Page 1 of 2
* Not sure where to post this. I apologize for any inconvenience *

Just browsing through ESP's website I came across what I though was a rather cool hoodie (nothing fancy, just the embroidered logo). I've seen similarly interesting stuff by Fender, Ibanez and others.

Got me thinking, which is why I come to ask you guys, both as guitarists and just regular guys, what would you think about someone wearing this? (thinking in a casual setting, day-to-day errands, or like, class)

If somebody wore this everyday or dressed head-to-toe in stuff like it I'm sure people would consider him a poser/wannabe/stuck-up, probably rightly so, unless the guy is sponsored or something.

But what about someone else? Wearing it in the appropriate setting, and casual about it, wannabe schmuck or guy who happens to play the guitar?

PS: Please don't start on "you shouldn't care about what others think" and "decide for yourself". I'm interested in your opinion both as guitarists and just regular guys on "sporting the guitarist label", not social advice.

Thanks!
Last edited by Rainmaker31 at Dec 2, 2011,
I personally hate when I see the cliched Fender or Gibson t shirt on the 20 soomthing with a wannabe beard, strumming his epiphone accoustic dontown on random saturday afternoons.

If you play guitar, you dont have to advertise it with the same compnaies clothing.

If you are loyal/like one particular brand, and feel obligated to freely advertise for them, do it tastefully, and with class.

I personally see no point in owning a shirt from a guitar compnay if you don't own one of their guitars as well...I returned a Fender shirt last christman cause I didn't have a fender instrument.

To me, the blantant advertising of a guitar companies products (Lets just use gibson) is irritating as hell.

Even if the said offender owns a gibby, his constant bragging (as that is what it is) is soo annoying, its like the guy who wont shut up about his girlfriend...
"My gf this, my gf that...she's sooo ____"
"Did i mention I have a gf?"
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Dec 2, 2011,
It would make me think "cool this guy plays guitar" and hopefully he did.

I saw this old school long hair guy at the store last night wearing a shirt with guitars all over it and that was my exact thought.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I wouldn't spend a significant amount of money on a T shirt, but I do however remember buying a Fender watch and wearing it for a coupe years. I remember the sales pitch on the box, it said

"Fender, because music is all about timing"

I found it clever.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Personally, I don't really wear shirts with much on them... except you know, Led Zeppelin shirts and amazingly awesome stuff like that, but I guess a black or white "Fender" tshirt would be cool, kinda like those addidas shirts, but I'm not a fan of a whole bunch of graphics. I'd still buy an Alfani or INC shirt over a Fender tshirt.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
I don't see anything wrong with wearing that. I don't really see it as advertising, rather support for a brand you enjoy. 90% of the people aren't going to notice anyway. Its similiar to wearing something with a sports logo or your companies logo.

I have a plain black shirt that says Gibson on it. I might wear it once a month, but definitely don't think it's a tacky thing to do.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
my girlfriend got me a fender shirt, and her mother got me a fender watch, i love em both but i never really looked at it as advertising that i play guitar... never thought of it as tacky i actually like them.

Oh and i have tons of fender gear so i do endorse them but i wouldnt go out of my way to purchase apparel for any company that i enjoy. I see the same argument alot on motorcycle forums when you see a guy with a honda jacket riding a suzuki, i dont think its a huge issue. doesnt get me going at all, i usually think "yea i like fender too!!!"

Now what i do hate is guys dressed in mma apparel.
Quote by zamanakhan
Now what i do hate is guys dressed in mma apparel.

THANK YOU

That shit and Tapout pisses me off
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
I own and wear a Martin shirt and I don't own a Martin. I took the tour of the Martin factory with my old man a few years ago and he bought it for me as a momento. I also own a Fender shirt which I wear regularly. I do own 2 Fenders though. I don't run track but I wear a shirt sometimes that says Adidas. Whats the big deal? Wear what you want. Unless its a blank shirt it likely has some sort of logo on it. I don't play for the Sabres but I own a jersey.
Quote by LZRocker
THANK YOU

I LOVE YOU!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by LZRocker
THANK YOU

Am I allowed to wear it considering I am a former pro fighter and have been watching the sport since the beginning? Does that make me a douche?
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by guitarguychris1
Am I aloud to wear it considering I am a former pro fighter and have been watching the sport since the beginning? Does that make me a douche?

Nah man, you're good.

Its only bad if you're 14 and and a pussy.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
If I got one for free I would wear it. But I don’t pay anybody else to walk around wearing a logo.
Quote by thetalonguy
I don't see anything wrong with wearing that. I don't really see it as advertising, rather support for a brand you enjoy.

This. I guess I just don't really care, to be honest.

that being said, people who wear necklaces with guitar picks on them deserve to be executed.
^
+1

I personally find it okay wearing guitar apparel.
Just sporting your interest I guess.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by :-D

that being said, people who wear necklaces with PICK OF DESTINY picks on them deserve to be executed.

FIXED

I wear clothes that I like. But yes Tapout clothes are horrid as is that Ed Hardy crap so many people are wearing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have maybe two Fender shirts and wear them once in a while. I really don't have a problem with people wearing them, though it does annoy me when they don't actually play guitar.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
If I could get a black hoodie with the Orange logo on the front and back, I'd do it, the logo on a black background just looks badass.
When I was tracking one day a Fender rep visited the studio. He saw I was playing a Jazz bass, and he gave me a Fender beenie. I wear it almost every day, although, now you can get them at guitar center. Makes it much less cool.

I would totally be Fender's billboard if they gave me free stuff.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 2, 2011,
I don't mind it.

But I hate people that can't play guitar wearing Fender/Gibson shirts......

*sees someone in school with Gibson T-shirt*
Me-"I didn't know you play guitar."
Guy: "I don't."
-"Why do you have a Gibson shirt?"
:"I like Gibson."
-"What about them?"
:"Their guitars"
-"Have you tried one?"
:"No, I can't play"
-"................ooooooooookay?"

True Story
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
You're basically paying these companies for you to advertise them. It's stupid.

If you really put that much stock in what brands you buy then you've got issues. Get the **** out more and you'll see that nobody gives a shit what companies you buy products from.
people who wear necklaces with guitar picks on them deserve to be executed.

Agreed! Most of those people don't even play the guitar.
I think t-shirts with guitar brand logos are sweet, but the wearer has to own that brand of guitar. Shirts like this look awesome in my opinion:
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
If somebody gave me a PRS sweatshirt I'd wear it, it's stupid if you're wearing a Gibson t shirt and dont even play guitar.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
^^

If someone gave me a PRS I'd wear it everywhere. It would be hard not to stab people with the tuners though.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have a Fender hoodie, just black with a silver Fender logo on it, nothing more on it. I play Fender guitars. who cares?
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by guitarguychris1
Am I allowed to wear it considering I am a former pro fighter and have been watching the sport since the beginning? Does that make me a douche?

That actually just makes you a hoss.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by BlindNematode
I LOVE YOU!

No homo?
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by guitarguychris1

nah dude, its still bad. I fight, but i wear brands like badboy, or shoyoroll, non-douchey sparkly flaming skulls with angel wings shirts
Quote by bragglefraggle
nah dude, its still bad. I fight, but i wear brands like badboy, or shoyoroll, non-douchey sparkly flaming skulls with angel wings shirts

sparkly with flaming sucks and non-douchey..... hmm....
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia

that being said, people who wear necklaces with guitar picks on them deserve to be executed.

only if guys do it...chicks who do it cause their BF's play guitar is cool..other than that..no...

This comeing from a guy who chews on his guitar ppicks night and day...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I have a Fender sticker on the back of my car, but it came with my Bassman. I find nothing wrong with it. I do however think its very silly and snobbish to be annoyed by it, more important things in this world than being annoyed over someone's shirt with a logo on it. You never know if that person you see wearing the shirt accually has an item from that brand or not...

Its no different than wearing a logo from a brand of something else not music related.

I take it a step further...i have a Les Paul tattoo'd on my right arm...but it doesnt say Gibson though, otherwise i'd be inclined to own one lol.

Anyone who has a beef with it needs to grow up.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Dec 3, 2011,
I don't see it as advertising. It's the same as wearing a band tee, IMO. You're not out promoting a product, you're just sharing your interests with the world. I'll most likely buy an ESP hoodie when I actually own an ESP. Because I like and respect them as a company, and want to show that, the same way that I have a ton of band tees from bands I like and respect.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by guitarguychris1

is it 2 sizes too small?

ur allowed to do whatever strikes ur fancy, too be 100% honest what your wearing wont matter... its how you act. When i see someone in tight mma apparrel i immediately think of freshmen gathered around in a bar yelling at the tv watching mma, with a headache inducing aroma of axe body spray. Because of this i have a preconceived notion of people that dress certain ways, everyone does. same thing goes for women with huge hair off of the cast of jersey shore. Having said that... some of the most memorable and life long friends that i have do just that^^^ and we all know its just a phase like uggs, its the person not what they are wearing.

I am obsessed with plaid... hell my bedsheets are plaid and when i lay ontop of them with my bathrobe i am literally camouflaged... i bet someone has a problem with that, my girlfriend sure as hell does.
Last edited by zamanakhan at Dec 3, 2011,
i really dont wear much as far as t-shirts go. i have a ted weber shirt he sent free with his logo. i dont have a problem with that. i can't justify paying $20+ for a t-shirt that says fender or gibson, if i was given one yea i would wear it. i would rather wear band shirts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have several guitar related shirts, not all are t-shirts. I often get positive comments on them. But I get the same thing on some of my brewery shirts as well, so who knows.
I don't think I'd wear one. Sounds poser-ish to me. Like ***YO GIRLS I CAN SERENADE YOU WITH MY GEETARRR***
oh ****....it is a shirt or a hoodie or a hat...who gives a fvck?...why do you care?

why do you care what other people wear?

and why do you care what other people think of what you wear?

just wear what you want to wear....and let others do the same....just a bunch of judgemental pricks that like to think they are better than everyone else....
I haz gotten gud
You care way too much about what other people think.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by grohl1987
You're basically paying these companies for you to advertise them. It's stupid.

If you really put that much stock in what brands you buy then you've got issues. Get the **** out more and you'll see that nobody gives a shit what companies you buy products from.

well, think about it, in a way, you're doing that when you buy one of their guitars too, if you gig with it.

the thing about brands on shirts is whether you like it or not, people who don't know you get an idea of what sort of person you are based on how you look and what you are wearing and they can sort of identify with you if you're wearing a shirt with the logo of a band that they like for example. silly but true. everyone does this whether they realise it or not, but few will admit it because it's not "cool", which is kind of ironic really when you think about it...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by LZRocker
sparkly with flaming sucks and non-douchey..... hmm....

was saying those were the douchey ones, too late to type correctly
Page 1 of 2