Hi guys

I've just decided to pick up the guitar again and give learning it a real go, I haven't played in well over 4 years and only have around a years experience. I've tried re-learning a few times and always flopped due to lack of drive, Im determined this time will be the time I succeed and as such I'm looking for some tips and techniques to get me back on track.

The problem I always find is that alot of the songs I want to learn are far too difficult, and the ones I should be learning are far too boring, but I realise that you've got to cover the basics before you can move on to the more exciting things, if anyone could give me some tips on what I should be learning, what I should be practising and what I should be doing daily to get back into it, it'd be helpful if you guys consider the fact I've failed a few times at sticking this out because of boredom (Don't get me wrong, I don't find playing the guitar, far from it, I just have issues keeping up with the basics without getting bored) so if anyone could include some fun daily tips that would be great.

I realise this is somewhat of a vague request, no doubt placed in the wrong forum (If so, I'm sure a mod will move it) and I realise that I seem to lack motivation but if someone would be so kind as to reply and give me a plan I'd be ecstatic.

I am into all types of music, primarily ranging from acoustic to rock and metal (Newton Faulkner, Metallica, Lamb of god, machine head, chillis, nirvana, guns n roses etc). Thought I'd include this so you get an idea of the songs I'm looking to eventually learn.

I think my primary weakness is chords and I know that needs to be addressed (Both naming and playing), I am better at riffing and playing some of the slower licks you come across but my goal is to become a well rounded guitar player eventually.

Thanks in advance.
If you do too boring stuff, you could get less motivated and take a break for another 4 years.
Try to find something that's a bit challenging but still not out of reach of your playing. But if you practice same thing over and over again for weeks, then you should just move on.
Still, you don't have to learn songs to get better, since nusic theory can be a real shortcut for your improvising and overall playing. Same thing for ear training.
Anyways, a tip would be to try to learn a song, completely. The feeling of being able to nail a song flawlessly should keep you motivated, and before you know it, you actually might be able to move on to harder songs.
That's all I got, so I hope it helps... a bit at least.
Quote by JB95
If you do too boring stuff, you could get less motivated and take a break for another 4 years.
Try to find something that's a bit challenging but still not out of reach of your playing. But if you practice same thing over and over again for weeks, then you should just move on.
Still, you don't have to learn songs to get better, since nusic theory can be a real shortcut for your improvising and overall playing. Same thing for ear training.
Anyways, a tip would be to try to learn a song, completely. The feeling of being able to nail a song flawlessly should keep you motivated, and before you know it, you actually might be able to move on to harder songs.
That's all I got, so I hope it helps... a bit at least.

this. and once you get to the level of improvising well it becomes extremely fun.