Page 1 of 2
Hey guys n gals, I'm amp shopping and am looking for input.

Budget - $700ish new or used
Genre - Mostly gainy lead stuff/rock/metal - lots of the old Shrapnel shredders, Petrucci, Gilbert, etc., but I play plenty of older rock/blues too, so a nice bluesy rock sound is important, and so are decent cleans. As far as metal goes, I'm fine with an amp that gets me to thrash and can be pushed into "uber" territory with a clean OD.

I had narrowed my options down to an older Mesa, like the DC-5 or 3, the Blackstar Club 40, or the Jet City JCA22/JCA50. Trouble is, I can't try out the Mesa or the Jet City stuff; I live near Washington DC and the only dealers for Jet City ( mostly Guitar Centers ) within 100 miles literally don't have a single amp ( except the JCA20 at a store about 75 miles South ) in store, and finding a used DC-5 anywhere but on eBay has proved impossible. I'm nervous about buying a popular amp like the Jet City or Mesa without trying them myself, because I've liked sound clips from companies like Krank, or the high gain Peavey stuff, and then in real life they sound like buzzy fizz machines.

I played the Blackstar today and it was pretty good, but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of buying one of those other amps "blind"? The Blackstar was "enough" if you take my meaning, but not suuuuper impressive. The lack of control over the clean channel was annoying, and the blues tones could be better. The lead channel lacked a bit of "snarl" that seems to be present in the Jet City amps, but then that's just from clips...

Are there other amps I'm missing that fit this bill? I've tried all the Peavey stuff in this price range, which is what usually get's recommended around here, and can't stand it: the 5150/6505, XXX, and JSX all sound fizzy to me, and their cleans are horrid. I had a XXX for the longest time, but that was back when I actually liked EMG's too, so maybe that tells you what's happened to my taste over the years...

Thoughts?
blackstar sux, get the jet city

[/bandwagon]
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by itamar100
jet city. it will always be jet city unless compared to an amps $500 more expensive.

This is why I'm NOT going to buy them without trying until I hear from people I trust

Everyone raved about the Blackstar amps just like they're doing about Jet City now; 6-12 months from now it will be something else. After the "Blackstar HT-5's are better than an ENGL stack!!11!" phase was over people just started saying it about the next new company, which just happens to be Jet City.

I'm trying to avoid the "forum hype" philosophy here. Everyone went gaga when a couple Marshall people left and started Blackstar, and now a few designs made it out of the Soldano machine into Jet City in much the same way; they're great amps I'm sure, but just like Blackstar was over-hyped when they were new, I'm betting Jet City is getting the same kind of attention.
Quote by lumberjack
This is why I'm NOT going to buy them without trying until I hear from people I trust

Everyone raved about the Blackstar amps just like they're doing about Jet City now; 6-12 months from now it will be something else. After the "Blackstar HT-5's are better than an ENGL stack!!11!" phase was over people just started saying it about the next new company, which just happens to be Jet City.

I'm trying to avoid the "forum hype" philosophy here. Everyone went gaga when a couple Marshall people left and started Blackstar, and now a few designs made it out of the Soldano machine into Jet City in much the same way; they're great amps I'm sure, but just like Blackstar was over-hyped when they were new, I'm betting Jet City is getting the same kind of attention.

but far less. the jet city is a totally stripped down amp in terms of cosmetics and features and all money is spent on good electronics. nost as pretty as a marshall or fender but definately better value for money. i tried one in my local shop a short while ago cause im planning on buying one and i have to say that it has just the tone i want and sounds great.
Quote by lumberjack
Hey guys n gals, I'm amp shopping and am looking for input.

Budget - $700ish new or used
Genre - Mostly gainy lead stuff/rock/metal - lots of the old Shrapnel shredders, Petrucci, Gilbert, etc., but I play plenty of older rock/blues too, so a nice bluesy rock sound is important, and so are decent cleans. As far as metal goes, I'm fine with an amp that gets me to thrash and can be pushed into "uber" territory with a clean OD.

I had narrowed my options down to an older Mesa, like the DC-5 or 3, the Blackstar Club 40, or the Jet City JCA22/JCA50. Trouble is, I can't try out the Mesa or the Jet City stuff; I live near Washington DC and the only dealers for Jet City ( mostly Guitar Centers ) within 100 miles literally don't have a single amp ( except the JCA20 at a store about 75 miles South ) in store, and finding a used DC-5 anywhere but on eBay has proved impossible. I'm nervous about buying a popular amp like the Jet City or Mesa without trying them myself, because I've liked sound clips from companies like Krank, or the high gain Peavey stuff, and then in real life they sound like buzzy fizz machines.

I played the Blackstar today and it was pretty good, but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of buying one of those other amps "blind"? The Blackstar was "enough" if you take my meaning, but not suuuuper impressive. The lack of control over the clean channel was annoying, and the blues tones could be better. The lead channel lacked a bit of "snarl" that seems to be present in the Jet City amps, but then that's just from clips...

Are there other amps I'm missing that fit this bill? I've tried all the Peavey stuff in this price range, which is what usually get's recommended around here, and can't stand it: the 5150/6505, XXX, and JSX all sound fizzy to me, and their cleans are horrid. I had a XXX for the longest time, but that was back when I actually liked EMG's too, so maybe that tells you what's happened to my taste over the years...

Thoughts?

Jet City amps are good value and good sound. Blackstar have there place, I don't personaly like them. There are many amp companys I just don't like their "sound" but That doesnt mean they are bad amps. I personaly have only played through a hand full of Marshall's tha I have liked and they aren't any of the ones that always get recomended here(Class 5 the exeption). But lots of people get some great tones from them and I know that, but I cant seem to like them enugh to buy one.

There are so many diff amps just like guitars, because not everyone likes the same things.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blackstars are hybrids claiming to be tube amps, for one thing. They're of totally different pedigrees, IMO.

I'd narrow down your comparison to the Mesa and the Jet City. www.tonefinder.com is a great website for comparing amp tones, as lots of people upload clips of their amps there. Just enter 'Jet City' and 'Mesa DC' and you'll find the clips you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
i have both. well, the jca2112rc and the 100 version of the blackstar. i know exactly what you mean. the blackstar is a great amp, but i prefer the tone of my jet city. imo the tone of jet city is better, but if you need channels/buttons like i do, the blackstar is a good compromise. actually im trying to sell my blackstar so i can get a carvin v3m, you should check them out.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
i have both. well, the jca2112rc and the 100 version of the blackstar. i know exactly what you mean. the blackstar is a great amp, but i prefer the tone of my jet city. imo the tone of jet city is better, but if you need channels/buttons like i do, the blackstar is a good compromise. actually im trying to sell my blackstar so i can get a carvin v3m, you should check them out.

That Carvin looks intriguing, and quite affordable. How can something so affordable actually do all those tones WELL though? Have you played it?

Plus, if I can muster up a little more money, what about the Engl Gigmaster series? They seem pretty happenin'. Heck, I could even snag a Thunder 50w used as long as I'm willing to throw down an extra $100 or so...dammit. There's so many amps out there in this price range that fit my specs on paper, but need to be played...

Oh lord, the DC-5 is ideal for the stuff you're into.

I owned one for a while and it worked great for hard/classic rock and funk, but my Petrucci-style shredder mate absolutely loved using it at jam nights. Nice cleans, great blues/rock tone, and tons of gain+ graphic EQ for heavy styles. Tons of volume too, and you're getting legendary Boogie build quality (I dropped mine down a short flight of steps without even breaking a tube).
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 2, 2011,
i had two Jet City amps, a 2112RC which is the 20 watt combo and the JCA50h, i didn't like either one of them. they just didn't sound good. i for sure can tell you its not the speaker used with them, because i ran the head through V30's K100's, T75's, a ML80, eminence legends, etc. didn't sound good in any of them. the 20 watt combo sounded better than the 50h to me tbh. they were each gone in less than 72 hours and i made money on both sales. but i wouldn't waste my time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i think at this point you should expound upon your definition of gainy lead stuff/rock/metal/blues and cleans....

Cleans - Warm enough to fake jazz from time to time; thick, rich, "blooming" if you will. Really not at all into that hi-fi sound, I prefer single coils with my clean tones, unless it's jazz, which I use the neck humbucker for: I split all my humbuckers for cleans except for the jazz situation, in which I'll roll down the tone a good ways and the volume a smidge.

Bluesy stuff: SRV/Clapton/John Mayer. Juicy, warm, vocal.

Lead stuff - Malmsteen, Petrucci, Guthrie Govan, Tony McAlpine etc.

Heavier stuff - Metal-core ( hate if you have to ). Unearth, Soilwork, KSE

EDIT - The more I look into that v3m the more compelling it seems; Carvin only sells direct from their factories/stores, correct? As in there's no-where in the East-Coast tri-state area I could go to try them out?
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 3, 2011,
From the sound of it, given your budget and preferences, it might be hard to find an amp that will completely cover all those bases by itself. I can think of some amps that can get you the warm cleans, and bluesy stuff, and the lead stuff, but not likely the metal stuff on top of that. I'm also of the opinion that a good chunk of the amps that are more geared toward metal will likely give you precisely that "buzzy fizz" that you don't like.

The Jet Citys do seem to be in that range that's perfect for your budget, but I've never played one and have limited knowledge about them.

The best suggestion I've seen so far is Carvin.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by Brainpolice2
From the sound of it, given your budget and preferences, it might be hard to find an amp that will completely cover all those bases by itself. I can think of some amps that can get you the warm cleans, and bluesy stuff, and the lead stuff, but not likely the metal stuff on top of that. I'm also of the opinion that a good chunk of the amps that are more geared toward metal will likely give you precisely that "buzzy fizz" that you don't like.

The Jet Citys do seem to be in that range that's perfect for your budget, but I've never played one and have limited knowledge about them.

The best suggestion I've seen so far is Carvin.

I should have clarified; I'm totally fine with getting my metal tones from a boost, or even a dist pedal if needed. I only play that stuff for fun, I never record or gig metal, so having an amp that does everything up to early thrash/shred is totally fine, I'll get metal however I can get it; I only play it for the lols.

You mentioned you had some suggestions if that were the case, care to share 'em?
Quote by lumberjack
Cleans - Warm enough to fake jazz from time to time; thick, rich, "blooming" if you will. Really not at all into that hi-fi sound, I prefer single coils with my clean tones, unless it's jazz, which I use the neck humbucker for: I split all my humbuckers for cleans except for the jazz situation, in which I'll roll down the tone a good ways and the volume a smidge.

Bluesy stuff: SRV/Clapton/John Mayer. Juicy, warm, vocal.

Lead stuff - Malmsteen, Petrucci, Guthrie Govan, Tony McAlpine etc.

Heavier stuff - Metal-core ( hate if you have to ). Unearth, Soilwork, KSE

EDIT - The more I look into that v3m the more compelling it seems; Carvin only sells direct from their factories/stores, correct? As in there's no-where in the East-Coast tri-state area I could go to try them out?

Yeah, the Carvin V3 is probably a good bet. I've never played one. I'm with trashedlostfdupderek tho - the Jet Cities get too much hype imo. I wouldn't buy one. DC-5 is probably a great idea too. I think you also owe it to yourself to go play an Egnater Renegade. I realize new they are a bit out of your budget at $999 new for just the head - but I've seen used ones on craigslist in the $600-$800 range. I think you would be very pleased with the channel switching and power tube compliments this amp has. Bruce Egnater really pulled a winner out of the hat with this amp imo. You can channel assign watts and different tubes and switch everything with a footswitch. For example: Ch1 6L6s 65 watt/Ch2 EL34s 18 watt.

It is not a metalcore amp - but you also added that that part was more for fun - in which case an OD pedal would work. Plus the amp takes KT88s with no bias adjustment

oh Maryland? Beautiful state. I drove out there for the first time this past summer. Is there anything on your craigslist? Do you need help there?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, the Carvin V3 is probably a good bet. I've never played one. I'm with trashedlostfdupderek tho - the Jet Cities get too much hype imo. I wouldn't buy one. DC-5 is probably a great idea too. I think you also owe it to yourself to go play an Egnater Renegade. I realize new they are a bit out of your budget at $999 new for just the head - but I've seen used ones on craigslist in the $600-$800 range. I think you would be very pleased with the channel switching and power tube compliments this amp has. Bruce Egnater really pulled a winner out of the hat with this amp imo. You can channel assign watts and different tubes and switch everything with a footswitch. For example: Ch1 6L6s 65 watt/Ch2 EL34s 18 watt.

It is not a metalcore amp - but you also added that that part was more for fun - in which case an OD pedal would work. Plus the amp takes KT88s with no bias adjustment

oh Maryland? Beautiful state. I drove out there for the first time this past summer. Is there anything on your craigslist? Do you need help there?

Certainly is! I have yet to try an Egnater that suited my taste for higher gain sounds; the clean tones sound awesome, and so do the mid-break-up and classic rock sounds, but the gain for heavier leads/shred is a little too sweet-sounding for what I do. Sounds great, just not my thing. Granted I haven't tried the Renegade, so I'll give it a shot, just tried the Rebel and Tweaker stuff so far. Those Renegade heads sell for as cheap as $415-$500 on eBay though, so that's definitely something I'll check out.

The more I think about it, it couldn't hurt to buy the Mesa first and see how I like it. My only real beef with it is that I really don't need anywhere near 50w, and the Carvin's ability to dial down to 7w is very compelling. Same deal with the Engl Gigmasters, or the Hayden Mofo's.

The thing is that if I go for the Mesa, I can turn around and sell it the next weekend for the same price (approximately) that I bought it, unlike buying new gear, so I figure I'll try it out and go from there if I'm not satisfied with the Mesa. Really not pumped to have an amp I'll never get to turn up though :/
^A most practical post indeed! Do you fellas think the .50 cal is close enough in the Mesa Caliber blood line for me to go and try it out and assume it will sound extremely similar to the DC-5?
The .50 cal will be more mid heavy and more like a Mk IV
The cleans will also be better then the DC5, VERY fender like with a good reverb, but it has less gain (but has more then enough anyway, even without boost)
Most 50 watt Mesas will also sound good at lower volume.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
My friend has the 50watt Jet City, he's actually playing at Sinix in Essex, MD tonight, if you wanna check it out, tell him Alex told you about him. He plays mostly 80's shreddy rock and bluesy rock. but tonight he's playing in a metal band called Kysmet. He can really make the amp scream, so you can get a good preview of the amp.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Quote by RMB
The cleans will also be better then the DC5, VERY fender like with a good reverb, but it has less gain (but has more then enough anyway, even without boost)

But generally speaking, if I dig the .50 cal, is it safe to say I'll like the DC-5? I mean with that graphic EQ I figure if I like the .50 cal, the "power o' the EQ" would give me the flexibility to also dig the DC-5. Reason I'm interested in the DC over the Cal is purely feature-based.

In general I dig older Mesa's, used to own a Studio .22 + which I was a fan of, but I've never played the bigger calibers or DC's, so I'm just checkin' with you folks who've had a chance to play them both.
Quote by kyle62
Oh lord, the DC-5 is ideal for the stuff you're into.

I owned one for a while and it worked great for hard/classic rock and funk, but my Petrucci-style shredder mate absolutely loved using it at jam nights. Nice cleans, great blues/rock tone, and tons of gain+ graphic EQ for heavy styles. Tons of volume too, and you're getting legendary Boogie build quality (I dropped mine down a short flight of steps without even breaking a tube).

+1 to this. Out of the amps listed, the DC-5 is the best for what you want, no contest.

Quote by RMB

I have owned both a .50 Cal + and a DC-5 at the same time, and IMO, the .50 Cal was a better amp for what I wanted, but I'd already invested the money in the DC-5, to replace it (I bought a combo for easier portability, since I didn't have a small cab at the time, and the .50 Cal was a head) so the .50 Cal had to go.

I don't agree with your assessment of the cleans, though. IMO, the one area where the DC-5 clearly excelled over the .50 Cal was in the clean department, they were significantly better

However, the gain channel on the DC-5 had more high mids, whereas the .50 Cal had more low mids. The DC-5, I'd say would be better for leads, whereas the .50 Cal, better for rhythms. The .50 Cal had a "bigger" tone on the gain channel IMO, and was a bit more saturated in the tone, but both were quite usable for heavier music. If versatility is more of a concern, the DC-5 is the better choice.

For me, the .50 Cal was the better amp, but I didn't need a ton of versatility. The DC-5 was weaker in the rhythm tones, which is what I usually play, but generally speaking, if you like the .50 Cal, the DC-5 is fairly similar and you should enjoy it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1 to this. Out of the amps listed, the DC-5 is the best for what you want, no contest.

I have owned both a .50 Cal + and a DC-5 at the same time, and IMO, the .50 Cal was a better amp for what I wanted, but I'd already invested the money in the DC-5, to replace it (I bought a combo for easier portability, since I didn't have a small cab at the time, and the .50 Cal was a head) so the .50 Cal had to go.

I don't agree with your assessment of the cleans, though. IMO, the one area where the DC-5 clearly excelled over the .50 Cal was in the clean department, they were significantly better

However, the gain channel on the DC-5 had more high mids, whereas the .50 Cal had more low mids. The DC-5, I'd say would be better for leads, whereas the .50 Cal, better for rhythms. The .50 Cal had a "bigger" tone on the gain channel IMO, and was a bit more saturated in the tone, but both were quite usable for heavier music. If versatility is more of a concern, the DC-5 is the better choice.

For me, the .50 Cal was the better amp, but I didn't need a ton of versatility. The DC-5 was weaker in the rhythm tones, which is what I usually play, but generally speaking, if you like the .50 Cal, the DC-5 is fairly similar and you should enjoy it.

Aaaaah at last MatrixClaw arrives to shower down his wisdom upon my amp-ignorant mind! I've literally been bumping this thread to keep it up where I thought you would see it and comment

Thanks a million for the input. I'll definitely stick with the DC-5 then, if I like the .50 Cal when I try it out that is, 'cause versatility is important to me and I play leads waaaay more often than rhythm.
Quote by lumberjack
Aaaaah at last MatrixClaw arrives to shower down his wisdom upon my amp-ignorant mind! I've literally been bumping this thread to keep it up where I thought you would see it and comment

Thanks a million for the input. I'll definitely stick with the DC-5 then, if I like the .50 Cal when I try it out that is, 'cause versatility is important to me and I play leads waaaay more often than rhythm.

I had seen the post yesterday, but forgot to reply!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I had seen the post yesterday, but forgot to reply!

No worries, I'm just glad I eventually got your opinion on my dilemma . I'll be good and post a NAD if I can get a decent something-or-other to record with when the day comes.

Peace out folks, and thanks for all the input!
Hey folks, looks like I'm sorta back to square one on this. I tried the DC-5 locally, and like the Blackstar it was good, but I wasn't blown away.

I'm beggining to think the options in this price range just aren't going to dish out the kind of tones, and variety of them, that I'm looking for. I'm thinking about saving up more money and going a lil' bigger, somewhere in the $1kish territory for a head and 2x12 or 4x12 new or used; unfortunately I have no idea what's availible around that range, as I've basically never been able to afford rent/food/gas and also save money for gear until now.

So, same specs, etc. but new budget: what's out there new/used for about $1k? I have no idea about what Marshalls might fit, what Engl's to try, if I can even get a Bogner that cheap, etc. What's out there?
I think you need to give the Jet City a chance, it's a quality well built amp without a question. Soldano was personally involved with the prototyping and even flew to China to the factory quite a few times to make sure everything was being built to his taste and idea, and even sourcing specific components to make sure they're gonna function how he wants them to. The PCB is pretty thick (thicker than pretty much any other production amp) and would be really easy to replace components if the need ever came up. Even the transformers are beefier than a typical 50/100W amp. It's got a lot of hype online, but there's actually something there and it's not just hype. Once you play it you'll seriously wonder why it's priced the way it is .

Check out FastRedPony's videos on Youtube of him demonstrating the amp, it's an accurate reflection of what it can do within quality restrictions of YT. I bought mine blind (used for $415 with upgraded tubes) and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I'll like it even more once I get another speaker and be able to run it in a closed cab.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Budda Superdrive 18 might be worth a look.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
@ Flux'd - The only reason I can't come to a conclusion about the Jet City amps is that I can't play them first. People love Mesa Dual Recs, 5150, 6505, XXX, Krank, etc. and they all sound good online, but when I played them in real life I'm not a big fan. Fun amps if I could get them for free, but I wouldn't buy them; so I'll never buy a popular amp just because lots of people like it without playing it first.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Are you closer to Wash DC or Baltimore or what?

I love hunting on Clist.

How long till you have the money?

Does the $1K include the cab?

Can you go play a Renegade somewhere?

$1k is approximate, in the sense that it doesn't have to include the cab necessarily, and I'm fine with spending more or less; I'm just trying to find something I actually WANT to spend that much on. I'm a luthier, so building my own cab isn't out of the question, and I'm not worried about picking up an Avatar 2x12 off c-list to play until I find something great and/or build one.

I'm much closer to DC, but I would happily drive to B-more, or anywhere else within an hour and a half drive for a good deal. Pay day is this Friday, should have about $1200 at that time total, but I'm not dying to get an amp asap, I'd rather take my time and find something I'll still love years from now.

EDIT - Yeah I should be able to try the Renegade somewhere around here. I'm going to take my day off ( Friday ) and hit the local guitar center along with some local shops and just try a ton of stuff I never bothered to before because it was out of my price-range - Mesas, Marshalls, Engls, Bogners, H&K's, whatever I can get my hands on in that price range.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 6, 2011,
Lemme think of a list:

Budda Superdrive 18
EVH 5150 III 50 watt
Orange Thunder 30
Mesa TransAtlantic, Mark III, Mark IV
Baron K88, M2, K2, etc
Marshall 6100, JCM 900 SL-X, JCM 800, Vintage Modern
Rivera K-Tre
Soldano Avenger, Hot Rod
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade, Coreblade, Triamp (if you can find one)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Flux'D
I think you need to give the Jet City a chance, it's a quality well built amp without a question. Soldano was personally involved with the prototyping and even flew to China to the factory quite a few times to make sure everything was being built to his taste and idea, and even sourcing specific components to make sure they're gonna function how he wants them to. The PCB is pretty thick (thicker than pretty much any other production amp) and would be really easy to replace components if the need ever came up. Even the transformers are beefier than a typical 50/100W amp. It's got a lot of hype online, but there's actually something there and it's not just hype. Once you play it you'll seriously wonder why it's priced the way it is .

Check out FastRedPony's videos on Youtube of him demonstrating the amp, it's an accurate reflection of what it can do within quality restrictions of YT. I bought mine blind (used for $415 with upgraded tubes) and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I'll like it even more once I get another speaker and be able to run it in a closed cab.

i already stated i owned a 2112RC and a 50h, both did not sound good. both of them were played through several guitar and speaker combinations and they just sucked. that. i honestly didn't even want the 50h after the 2112RC, but it was thrown in in a trade (i came out on top by far), and it just simply did not sound good. IMO the 2112RC was better than the 50.

i know why it is priced that way because you probaby couldn't get people to pay more than it is selling for. actually he dropped prices on several of his models at one point. they got wayyyyyyy over hyped.

if the OP is not liking many of the typical high gain amps (mesas, peavys/kranks,etc.), i doubt he is going to want a JCA.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've heard good things about Red Bear and this is a great price
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2739949840.html

This 4 channel beast may be right up your alley.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2739648063.html

Blackstar Series One combo. I know very little about these Series One.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/2709018007.html

Laney GH50L gets a lot of love
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2733818221.html

Mesa Triple Rec go crazy
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2733809630.html

Mesa Electra Dyne
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2737054081.html

Krank Krankenstien head
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/2735430813.html

Orange Dual Terror
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/2735004149.html

Mesa Boogie Lonestar
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2730920675.html

any of those do anything for ya?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've heard good things about Red Bear and this is a great price
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2739949840.html

This 4 channel beast may be right up your alley.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2739648063.html

Blackstar Series One combo. I know very little about these Series One.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/msg/2709018007.html

Laney GH50L gets a lot of love
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2733818221.html

Mesa Triple Rec go crazy
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2733809630.html

Mesa Electra Dyne
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2737054081.html

Krank Krankenstien head
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/2735430813.html

Orange Dual Terror
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/2735004149.html

Mesa Boogie Lonestar
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2730920675.html

any of those do anything for ya?

Definitely going to go check out that Egnater! Whoo, what a deal. I am in no way whatsoever excited about the prospect of a 100lb 2x12 combo, but if it deals out the tones I'm looking for it will be worth the lumbar spinal disk bulge 10 years down the road I absolutely love Egnater cleans, but have never liked the gain for heavy modern stuff; channel 4 sounds like a totally different animal on this bad boy.

The Red Bear is appealing too, although I'm not really looking for a monster 120 watter.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Check out the Vengeance too. Did you see my 1 minute video demo thingy?

I'm at work, I'll have to check it out later this eve.
That RedBear is a monster amp, in a nutshell it's a Russian JCM800 with the clean channel from a Bassman. They were built with milspec components throughout and were imported in the early 90's by Gibson (who dropped them for unknown reasons shortly after). Their combos used a weird Soviet tube for the preamp and they're hard to find, but you can get like 20 of them on eBay for $30 shipped when they pop up. I'm not sure if the heads used this tube or not. You can also get them for a better price than that, on the occasion they pop up that is.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
That RedBear is a monster amp, in a nutshell it's a Russian JCM800 with the clean channel from a Bassman. They were built with milspec components throughout and were imported in the early 90's by Gibson (who dropped them for unknown reasons shortly after). Their combos used a weird Soviet tube for the preamp and they're hard to find, but you can get like 20 of them on eBay for $30 shipped when they pop up. I'm not sure if the heads used this tube or not. You can also get them for a better price than that, on the occasion they pop up that is.

I'll have to check that out if it sounds like a Marshall; read on for why!

So I went to the local branch of the Evil Empire (GuitarCenter) and tried out a ton of amps: Egnater Vengeance and Renegade, Orange Thunder 30 and Dark Terror, Budda Superdrive 18, EVH 5150iii, Engl Fireball, Marshall Vintage Modern and JCM 2000, and a few others. Bottom line: loved the Fireball, 5150iii, and JCM 2000 ( also liked the Renegade and Vintage Modern, but not as much, the others weren't impressive for my needs/taste ) and even though the Engl and EVH did rhythm much better than the JCM, and the Engl had a great clean channel, the JCM leads sounded best over-all to my ears, and I play leads waaay more often than anything else. Engl had a more agressive lead sound that was awesome, and better cleans, but all in all the character of the JCM was just juicy, warm, rich, and right up my alley.

Trouble is the JCM 2000 is outside my budget, and I haven't the slightest clue about Marshall amps in general: never owned one, never tried them out since they were always prohibitively expensive and I didn't even want to waste time teasing myself. So, what Marshall amps are out there that would approximate the sounds I liked so much about the JCM 2000 that I could get for under a grand used? What's the deal with the JCM 900 and it's diode based clipping, and what about the DSL/TSL series amps? The JCM 2000 was kinda flubby in the bass (Vintage/Modern was way worse), which I didn't like much, but I imagine it could be tightened with an OD. Even if tightening with an OD didn't work toooo well, I'm not so bothered about getting d-tuned brootz rhythm tones that I wouldn't spring for a well made dist pedal to get 'em.

So, Marshall advice? What heads to go try and/or watch out for on eBay/C-list? The JCM 2000 was all that GC had.
If we can get Cathbard in here, he can tell you all about the 900 and its clipping issues.

The JCM 900 SL-X ditches most of its diodes for an extra preamp tube though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Page 1 of 2