I'm looking to buy a replacement for my (really crap) Boss MT-2. I want something which will give me some bite, and crunch, but also deliver in the bass and make it good and heavy. I play melodic metal, but use a lot of open bottom string (tuned to drop c) and want to have a really screaming solo sound, at the same time as a crunchy rhythm sound with plenty of attack. I've got a budget really of up to $150 although if I really have to go higher to get what I want I guess I will. I play through an old fender Sidekick solidstate, but I've put a celestion V-10 speaker into it, and it makes a really really nice clean sound. I just want my distortion to sound less aweful. Any tips?
I'm also up for the possibility of buying a new amp altogether, and one with distortion inbuilt, I'd have an absolute max limit of $800 for that (I'm from the UK I'm just converting to dollars cause that's more helpful for most of you guys)
Thanks for your help
I like the Metal Muff. The Line 6 Uber Metal is cool too, but that one you have to really mess around with.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
The Line 6 Uber Metal is cool too, but that one you have to really mess around with.

This, it does take a little messing around with to get the exact sound you want though. I have one and I absolutely love it and don't intend to get rid of it anytime soon. Built in noise gate is a nice touch too.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Quote by jamicmac5
fender Sidekick solidstate

There's your problem. Look at Peavey tube amps. They're awesome for melodic metal.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
I'd get a better amp, unless your in love with yours.

The Krank-Shaft is pretty good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jamicmac5
I'm also up for the possibility of buying a new amp altogether, and one with distortion inbuilt, I'd have an absolute max limit of $800 for that (I'm from the UK I'm just converting to dollars cause that's more helpful for most of you guys)
Thanks for your help
For $800 you can afford a Carvin V3Mc, Jet City JCA5012c, Peavey 6505+ 112, used Peavey XXX, Blackstar HT-40, and your asking for a new distortion pedal? To be played with a cheap shit practice amp?

Throw the kiddy amp and the Metal Zone in the trash, buy one of the above options, and be 10x happier.
METAL MUFF
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
^ +1. Some of the most intense distortion you'll ever get out of a pedal (I never turn mine past halfway on the gain knob, and it's still ridiculously crunchy), and the treble boost is perfect for leads.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 2, 2011,
Amptweaker Tightmetal Pedal. I've played on alot of distortion pedals, everything from the cheaper boss ones to $300 boutique ones. This is the best one yet. It was designed by the amp designer that did the 5150, and if you know anything about metal tone, that is one of the most well known metal amps out there. The pedal was designed more from the point of view of an amp maker than a pedal maker. It has awesome tone, built in noise gate, built in effects loop that you can set pre or post distortion. Seriously go to youtube and give it a listen.
I swear by Boss pedals but I really think a new amp would be a better choice. Fender amps of any kind aren't made for metal and a solid state one in particular is going to have really great cleans but any kind of distortion you put through it is always going to sound weak and thin.

Dude above who suggested Peavey has it right. For tighter budgets Peavey make a good range of metal amps with American-style sparkling cleans.

Maybe look at the new line 6 hybrid modelling amps. If you like solid state tone but want a richer crunch and distorted sound then that might be the best compromise. They're brighter than all tube amps, have a richer tone than completely SS amps and obviously because they're modelling they have several style sof distortion on board.
okay thanks for the feedback I think i'd be best off investing in a new amp in that case. tempted by either the 6505+ or the Line 6 Spider MKII. as grohl1987 said the line 6 would have lots of distortion models to play with. How does the 6505+ compare? other than being £150 less :P does it have a lot of options to play with? or once I have it am i stuck with the distortion I have, unless I buy a pedal. If that's the case I recon I'm better off buying a Spider, but I do like a lot of other peavey amps that I've played. How much will I be able to change if I get the 6505+ because I do like being able to change my sound a lot, one of the few advantages I found in the MT-2 which gave you many different kinds of crap distortion.
the line 6 spider IV 75 looks pretty awesome too. although it is much cheaper, is there a reason for that?
Last edited by jamicmac5 at Dec 3, 2011,
Aren't distortion pedals supposed to drive TUBE amps?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by jamicmac5
the line 6 spider IV 75 looks pretty awesome too. although it is much cheaper, is there a reason for that?
Grohl was referring to the newer Line 6 DT series, not the Spider series. The Spider series is terrible, and would probably give worse sound than your MT-2. There is indeed a reason it's much cheaper, because it is absolute shit.

The Spider Valve is decent, but if you're going to spend that money you might as well get the Peavey Vypyr Tube. Much better sounding and far more versatility for the price.

If I were you I'd get a real tube amp instead of a modeling amp. You'll be more satisfied in the long run.

Quote by Woffelz
Aren't distortion pedals supposed to drive TUBE amps?
No. An overdrive pedal drives a tube amp, a distortion pedal on the other hand works as instant coffee mix for guitar tone. OD pedals will kill solid state or digital amps, while distortion pedals put out a normal level of power.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Grohl was referring to the newer Line 6 DT series, not the Spider series.
Yeah this is what I meant. The Spiders are terrible as everyone knows. The DTs sound really good, if you're not after totally vintage tone. At least the head is, I've not tried the smaller ones.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

If I were you I'd get a real tube amp instead of a modeling amp. You'll be more satisfied in the long run.
Oh definitely. This is true for most people. But some people like that precise bite that solid state gives you so hybrid amps can be a good compromise.
Last edited by grohl1987 at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
No. An overdrive pedal drives a tube amp, a distortion pedal on the other hand works as instant coffee mix for guitar tone. OD pedals will kill solid state or digital amps, while distortion pedals put out a normal level of power.

All you said about OD pedals here is pretty much BS.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
ones a combo amp..... the other is a head and cab..... totally different.....
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by jamicmac5
why is http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-6505-plus-112-combo/37958 so much cheaper than http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-6505-plus-head/5226 is it just cause of the lower power or is there some other reason?
Not just lower power but it's also made in China, cheaper components, cheaper build quality, less reliable, etc. That doesn't mean it's bad, as it's still a decent amp, but the head will be far superior.

Though I suggest instead going with the Carvin V3Mc. It's a bit pricier, but it's USA made, more versitile, far better cleans, and better constructed than the 6505. You also have the option of it being shipped with a Celestion V30 loaded in it (V30's are the standard guitar speakers for Metal).
can't afford the head even slightly, and it would mean i'd need a cab to go with it, so that's a definite no no. thanks that looks really good i'll see if any of my local shops stock one that i can try out...
whoaaa just found the price of that thing (V3Mc) it looks good but its £1200 i can't even start to afford that... shit
Quote by jamicmac5
whoaaa just found the price of that thing (V3Mc) it looks good but its £1200 i can't even start to afford that... shit
Damn, I guess being in England eliminates the whole factory direct prices with Carvin products. In the US you can only order Carvin's stuff factory direct, which eliminates the middle man and keeps prices down. Here, the V3Mc is only $700, which is about £450 to you guys. But since factory direct would be too complicated overseas they have to use distributors.

I guess the 6505+ combo would be the way to go, or you could also have a look at the Jet City JCA5012c (NOT 5212), it's more than capable of metal sounds but will also be better for cleans and lead tones than the 6505, and I believe it costs a bit less as well (or maybe the same, I can't remember).