So I have been playing Ltd for years. Have been extremely happy with them. Everything from EC's to F series to vipers. They were all great in they're own way. So the next logical step, or so I thought, was to buy an ESP when I had the cash. That's exactly what I did. I got the ESP standard series eclipse in vintage black. Looks great! Sounds like ass. The best way I can describe it is, even when the strings are brand new, it sounds very dull, like the strings are months old. I play very frequently and change strings at least every week or two. Always change them before a show. But this thing just sounds DEAD.I don't get it. Anyone else hear of this? Or did I just get a lemon? I was thinking about rewiring it from scratch. I opened the cavity and it sure looks pretty in there, but it's wired completely different than the way Ltd's are wired. Maybe use the guts from an Ltd that sounds great? I don't know.
Kill it with fire. Buy a Les Paul.
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
Mb889, I have given that serious thought. I even went so far as to write ESP about this issue with no reply. I emailed them at least six or seven times and it's like they have vanished. They're customer service is God awful. I even told them Im selling all of my Ltd's and my ESP and buying a les Paul. I might make good on my threat. I've just grown attached to this thing. Maybe it's just psychological. Seeing that ESP on the headstock means way more than it should to me.
Last edited by Maximo33 at Dec 2, 2011,
It probably isn't the sound as much as the playability. Does it play better?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I wonder if it's not a difference in taste? I'm not a big fan of the lower end models, they just don't do it for me. But I love the Eclipse.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Laidback,.. it doesn't even Play that much better. And to be honest, I have an mh400 that absolutely smokes my ESP on playability. That could be taste since they are such different models. But I was expecting much more from a guitar costing as much as it did. And I could live with it's lack of playability if it sounded as good as it looks. You can tell some serious craftsmanship goes into these guitars. It looks perfect. The tone was so disappointing. When I got it and plugged it in my heart sank. I opened the cavity to see if there was a bad solder joint or ANYTHING that could explain it, to no avail.
It came with the emg 81/60 setup. Which I have in a few of my Ltd's and like them a lot. What are in yours?
have you changed the battery? sounds like what i usually hear happening to old batteries in active pickups
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I honestly don't know what to tell you man. Maybe you did get a lemon. But why would you sell the guitars you like because of one lemon? Look into the 18 volt mod for active EMGs. That might help.

edit: ^that too
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Artemis, I thought of that as well. But I had an Ltd ec1000 before and it played and sounded really good. I have heard of dead frequencies in the wood of guitars but I have never heard of a guitar that is totally dead in all frequencies. I just wonder if it's just a crapper. The best way to describe it is it has a dead tone, real muffled, bassy,.. in a bad way.
i traded my LTD EC-1000FR for a Gibson Marauder, which i then traded for a 2006 Gibson SG.. great decision.
mojostompboxes.com
change the battery, see what happens.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yeah Im going to try the 18volt mod right now actually. If it still sounds like ass Im gonna put the guts from my ec1000 into it. That guitar sounds great. I'd rather have the ESP going though. Thanks guys. All else fails, I guess I'll go with the tried and true les Paul. Maybe I should go through some serious sound checks before throwing cash down next time.
What wood is it? What wood is your MH?
The battery thing is a good idea.

And what do you mean by dead? Be a bit more specific. Do you mean its dark sounding?
Less treble? Have you tried EQing your amp differently? Settings I use on my MH sound shit on my H and vice versa.

ESP's arent like lower LTD's- that stuff is usually very well made.
no, just change the one battery right now. just the one. and report back. sure, you could also do the 18V mod later, but check if it's not just a dead battery issue.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by mb889
Kill it with fire. Buy a Les Paul.

...that's definitely going in my sig.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2