Page 1 of 2
I'll ask a stupid question, but I have to start somewhere. First of all, I don't have much experience with amps. I play a mahogany Les Paul type guitar with PAF type humbuckers, and I like the sounds that I hear on "Appetite for Destruction" and "The Song Remains the Same" albums - the Marshall sound (or did Jimmy use some other amp then?). I would be happy to have a sound similar to either of them. I am not after a precise copy of that sound on those recordings - the guys use some more effects that shape the sound plus there is mastering process of the recordings involved which makes it different from what you get when you play straight to into an amp live and there are other factors - it's just that I want something very similar to that. For example, my Laney VC15-110 does not give me that.
The problem is that I am playing at home, so I need an amp that could be played at bedroom volumes. That means I cannot buy a real Marshall or HiWatt or what.
Therefore could you recommend me some tube amps that had a similar overdriven tone as the famous makes of Marshall amps and were some 5-15 watts or at least 30 watt with a switch that can lower the output power (I seen something like that in some amps)? Also, in case it's a combo, I need it to have a 12 inch speaker.
Last edited by andriusd at Dec 3, 2011,
i dont know how you play 15 or 30 watts at home without getting evicted. ha. why dont you look at the marshall class 5 options?
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
i dont know how you play 15 or 30 watts at home without getting evicted. ha. why dont you look at the marshall class 5 options?

Yes, 30 watts is way too much, but if it had a switch to lower its output power, then it's a good idea (I noticed there are more good 30 watt amps than in the 15 w category). I don't play 15 watt at full power either, but that's better than nothing. Maybe even 5 w amp would be okay for me, but I just need to have a 12 inch speaker.

Class 5... Maybe it could be an option, but it has to be crancked all the way up to get the maximum gain, and that could be too loud for me.
Last edited by andriusd at Dec 2, 2011,
Have a look at the Orange Tiny Terror and Dual Terror. They're switchable between 7 and 30 watts and they sound awesome - great for classic rock all the way up to modern stuff.

The TT is available as a head or a combo (1x12), but I think the DT is still only available as a head (I could be wrong though). I'd personally vote for the DT because it gives you 2 channels instead of just one.

EDIT: oops, sorry... the TT is switchable between 7/15 watts, the DT is switchable between 7/15/30 watts...

Gotta love these tones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VfqiPeTIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djThQPKG5lg
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Dec 2, 2011,
Marshall Studio 15.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by thejester
i dont know how you play 15 or 30 watts at home without getting evicted.

15 to 30 watts is not too much for home. You just have dumb neighbors. You can get away with any number of wattage as long as you can turn down the volume.
Quote by thejester

Maybe he doesn't live jammed into a single building like sardines in a can or maybe he's the owner of a pair of balls. I crank an 18W Marshall just about every day.

A Marshall Class 5 would get you there but if you can go a bit harder there are any number of 18W clones out there. I make them myself. If you told us where you live we could probably help you out a lot more. If you are in the UK I'd get a Valvepower one.

You should have done this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by thejester
i dont know how you play 15 or 30 watts at home without getting evicted.

I use my 100watt Marshall at home with no complaints from my neighbours. It has a magical knob entitled 'volume' which allows you to control how loud it is.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Blackheart or Marshall Class 5

or wait....my response in one of your other threads was good too

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Thanks for following the Guideline. Well written. A tad long Maybe Edit in a tl;dr version that is short and sweet.

I think the Crate amps you are looking at would be fine. Have you seen that youtube vid of a Crate V50 being thrown on the ground?

I also like the Blackhearts. I own one.

I think the Jet Cities, Bugera V22, and Marshall Class 5 would work as well but the Class 5 may get drowned out by a drummer and does not have cleans really nor control of the gain.

I would also look at a Peavey Classic 30.

I've owned a Peavey Valveking 112. Not a bad amp but needs some upgrades.

As you know - I now own a Peavey Vypyr 60 and recommend that as well.

Never played the Randall nor the Laney.
one day you all will learn a master volume effects your tone. until then enjoy having your channel on 10 and the master on 1.

andriusd - for what you want and if you are a-ok with a master then the tiny terror is a fairly good choice. it doensnt do the zep stuff to well, does not retain any clarity, but your gain knob is essentially your master. it will do ok for guns though.
class 5 is good but no master, so yes it will need to be cranking, it does have a headphone jack but you would still need to pick up a 1x12 cab of your liking to utilize it as the combo and extension cabinet for the head is a 1x10.
if you want a pretty solid all around amp i would look towards a fender blues jr, but you would need to utilize a dirt pedal (od or distortion) to achieve the heavier stuff.
**there are great clones out there but once again even an 18watt plexi clone which are usually based off the 1974x arent that cheap, maybe the user on here can make them for cheaper, but without a master it will be way overkill and you would need to attenuate it, which will also, suck some tone.

i guess im a purist so in my world 15 watts is loud. guitar cable amp is how i go, no pre gain. just old cool stuff, not hurting on anyone who uses anything else. there is a place for everything in music. thats why i really appreciate the knowledge of the forums assuming where i live, that i have no balls, and so forth.

i think you will be just fine. it just comes down to price point - which can get out of control quick

regardless of where you go, good luck. someone said the marshall studio 15 on here. great amp! there is a reason many artists record on low wattage amps, they can turn them up in the studio to get that sound! also a reason all these makers are coming out with low wattage amps. once again good luck!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I normally run my 18W'ers at 10 at home and never felt the need to attenuate it. You're either living in a shoe box or you have no balls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by thejester
one day you all will learn a master volume effects your tone. until then enjoy having your channel on 10 and the master on 1.

andriusd - for what you want and if you are a-ok with a master then the tiny terror is a fairly good choice. it doensnt do the zep stuff to well, does not retain any clarity, but your gain knob is essentially your master. it will do ok for guns though.
class 5 is good but no master, so yes it will need to be cranking, it does have a headphone jack but you would still need to pick up a 1x12 cab of your liking to utilize it as the combo and extension cabinet for the head is a 1x10.
if you want a pretty solid all around amp i would look towards a fender blues jr, but you would need to utilize a dirt pedal (od or distortion) to achieve the heavier stuff.
**there are great clones out there but once again even an 18watt plexi clone which are usually based off the 1974x arent that cheap, maybe the user on here can make them for cheaper, but without a master it will be way overkill and you would need to attenuate it, which will also, suck some tone.

i guess im a purist so in my world 15 watts is loud. guitar cable amp is how i go, no pre gain. just old cool stuff, not hurting on anyone who uses anything else. there is a place for everything in music. thats why i really appreciate the knowledge of the forums assuming where i live, that i have no balls, and so forth.

i think you will be just fine. it just comes down to price point - which can get out of control quick

regardless of where you go, good luck. someone said the marshall studio 15 on here. great amp! there is a reason many artists record on low wattage amps, they can turn them up in the studio to get that sound! also a reason all these makers are coming out with low wattage amps. once again good luck!

yes. on 1 it is quiet. on 10 it is loud.

you win!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
the studio 15 does everything you want TS.

but don't listen to me, i had one.

wattage does not equate to volumeeee

i have a 150h and a 50w head running into a 4x12....my bedroom is like 20x20. volume knobs do wonders
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Cathbard
I normally run my 18W'ers at 10 at home and never felt the need to attenuate it. You're either living in a shoe box or you have no balls.

I have balls... but I still don't want to be a dick.

See what I did there?

Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Thanks, 311ZOSOVHJH, your answer was good, but this time I had a more specific sound in mind. I have to confess I did not try those amps you mentioned, because I had no opportunity.

Others, regarding volume and watts:
I understand that there is a volume knob, but isn't it that a tube amp has to run at least at half or what of its power for the tubes to be working the way they are supposed to? I could play a 30 w amp on like 1, but it does not sound fun that way. Maybe it's just in my head, but a 15 w at volume 3 to me sounded more live than 30 w at 1 (and that I believe even was not due to tubes getting more power, because they got less power than is need, I think, but still somehow I liked that way more). Maybe I understand something wrong, maybe I did something wrong in that comparison - that is possible.

Why did not I told you where I live, what is my budget, new or used, current gear? Because I did not think it was relevant. The reason I am asking on the internet is because there are like five amps (in the category of 5-15 watts) in the stores all put together in my city, and it's the biggest city in the country I live, so... Budget? Any. I am not planning on buying it soon, as I don't have the money yet and I bought an amp recently, but I am thinking of getting an ultimate amp later and this time I don't want to be stingy. I want to buy an amp not because of its price, but because of what it gives me, and since I am limiting myself to 5-15 watts (or 30, if it has an option to lower the power), I don't expect it could cost thousands of dollars. New or used? That's a good question. New, because it is much trickier buying a used amp from abroad. So that means the amp should be in production.
Last edited by andriusd at Dec 2, 2011,
yo if you want cranked marshall tone at bedroom levels its just not gonna happen. if you ca'nt crank 15 watts you cant crank 5.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
yo if you want cranked marshall tone at bedroom levels its just not gonna happen. if you ca'nt crank 15 watts you cant crank 5.

I have a Laney 15 watt amp, and although I cannot crank it loud, I am pretty much satisfied with the result. My only problem is that I don't like it's tone - does not matter whether it's half alive or cranked to full volume.
I apologize, people; probably, it's because of my stupidity and lack of experience.
Probably wants a quarter or half watt tube amp that he can crank and not annoy people.Yeah?

Amp makers have just realized the need for these, and are slowly offering options for bedroom players who crave tube amps that wont drive their mother up the wall.
Last edited by Pippers at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by andriusd
I apologize, people; probably, it's because of my stupidity and lack of experience.

Don't be so hard on your self. Everyone started off knowing nothing. Try a tube and speaker swap for your Laney.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Don't be so hard on your self. Everyone started off knowing nothing. Try a tube and speaker swap for your Laney.

+1

Also, he's had a few threads now about his Laney and 'What Amp'

dude we don't want to pretend like we never had questions starting out, we are just trying to help you ramp up. Unless you have a Dad or an older brother who is into it - it takes a while to digest everything there is to know. Keep asking I say...

Quote by andriusd
Thanks, 311ZOSOVHJH, your answer was good, but this time I had a more specific sound in mind. I have to confess I did not try those amps you mentioned, because I had no opportunity.

Why did not I told you where I live, what is my budget, new or used, current gear? Because I did not think it was relevant. The reason I am asking on the internet is because there are like five amps (in the category of 5-15 watts) in the stores all put together in my city, and it's the biggest city in the country I live, so... Budget? Any. I am not planning on buying it soon, as I don't have the money yet and I bought an amp recently, but I am thinking of getting an ultimate amp later and this time I don't want to be stingy. I want to buy an amp not because of its price, but because of what it gives me, and since I am limiting myself to 5-15 watts (or 30, if it has an option to lower the power), I don't expect it could cost thousands of dollars. New or used? That's a good question. New, because it is much trickier buying a used amp from abroad. So that means the amp should be in production.

If you are looking for a Page/Slash tone then you pretty much want a Marshall tone stack'ed amp. As you can imagine there are lots of them out there. That is why your budget and location are so important. I can't tell you how many times I've given advice to someone only to find out they live in Brazil and can stretch their budget to $1200 if necessary.

I know you only see a few amps in your range - we get that. But sometimes the slightest jump in Budget (like $200) can make a world of difference - as can location.

$700 in a used amp would open up a whole other realm. That's why we ask.

The Blackheart and Marshall Class 5 are good starts. The Valveking has a Marshall tone stack but needs a new speaker. The Bug V22 is vox based I believe. The Jet City is Soldano based I believe. The Fenders are Fender based I believe.

Quote by 57Goldtop
I have balls... but I still don't want to be a dick.

See what I did there?

So.....you have a vagina with balls?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 2, 2011,
like others have said, u need a vol knob. I love the blackheart handsome devil, it has a volume knob although the gain is kinda low. Its killer with a reverb and OD pedal. It also has a 7w option that gets LOUD but i dun know if its loud enough to be evicted, i have ran it at about half power (half master vol and half gain or half gain full master) and i havent had any complaints. Check it out.
Quote by Voidintothe
Blackstar, they are made by previous marshal chaps.

im selling my ht5 here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1500826

Yeah the guys at Blackstar made the Famous JCM 900 , Valve State amps. I really don't care for them, but some swear by them. You can get much better for the cost of a blackstar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So.....you have a vagina with balls?

I don't know... at this point I've been married for so long it's hard to tell anymore

Quote by Pippers
Probably wants a quarter or half watt tube amp that he can crank and not annoy people.Yeah?

My point exactly. Some people just don't want to piss off everyone in a 5-block radius every time they play. I just wish manufacturers put more effort into their low-wattage amps. I ended up with a 60-watt tube amp that's way overkill for most of my needs. But I wanted something with a lot of features, and most of the low-wattage amps out there are just too bare-bones for me.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
I don't know... at this point I've been married for so long it's hard to tell anymore

LOL....that is an awesome answer

Quote by 57Goldtop
My point exactly. Some people just don't want to piss off everyone in a 5-block radius every time they play. I just wish manufacturers put more effort into their low-wattage amps. I ended up with a 60-watt tube amp that's way overkill for most of my needs. But I wanted something with a lot of features, and most of the low-wattage amps out there are just too bare-bones for me.

I agree. More attention can be placed on the little amps - there is a bit of a hidden market still - even with all the mini heads and such.
Ok, I'm gonna break the trend here and suggest a Marshall Master Leadcombo. 30W solid state, and capable of some fantastic crunch/rock tones with plenty of volume.

Unlike a tube amp, it'll sound just as good at really low volume, and it's pretty reliable. Honestly, I've never been so surprised by a cheap little amp (you can get them for £50 here).
You guys do realise that the 18W'er was designed to be a practice amp don't you? When it came out that was a small amp designed to be played at home. Now you are all scared that they are too big to play at home. All sounds a bit wimpy to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You guys do realise that the 18W'er was designed to be a practice amp don't you? When it came out that was a small amp designed to be played at home. Now you are all scared that they are too big to play at home. All sounds a bit wimpy to me.

I used to use mine at home all the time, the 18W is one of the best sounding amps at low volume. I don't even have amps in the flat half the time now, VST amp sims are getting really good.
Quote by kyle62
I used to use mine at home all the time, the 18W is one of the best sounding amps at low volume. I don't even have amps in the flat half the time now, VST amp sims are getting really good.

Why do you live in a flat? That's no place for a guitarist to live. I lived in a flat for about a year and vowed never to do it ever again and I haven't.

What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Why do you live in a flat? That's no place for a guitarist to live. I lived in a flat for about a year and vowed never to do it ever again and I haven't.

What you need is a new home.
It's got a huge room that I've turned into a 'studio lounge', including an electric drum kit and my 100W gig rig when it's not in use. No neighbours
Quote by FearMyLightning
Orange Tiny Terror combo. You'll thank me later TS.

and a respectful +1 goes to you
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
TS - what settings do you use on the laney?
Thank you, 311ZOSOVHJH. My location - Lithuania (worse than Brasil, I believe); budget - I think it is realistic to fit into 1000 USD (I could add more). I cannot buy used, because, like I said, it's difficult. I would either try to ask a shop to order it for me or buy off the internet (some European store), which is less acceptable to me.

I think I'll go to try Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister and Statesman some day, because I know the store has them, but the problem is that I don't feel very comfortable at stores - it's not the same environment as at home, and I may not be as attentive to details.

Quote by gregs1020
TS - what settings do you use on the laney?

I try a lot of settings. I don't know, maybe the Jensen speaker is bad. I heard that Jensen speakers (at least that model) are not good for high distortion, because they add some noise at 5 or 7 db (don't remember the details - I don't understand that anyway). I think the speaker could be a problem, but I feel that the amp does not give me what I want regardless of speaker.
Last edited by andriusd at Dec 3, 2011,
Blackheart is the way to go I think. I had the little giant and to be honest it's pretty damn awesome.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Page 1 of 2