Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Marshall (TSL-122) with something smaller/more manageable. For my purposes, I don't exactly need an amp above 50W.

So, I want to purchase at some point a smaller tube amp with these criteria:
--David Gilmour style sounds (see pedals below)
--Jazzy Cleans
--Bluesy, classic Strat sounds
--Rich tube overdrive sound
--Nice lead sounds
--Preferably 2 channels
--Anywhere from 1x10" to 2x12", combo preferred, head OK (speaker cabinets?)
--10W-50W range (30 is likely ideal)
--Takes pedals very well (think Big Muff fuzz, delay, etc.)
--Anything else that would help??

Now, used is totally okay, and I'm in the Seattle area. This future mystery amp will be used with my Roadhouse Strat (Texas Specials), pedals mentioned above, and someday soon a guitar using Lace Holy Grails.

What somewhat affordable amps would you guys suggest to get me the kind of sound I'm looking for? I've thought about Laney, Traynor, Orange, Egnater, etc. Essentially, any amp that would be somewhat easy to find in the US is ideal.

Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks guys!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Orange Tiny Terror/ combo, but there's no effect loop. Dark Terror has an effect loop, but it's voiced for metal. If I were you I'd go for a Dual Terror and then save up a little bit for a cab.
Fender hot rod deluxe or fender blues deluxe maybe?
i'v heard that they take pedals very well. I seem to remember that David Gilmour used fender blackfaces and hiwatts.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50
Jet City JCA combos (the 112 is based on the Soldano SLO, the 212 is based on the Soldano Lucky 13)
Mesa Boogie DC series, F series
Vox AC30, AC50, etc.
Traynor amps
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
This is slightly unrelated, but how does the guy in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7OqJqVkwY) get that clean sound in the first 20 or so seconds of the video? I really like the sound in general with the clean and the rest of the video.

Are the ones listed above multi-channel amps? For versatility I would definitely like an extra channel.

I'll check out some of these amps soon if I can. I want to try before I buy if at all possible!

Thanks for the suggestions though!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Egnater Rebel 20 or 30 or any of the tweakers. i don't remember what they cost though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The difference between your 100W 2x12 combo, and a 50/30W 2x12 combo (like an AC30) is really not that significant - if the TSL is too much for you, most other 2x12 combos will be. A 2x12+head or 1x12 combo would be far more manageable.

I think you might want to check out some used Boogies - the Heartbreaker and Blue Angel in particular would work for you, though they're not that common. Maybe the F-30 or Rect-O-Verb too. Both would be around $600-$900 used.

The Bogner Alchemist 112 might not be a bad bet, I think you'd really dig the Kustom Defender 50W 112 too (still one of the most underrated amps out there, especially for under $500).
What are general opinions of 10" speakers, say a 1x10 or 2x10?

Also, thanks for the heads up kyle62! Looks like 1x12 is as big as I want to go right now.

I really want to try some of these amps out, but the nearest thing is Guitar Center. I hope I'll get lucky and find some working floor models (lol).

I do still think I'd rather stay in the 30w range, but I'll check out some like the Egnaters, Vox, Fender, etc.

Are all of these amps great with pedals? About half of my distortion sound will come from my BYOC Large Beaver, but I want an amp that can pull off a sweet overdrive too, in addition to a nice clean.

Also, how can I get the clean sound in the video I posted above on any one of these amps suggested? Is that essentially just the amp with reverb?

Thanks!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
What do you guys think about the Egnater Rebel 30? It really seems pretty versatile. How is the clean and overdrive on that?

How would you guys rate the head vs the combo in the Rebel?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Okay, so I made it to Guitar Center today, and I happened to use 3 working amps! First impressions:
--Orange Tiny Terror (No Dual Terror in store): adequate clean tone, great overdrive sound through noiseless strat pickups. I think it would be more overdrive than I need with my Texas Specials.
--Vox AC15: Great clean sound, but not as easy to achieve tube overdrive as the Orange and the Egnater.
--Egnater Rebel 30: Extremely versatile. Smooth clean sound, nice overdrive that was also easy to tweak. Lots of controls that are pretty easy to use. I'll admit I spent a lot more time playing with the Egnater because I sat down with it first :P: But I really did like it, and it seems versatile and smooth enough for my purposes. I think I'm relatively set on the Egnater for now. And the head seems very enticing.

So, if I am going to get the head, I'm still not sure what type of cabinets/speakers I should go for. I think either a single 12" or a dual 10" cabinet is ideal. What are some good cabinet brands, speakers, etc.? I looked up Avatar, which seems like a good deal, and I could get a 2x10 loaded with a Celestion Greenback and an Alnico Gold.
--2x10 OR 1x12?
--Brands?
--Speakers?
--I would like to stay under $400, preferably less considering the Egnater head is $700.

Thanks guys!
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
Okay, so I made it to Guitar Center today, and I happened to use 3 working amps! First impressions:
--Orange Tiny Terror (No Dual Terror in store): adequate clean tone, great overdrive sound through noiseless strat pickups. I think it would be more overdrive than I need with my Texas Specials.
--Vox AC15: Great clean sound, but not as easy to achieve tube overdrive as the Orange and the Egnater.
--Egnater Rebel 30: Extremely versatile. Smooth clean sound, nice overdrive that was also easy to tweak. Lots of controls that are pretty easy to use. I'll admit I spent a lot more time playing with the Egnater because I sat down with it first :P: But I really did like it, and it seems versatile and smooth enough for my purposes. I think I'm relatively set on the Egnater for now. And the head seems very enticing.

So, if I am going to get the head, I'm still not sure what type of cabinets/speakers I should go for. I think either a single 12" or a dual 10" cabinet is ideal. What are some good cabinet brands, speakers, etc.? I looked up Avatar, which seems like a good deal, and I could get a 2x10 loaded with a Celestion Greenback and an Alnico Gold.
--2x10 OR 1x12?
--Brands?
--Speakers?
--I would like to stay under $400, preferably less considering the Egnater head is $700.

Thanks guys!

i would think a Greenback/Vintage 30 combo would sound pretty good. i had a renegade (essentially the rebel's big brother), it sounded pretty good with V30's although you had to dial out some mids, T75's were pretty nice, K100's went nicely and added to the bottom end. i only had it on greenbacks once, and i really liked it. so i would imagine that a V30/GB would be a good combination. i have played the rebels quite a bit demoing other gear on them at GC different times, because i am somewhat familiar with them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I personally find 10" speakers a bit harsh for guitar. I'd get a 2x12 cab probably with greenbacks or a Greenback/V30 combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The egnaters are hard to beat for the price.
Another amp that I've heard A LOTof good about for gilmour stuff is the laney cub. Most of the gilmourish demos I've seen are played using one so check that out
RIP Gooze

cats
Egnater makes a great amp, and their prices are pretty good. They make the rebel 30 in a 112 and a 212 combo if that's what you're after.

If you want a seperate head + cab, I've heard great things about avatar. I'm planning on getting an avatar 212 at some point, but haven't got one yet. They have a pretty good breakdown on their website listing all the speakers they carry, and some common combinations. Click on the speakers link from the main page. A pretty common combo is a V30 paired with a G12H30. Or if you have a lot of money, you can go with some alnico blue / gold. V30 and a greenback would probably sound pretty awesome too.

Some others on here have a lot more expertise on speakers than I, though. Just saw someone recently post a pic of their "loose speaker collection" and it was more speakers than I have loaded in all of my amps / cabs combined. For some reason I'm thinking it was Gumbilicious, but I may be wrong. MatrixClaw can probably give some advice on speakers as well, he's played about 10 billion different amps and cabs.

EDIT: here's a link to the ultimate speaker thread....

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=823671&highlight=loose+speaker+collection

It's kinda funny... you search "ultimate speaker thread" and its not there. You search "loose speaker collection", and it's like the second thread. This is why people don't use the search bar. It's terrible.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 5, 2011,
yeah, but who reads the stickies??
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Check out the CARVIN V3m. It is 50w/22w/7watt switchable, 3 channels I Love mine to the grave.
Effects loop and just about anything else you could want!

Get the foot switch, it costs extra but so worth it.
I use mine for ZZtop covers we do Love the Cleans Kicks butt.

Under $700
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Last edited by TheFUBAR at Dec 5, 2011,
Ah, thanks for the tip on the Speaker Thread. I could have sworn it existed and I just couldn't find it the other day! I didn't see a section in the thread about 10" vs 12" speakers though. Would you guys be willing to give a couple general tidbits? I'm happy to ask that thread too if need be!

Thanks for the Carvin suggestion, but it might be more than I'm looking for. I only really need clean to classic rock sounds, nothing too intense. That Carvin seems geared a little more towards that and well beyond.

I would still rather go for the Egnater head with an extension cabinet. I'm still deciding where to get the cab from, speakers, or even the speaker size. Anything cheaper than Avatar? They already seem to have great deals but I'm just curious. Anybody know if Egnater ever released a 2x10" cabinet that looks like the Rebel?
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5