So, lately ive been trying to write some songs...and well im having trouble. my problem is finding a scale/key that sounds dark, to use for my leads and solos. (btw, im playing metal...dont know exactly what subgenre...) any ideas? any licks you wouldnt mind me stealin/using? thanks for any help
It isn't so much what scale you use, it's how you use the actual notes. Listen to some bands and try to come up with how they get that particular sound.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Ive tried that...do you know of any i dont know what to call them...progressions i guess? like a 4th to a 7th...that kind of stuff that sounds dark?
?
Like Kalo Hanaka said, it has nothing to do with what scale you use. It's pure the combination and timing of the notes. I don't know any scales/theory or whatever but I think you can make any scale feel dark or happy. I just learn everything by ear, even small tv-commercial licks and stuff. That way you (sub)consciously learn how to ''program'' notes. Not that I'm able to do that, but I feel am getting better and better.
Quote by Joenuh
Like Kalo Hanaka said, it has nothing to do with what scale you use. It's pure the combination and timing of the notes. I don't know any scales/theory or whatever but I think you can make any scale feel dark or happy. I just learn everything by ear, even small tv-commercial licks and stuff. That way you (sub)consciously learn how to ''program'' notes. Not that I'm able to do that, but I feel am getting better and better.

this is quite possibly the best post i've ever read by someone who didn't know theory. spot on. if you had to, by good phrasing and tone, you could make a major key sound sad.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Harmonic minor all day long brotha!! Well at least that's a good place to start. If you are interested in learning how to produce some dark, sinister sounding leads check out www.guitarvudu.com Tony is doing a masterclass on metal guitar for the students there this month.
There are definitely plenty of usages of a major key that I wouldn't describe as exactly "happy" sounding (I'd point you to just about any ballad in a major key; "happy" isn't exactly a word that comes to mind when I listen to, say, Shawn Lane's version of "Once Upon A Time In The West"). Some of the most tear-jerking music I've ever heard has been in a major key.

And, of course, there are a lot more kinds of qualities we could ascribe to something other than "happy or sad".
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 3, 2011,
I just mess around with diminished scales (whole half scale, half whole scale and the one that goes up in minor 3rds) and the harmonic minor scale. I find that I can come up with some interesting sounding things using those. Otherwise I've taken a liking to augmented 5th jumps, tritones and chromatics.
Quote by AeolianWolf
this is quite possibly the best post i've ever read by someone who didn't know theory. spot on. if you had to, by good phrasing and tone, you could make a major key sound sad.

Thanks man! Means a lot