So I was making research about people's pickup preferences, and i saw that Dimarzio doesn't get the respect it deserves. They have the same range with seymour duncan and emg's, and have pretty awesome pickups, mostly the legendary Super Distortion or smooth PAF ones, but i see that people building new guitars don't prefer Dimarzio. And the companies except Ibanez, are really dismissing Dimarzio. That's what i saw so far.I did see many people changing their pickups with seymour and emg ones. And I can clearly say dimarzio is slightly natural then them, and are better pickups then EMG, but I generally see that people mostly adds the super distortion to the les paul's. And except that i didn't see a modded guitar to dimarzio's much. I didn't see anyone changing pickups of strat to a Dimarzio, (except Ibanez). Is that caused that maybe they are most suitable with Ibanez guitarz or aren't they used by enough famous guitarists, or are they actually overpriced for their ranges?

I'd like to ask some questions if you have some time

What's your thoughts about it, and why it is not preferred this much?
Does it deserve same respect as EMG and Seymour Duncan do you think and is it at the same range and can be a rival to them?
What's your favorite dimarizo guitar pickup(s) and your experiences and thoughts about it...
Last edited by cemges at Dec 2, 2011,
I like the one's in the EBMM Axis. They're customs for that axe. EVH style over-wound and beastly.
^^^

^^ bareknuckle pickups

but yeah i mean while i don't like them as much as handwounds, i'd agree that a lot more guitar companides seem to use duncan than dimarzio and it'd be nice to have the option
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bkp Mean Bare Knuckle Pickups they are from the Uk and have great tone but its also like the only pick up company they have. Dimarizios are great pick ups I don't know why no one talks about them though....
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Last edited by Briyan_15 at Dec 2, 2011,
lolwut? there are several pickup companies here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
lolwut? there are several pickup companies here

What other companies do you guys have? I mean that are UK based? Not fighting you about it I just want to know.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by Briyan_15
What other companies do you guys have? I mean that are UK based? Not fighting you about it I just want to know.

no worries, i wouldn't have thought you were fighting with me

off the top of my head there's wizard, catswhisker, shed, rockmonkey, the creamery, bulldog, rd and sidewynder. probably a few more, too.

I've only tried bareknuckles, though. I have a set of swinesheads, but they closed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no worries, i wouldn't have thought you were fighting with me

off the top of my head there's wizard, catswhisker, shed, rockmonkey, the creamery, bulldog, rd and sidewynder. probably a few more, too.

I've only tried bareknuckles, though. I have a set of swinesheads, but they closed

Hugh... The only ones I've ever heard of are Bulldogs... These are all boutique style brands right?
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
I have experience with some of the high ouput humbuckers (X2N/D activator/Super 2) and I was really satisfied. I dont really like the Air Norton though because its not bright enough for me, but they all sound really good. I also like the coil split mode to get at least decent cleans even from the X2N.
Quote by Briyan_15
Hugh... The only ones I've ever heard of are Bulldogs... These are all boutique style brands right?

yeah pretty much.

some are actually pretty decent value though (at least here compared to what things like duncans go for).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dunno where you got that info from. I have 3 Ibanez guitars and they all have Dimarzio pickups.

Order is Bridge/Neck:

CrunchLab/Liquifire in my RG570
Evolution/PAF Pro in my RG2120X
Evolution 7/Blaze 7 in my RG7421

I love them all except the PAF Pro. It just has that kind of weird, throaty, almost hollow kind of sound and I don't like it as a neck pickup.
The one that really surprised me was the Blaze 7. I found out not too long ago that it's a ceramic pickup. Normally I wouldn't get a ceramic neck pickup, but it came with it. The reason I was surprised was because it's a fairly tame pickup. Ceramic and hot, yes, but in terms of voicing I'd put it somewhere between the PAF Pro and the Liquifire. Not as fluid and silky as the LiquiFire (as the name suggests), but not as throaty and hollow as the PAF Pro. A pretty good go-between of the two pickups, which is nice because the LiquiFire can be almost overbearing in some instances.
^ he means stock in off-the-shelf guitars.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dimarzio have done it to themselves.

EMG advertise to the metal, country and jazz markets and can be found in every country at a reasonable price and have gotten their products to be used as stock items by nearly every manufacturer.

Seymour Duncan advertise to rock, pop, blues, country, metal and a little to jazz. Like EMG they have made sure all of their products are easy to get hold of world wide at a reasonable cost and they've gotten their products in as stock items on many brands' guitars.

Dimarzio only advertise to the modern market. They make a few 'classic' pickups but they don't bother telling anyone about them. Instead they spend most of their marketing resources on getting a few popular shredders to promote them. Lots of DM pickups are either signature models or they make it clear were developed with particular players and that puts off anyone who doesn't care for that player. They also mess around worrying too much about brand loyalty, going so far as to make DM knobs, straps, cables, everything. Their tactic is to hook in the teenage wannabe-Vais and hope that these kids become so invested in their products that they never look elsewhere. It works to an extent but it means they haven't progressed outside of that one market. Meanwhile the country and pop markets which are way, way bigger markets than metal have been cornered by EMG and SD.

I can go into any instrument store and find a range of SD pickups. Any I can't find in store are easily found online. They typically cost between £60 and £70 and will be in my hands within a couple of days at most.

I can't find EMGs in stores but they are everywhere online. I could even order them direct from EMG. Again they tend to cost around the £70 mark and will arrive within a few days.

I can't find DM pickups in stores and I struggle to find many online. Very few EU websites stock them compared to the other two brands. The ones that do stock them rarely stock the full range of DM pickups. More often than not DM pickups are treated a special order item even when not buying a custom color. A couple of the most common models can sometimes be found in stock for about £70 but that's rare. If I want for example a Bluesbucker with a metal cover then that's a special order that will cost me at least £80 and it will be about two weeks before it arrives at the earliest.

I can get a pickup made to my specifications, hand wound, for around the same £80 the DM would cost me and it'll be finished and posted within a week.

DM make a good product but they're almost as bad as Gibson and Fender when it comes to marketing their products and making sure people can actually get hold of them.
Much like what grohl is saying, I think 'respect' is often measured by public opinion, which is heavily influenced by marketing. Sure, lots of people can think for themselves, but half (or more) of the population are just sheeple. If a company can convince the mindless masses that their product justifies a premium price, they can be more profitable. Now, its not all marketing, you have to have a decent quality product. But ineffective marketing of a similar quality product is really going to hurt.

Another very noticeable vocal minority are jerks who need to express their opinion as ultimately correct. (might include me, I can't tell from this side) There is a position that is hard to argue against, "you get what you pay for". Arrogant know-it-alls nearly always hold to this, bolstering the high price on products that manage to market a reputation, and leveraging that status to make their personal opinions seem important. In many cases, I think "you get what you pay for" is a fallacy. Of course, to admit that after spending money or bragging about your superior opinion would mean that you spent a lot for nothing extra.

I am often very pleased with the performance of extremely inexpensive nameless products (usually from China) including pickups. I have had some dismal failures, too, but it cost so little that I don't mind. So if someone wants to claim that Brand X is as good as than Brand Y, just remember how subjective the comparison is and let everyone have their own opinion.
Well i actually talk about guitar companies while saying respect, well I mean only Ibanez comes with dimarzio right? But i say, I'd like an esp eclipse/ltd ec-1000 with super distortion-paf combo more then SD jb's, well I don't like the SD's that much actually, they don't have the organic sound for me. And the new Ibanez super wizard prestige series, which comes with tone zone-true velvet-air norton combo, i think this guitar's are better then all other guitars for me, forget all fender-gibson-esp-prs etc. This guitar is a solid built full well setup guitar.
Quote by cemges
But i say, I'd like an esp eclipse/ltd ec-1000 with super distortion-paf combo more then SD jb's, well I don't like the SD's that much actually, they don't have the organic sound for me.
I've never ever seen or heard anyone say any Dimarzios are more 'organic sounding' than equivalent SDs. Especially a high output ceramic pickup like the Super Distortion.

Try a scatter wound pickup, something with very mismatched coils, no cover, no wax potting and an alnico 4 magnet. DC 8k or under. Then you'll know what an 'organic' pickup sounds like.

This guitar is a solid built full well setup guitar.
Actually played one yet? Because you're sounding like somebody taken in by marketing and what the spec sheets say.
ibanez isn't teh only company that uses dimarzio. maybe teh only big company. but certainly lag and vigier use dimarzios on some of their models. yamaha has used them on occasion, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah i knew i was forgetting somebody obvious. now that i think of it, bc rich uses dimarzio, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ive used SD's, Dimarzios and BKPs. I much prefer bkp for the bridge but cant get away from the Air Norton neck. My Sd's have a huge range of tones, but cant get at dirty as I'd like.