I have an Ibanez RG with their version of the Floyd Rose. I own about 12 guitars, but this is my first with this sort of trem. Everything seems to be in order, however I'm having a hard time fretting chords using the low side (first few frets) of the E and A strings. When I push them down with any effort, they go out of tune pretty badly. At worst, probably about halfway to the next note.

Am I correct in assuming that something is wrong here? In order to get the right now, I have to press so lightly that the string doesn't touch the fretboard.

Is this something a proper setup should fix, or an inherent issue with these systems? I'm not sure I could ever adjust.
what is actually causing the tuning problem? can you see teh trem moving, or is it just that teh guitar's frets are so big that pushing them down to the fretboard makes teh notes go flat? if it's teh latter, the only real fix is playing more lightly (as you're doing), or get it refretted with smaller frets.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the nut is tight.

I can't see the trem moving, but I can feel a VERY slight tug on it with my other hand when pressing the string down. At first I thought it could be the fret height as well, but I just compared them to my Vox SDC-55 and the Vox frets are noticeably taller -- but no problems on that instrument.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the trem is probably not set up properly. I'm willing to bet that the spring tension is off.
i could be wrong but i'm not sure that that'd do it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe, I definitely don't know as much about it as I wish I did right now. I just figured that if the spring tension is off, it could cause things to more easily pull one way -- or in the very least, set the tremolo in the wrong starting position.
Thanks everyone. I will be bringing it to a place that supposedly does good work. Thankfully this appears to be one of the good Ibanez trems.
Solution - block the trem.

But if you don't want to do that, I'd take it to a shop like some have mentioned above. Just ask to get it checked out/set up properly and you should be good to go
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W