gamble. Sometimes you get something cheap and you get exactly what you pay for but sometimes you get something cheap and its like winning the lottery. The lower the price the higher the gamble... and I'm a bit of a gambling man.

@FearMyLightning

I'll look into that one. Looks like a model I can find and get my hands on in a store some where if I look hard enough. I played with the bullet a little yesterday and I dunno, even for the price I feel like I'd be settling a bit too much. I'll definitely look into that one though
Last edited by Doomhappy at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by Doomhappy

Yeah the big thing with the SX's that I've seen are that the nut and the saddles are very low quality and both being contact points for the strings do a lot to make the quality of the sound suffer as well as lead to some tuning issues. But them seem like pretty easy things to fix and swap out for better parts, only thing being that the string ferrules are uneven and a few people mentioned the spacing is a bit weird so it might be hard finding a match.

But they seem to be a good little guitar from what I've seen. There are a surprisingly fair amount of people playing/showcasing SX's on youtube playing them both stock right out of the box as well as modded out. Doesn't hurt that these were recently on sale for like 79.99 a pop... which I missed , but what can you do. Besides a telecaster is a guitar I'd like to own but not spend to much money on, so it fits the bill in that department... and yeah, I'm a bit of a hobby dude. So this looks like it has a great ground floor to work from on that reguards, not the HSS configuration I want but for the price it fits everything else I'm looking for to add a little bit more variety to my options.

Yeah, all the stuff that's wrong with them I couldn't remember all of it so yeah...And I sincerely have not idea why so many people seem to like them so much - okay, I've never actually come across one to try out ever, but their rep for being a bit low in the quality control department is enough to put me off.
If you're looking for a tinkering guitar, I'd say go for it, hobby dude.

I like FearMyLighttning's suggestion of the LTD. They seem to have some decent stuff. And while I'm there, have you considered anything by Cort or Squier? Maybe even Tanglewood? (I played on a Cort CR-200 , part of their 2011 range I believe, and though it was quite nice. Squier seem quite popular although I personally don't like them - but who cares what I think?! And my friend got a Tanglewood SG which was quite cheap and it's a superb guitar. I also played on Tanglewood's Les Paul and was also quite impressed).
Granted I have no idea where you're from and thus what the prices are like where you are, but those companies have some quality products which don't cost an arm and a leg down here

And yeah my way of looking at price vs quality is a little different. I see it as a gamble. Sometimes you get something cheap and you get exactly what you pay for but sometimes you get something cheap and its like winning the lottery. The lower the price the higher the gamble... and I'm a bit of a gambling man.

That's why I test things in the shop