Its time I start messing with my first distortion pedal, I was down at guitar center trying some of the boss pedals out but was only able to use it at low volumes I thought the MT-2 and the ML-2 sounded alright but all the reviews I have read they are garbage. I will be running it through my 1990's model Crate G-1500 head and a crate with 4 12's cab any suggestions on what I should go try out?
Honestly, the first thing you probably want to do is determine what exactly you look for in a pedal. Do you want a classic rock lead boost or a death metal pedal?
If I had the money I'd buy a Maxon OD820 though, pretty awesome pedal.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
It's all personal preference but I would say for your first pedal I would go with a multi-effects pedal just so you can have a variety. The Digitech RP pedals are a good price but the sound quality is a little meh. I've used an RP80, and RP150 and they both sound a little cheap. I like some of Line6's distortions that they have.
Be prepared for a wave of people telling you to get a new amp.

While that probably would be a good move, it's unfair to think everyone has cash to spend on a new amp. What genre of music do you play? Favorite bands, etc? Budget? Willing to go used?

Answer some of these questions and we'll be able to help you better.
Quote by CronoMagus
It's all personal preference but I would say for your first pedal I would go with a multi-effects pedal just so you can have a variety. The Digitech RP pedals are a good price but the sound quality is a little meh. I've used an RP80, and RP150 and they both sound a little cheap. I like some of Line6's distortions that they have.

I have been told that the multi-effects are cool but digital are not as good sounding. As to the sound I want to get out ranging from light distortion to heavy so something versatile. I have a crappy peavey vypyer 15 that bit the dust I usually like the sound of the tripple X setting with higher gains.
Quote by chip46

While that probably would be a good move, it's unfair to think everyone has cash to spend on a new amp. What genre of music do you play? Favorite bands, etc? Budget? Willing to go used?

The amp is fine and has pleanty of distortion Just read that its actually a late 80's model with the old red crate name plate. I love the sound that amp has its extreamly clean on cleans and has a sweet sound. The point here is I want to start messing around with pedals just to see what other sounds I can get. I figured start out with a distortion pedal.

As to the music I like I will go from playing a green day song to playing wild thing or Socail Distortion. I don't have a set budget anywhere from a few bucks to a couple hundred, used is fine.
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Dec 2, 2011,
Well there are tons of od/dist pedals out there. I wouldn't limit yourself to just distortions, a lot of overdrives have a fair amount of gain on tap.

MI Audio Crunchbox is a pedal I had for a long time, and it was a really versatile pedal.
Xotic BB Preamp is another I like.

Fulltone stuff is good. The Fulldrive 2 or OCD. Catalinbread makes some cool ones as well, like the Dirty Little Secret.

The Digitech Hardwire series pedals have gotten some good reviews as well. They make a valve distortion and tube overdrive pedal. They have a high gain pedal as well, but I'd probably stay away from that one.

Wampler pedals make a slew of great dirt boxes. Brian is probably the king of the dirt pedals IMO. A bit higher price than the rest I mentioned, but well worth it, especially if you were looking for higher gain stuff.
Quote by ussoldier1984
The amp is fine and has pleanty of distortion Just read that its actually a late 80's model with the old red crate name plate. I love the sound that amp has its extreamly clean on cleans and has a sweet sound. The point here is I want to start messing around with pedals just to see what other sounds I can get. I figured start out with a distortion pedal.

As to the music I like I will go from playing a green day song to playing wild thing or Socail Distortion. I don't have a set budget anywhere from a few bucks to a couple hundred, used is fine.

in that case, Id definitely recommend a Keeley Modded TS-808 it was about 200. Ive always been a fan of this Zvex pedal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAWfrRwjf9A maybe youll like it.
Barber Dirty Bomb?
Okko Dominator?
TUA Railhead? (I think that's the name...)

All great sounding heavy pedals. Especially the Okko.

That's all I would all onto the end of Dustin's list.

Quote by ilovemyJAG
in that case, Id definitely recommend a Keeley Modded TS-808 it was about 200. Ive always been a fan of this Zvex pedal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAWfrRwjf9A maybe youll like it.

A TS808 isn't going to make a clean amp do green day, and a BOR is really over priced, as with all zvex stuff.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by SimplyBen
Barber Dirty Bomb?
Okko Dominator?

A TS808 isn't going to make a clean amp do green day, and a BOR is really over priced, as with all zvex stuff.

uhhh I play green day all the time with it. You could pick up a used one for like 150
I love my Fulltone OCD. Great tones all around. It can definitely do the styles you mentioned.

I also love my Maxon OD808 (like a TS808), but I use that more as a boost than a dirtbox by itself.

Definitely stay away from the MT-2. I had one for a long time. The only thing it does is overly scooped mids with too much gain. I bought it because I wanted a Metallica Black Album kind of tone, but everything sounded too thin and fizzy through that pedal (even on low gain settings).
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by chip46

Yeah not everyone has the cash, but also its not wise to spend the kind of cash on a Boss pedal when you can wait and spend your money more wisely when you have a bit more.
Quote by Sputnik1
Yeah not everyone has the cash, but also its not wise to spend the kind of cash on a Boss pedal when you can wait and spend your money more wisely when you have a bit more.

No one ever said he should get a boss pedal. If you don't have the cash for an amp but still want a nice od/dist pedal, there's nothing wrong with that. The pedal will still be there when you do decide to upgrade the amp.
Quote by surjer
Are you not happy with the sound of your amps distortion?

I am happy with my amp I love the sound it has with its distortion I want to play around with different sounds. Its more an experimental thing see what other sounds I like.
Barber Dirty Bomb?
Okko Dominator?

Who carries these so I can go see how they sound?
Quote by ussoldier1984
Its more an experimental thing to see what other sounds I like.

This sentence might as well say 'I need a multi effects unit.' Look at PODs, RPs, and Zooms, they seem to get the best reviews around here.

Maybe try to talk to the user on here 'Fly135' he's kind of a guru on multi-fx units because he's owned so many and really likes using them. He may have some insight for you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I was also considering trying to find a used Boss GT 10 how are these multi effects pedal boards? There is one on craigs list near me for 200 I think. My Instructor also told me to consider finding a rack effects instead of a board like a digitech 1101 (I can't remember if that is the model or not)
but back to the subject, ok so I am gonna stay away from the boss pedals I am going to try to find a music shop today that carries other pedals besides Boss (damn I wish I had the energy to load my amp head in the truck and take it with me to try out pedals haha) going to go check out Barber Dirty Bomb
Okko Dominator?
TUA Railhead
TS808
MI Audio Crunchbox
Xotic BB Preamp
If I can find these at a local music shop to try out.
The Boss multi-fx are pretty lame for od/dist stuff. For modulation/delay/etc they aren't terrible, but they aren't great. They're also going to run you a pretty penny. I'd save the money for better/multiple single pedals, or even put that kind of money towards an amp.

Edit: I doubt your local music shop is going to carry Okko or TUA. The others maybe. Barber maybe not.
Quote by chip46
The Boss multi-fx are pretty lame for od/dist stuff. For modulation/delay/etc they aren't terrible, but they aren't great. They're also going to run you a pretty penny. I'd save the money for better/multiple single pedals, or even put that kind of money towards an amp.

Edit: I doubt your local music shop is going to carry Okko or TUA. The others maybe. Barber maybe not.

I live in the Dallas Fort worth area so there is a ton of music shops hopefully I can track a store or two to cover as many pedals as I can.
I appreciate the help, I'll update this later today after I go try out some pedals will be calling around to see who has what after I get out of class.
I'm gonna wander off in a different direction and suggest some older Digitechs; specifically the Bad Monkey, Hot Head, and Grunge. They're half the price of the Hardwires (less if you get them used) and no matter how much crap I acquire, I always find myself gravitating back to the Monkey.
**** everything and buy a Dr Scientist Elements.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I found one effect I liked The MXR costom badass 78 distortion it sounds cool down side it was not what I was looking for but it still complements my late 80's crate amp head sounds great playing Wild Thing haha but... still on the hunt for something with more crunch I couldn't find anything I liked in the stores and they did not have any in stock of what everyone suggested just a shit load of boss stuff

Just ask to try all the od/dist pedals the stores have. Be that annoying shopper that music store clerks love to hate.
Oh I was that annoying person kept asking to try different pedals guys were getting irritated haha
I would recommend the Line 6 Floor Pod multi-effects pedal. It was the first pedal I got and I loved it. A ton of different sounds and varying degrees of gain and distortion with almost all of the effects you could ever want.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
It's seriously the most versatile dirt pedal ever and I've owned a bunch. If you can only grab one, that's the one IMO. Can do everything from a clean boost to mild OD to metal distortion to all out fuzz and do all of them well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Finally after countless hours of trying out pedals I found one I really like, MXR Fullbore Metal. It sounds bad ass, sweet distortion and a pretty good built in sound gate that is adjustable.
WOW

what a great thread. After many suggestions the TS goes out and gets a Fullbore Metal without anyone suggesting it.

Plus this guys suggestion for crappy cheap Digitechs.
Quote by CarsonStevens
I'm gonna wander off in a different direction and suggest some older Digitechs; specifically the Bad Monkey, Hot Head, and Grunge. They're half the price of the Hardwires (less if you get them used) and no matter how much crap I acquire, I always find myself gravitating back to the Monkey.
Quote by Sputnik1
WOW

what a great thread. After many suggestions the TS goes out and gets a Fullbore Metal without anyone suggesting it.

Plus this guys suggestion for crappy cheap Digitechs.

Yea after hearing a ton of different pedals I just absolutely loved the sound from the fullbore metal, I will be doing other pedals in the future. thanks to every ones input it!!! I apreceate the help even though I went another route
Last edited by ussoldier1984 at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by ussoldier1984
Yea after hearing a ton of different pedals I just absolutely loved the sound from the fullbore metal, I will be doing other pedals in the future.

Have fun with that then.
It sounds good through my amp on the clean channel I take it you guys don't like the full bore.
Screw what everyone says.
If you tried it and liked it, that's all that counts.

But the problem with many of those metal distortion pedals is they are a "one trick pony".
You may tire of it after a few weeks/months.
Where as a good OD can do many things.