I've always been a fan of The Cure's tone but am completely lost on how to achieve it...
Anyways, i have around 400 bucks to spend to try and get it, even though i probably can't get it with that might as well try. How ever, I'm not completely sure if it's his amp or guitar(hell, maybe even pedals?), so hopefully you guys can shed some light on that.

Here's some songs for those of you who don't listen to the Cure but want to help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jTcTIc25Ck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x7vX2nBxFo

EDIT: I'm looking for there earlier album tone, forgot to add that.. He used Jazzmasters and the Fender IV basses but not sure when he started using the IV, I think it was later in their career.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Last edited by unicornfist at Dec 2, 2011,
if ur talking about the sound of the lead guitar in the second song you linked I would say either an old JC-120 or a pretty decent chorus pedal fed into either a 1x12 or 2x12 combo amp....
Quote by zombiesopus
if ur talking about the sound of the lead guitar in the second song you linked I would say either an old JC-120 or a pretty decent chorus pedal fed into either a 1x12 or 2x12 combo amp....

Mostly the rhythm, sorry, I should have made that more clear. Thanks anyways.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
looks like he was using either a Roland JC 120 or a solid state Peavey in the late 70s - early 80s. regardless you need a really good clean sound with some reverb and perhaps a touch of chorus. also looks like single coils preferably p-90 style or better yet the singles in a jazzmaster.
Quote by monwobobbo
looks like he was using either a Roland JC 120 or a solid state Peavey in the late 70s - early 80s. regardless you need a really good clean sound with some reverb and perhaps a touch of chorus. also looks like single coils preferably p-90 style or better yet the singles in a jazzmaster.

can you explain alittle more on the jazzmaster, i don't quite understand.
Current Gear:
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
Quote by unicornfist
can you explain alittle more on the jazzmaster, i don't quite understand.

the jazzmaster has fender made single coils that look like p-90s but aren't quite the same. they also aren't the same as say a strat either. the tone circuit of a jazzmaster is different as well and there really isn't any other guitars like it. you should be able to get reasonably close though with a guitar that has single coils even if they aren't the same.