Poll: Are college students kids or adults?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are college students kids or adults?
Kids
77 40%
Adults
93 48%
I never went to college
23 12%
Voters: 193.
Page 1 of 3
I go to college, and I swear most people act/look like they are in middle school, even though most of them are over 18. Would you consider them to be kids, or would that just be asking for them to act that way?

Edit: And if someone doesn't go to college, and instead goes immediately into the workforce, is he then considered a kid or adult?
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Dec 2, 2011,
dat poll.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
It's not like "kid" and "adult" are the only two classifications you can give someone based on behavior.

They have some aspects of "adults" and some aspects of "kids". It's ambiguous, though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
it depends. if they are responsible no-nonsense students focused on their studies, then adults, but if they are just there to party now and study later, they are kids.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
No they're kids. They really don't have any responsibilities of an adult.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

kids enter college and leave adults.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Most people in college are just as immature as high schoolers.

Anyone that goes to Uni and makes it past freshers week is grown up and responsible.
depends on the college

I would assume that the people at Harvard or Oxford are more mature than your average state college.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
depends on the college

I would assume that the people at Harvard or Oxford are more mature than your average state college.

Wasn't Facebook created at Harvard?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
Wasn't Facebook created at Harvard?

Boom! Head shot.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
They're young adults. The middle ground between child and adult.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
"Young Adults" I guess. Socially they are kids, but in society they are adults.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
I think it depends on the person, not their gross generalization as 'college students.'
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Are you kidding me? Im in college right now and I havent run into one damn person that I would even half consider taking seriously as an "adult". The immaturity and irresponsibility is mind blowing.

That being said, Id say its pretty normal at this age. So to clarify, im not bashing (hell im no exception). You learn from your experiences/mistakes and become an adult through them..and most of those experiences come during college years !
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
The thing is, though, they act like spoiled brats because they are expected to act that way. I think it's horrible how some of these people are just handed college educations, something most people in the world will never be able to have. All just for them to get drunk and act like a bunch of Lindsay Lohans. It's bullshit.
Quote by Gmp
They are kidults
A hybrid between adults and kids. Sort of like if they had a baby.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
I think we're young adults, I feel in my relationship with family and other people, I feel like I'm coming from a position of more equality, as an adult and not a child.
If you place a bunch of average adults together, you would see them act like kids as well. I think it depends on the environment you put people in.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
They're adults, move on.

You can put almost any large amount of people of the same age in an area and after a while they'll all eventually start to act immature and like kids. I'm not saying all 19+ year olds are super mature, they are however, still adults, they may just act immature and not act their age.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by naedauuf

Bullshit, I had most of the responsibilities of an adult when I was 16. Other than having to look after a child. As did all my friends at college (one even had a kid).

We were all 18. You have no idea what you're talking about.
My gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Prophecy EX
Homemade B.C Rich Mockingbird Copy
Peavey 6505+112
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Ibanez Digital Delay
Cry Baby Wah Wah Pedal
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Are you kidding me? Im in college right now and I havent run into one damn person that I would even half consider taking seriously as an "adult". The immaturity and irresponsibility is mind blowing.

That being said, Id say its pretty normal at this age. So to clarify, im not bashing (hell im no exception). You learn from your experiences/mistakes and become an adult through them..and most of those experiences come during college years !

pretty much this.
Quote by dustjunk
Bullshit, I had most of the responsibilities of an adult when I was 16. Other than having to look after a child. As did all my friends at college (one even had a kid).

We were all 18. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You are in a definite minority. I cannot think of many people that I know at my college who have the responsibilities of the average adult.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by naedauuf

Work 30 hours a week.
Go to school for 15 credit hours for Health Sciences.
Pay car insurance.
Pay for 1/2 of school.
Get A's and B's.
Find time to work out/eat healthy.
Is apparently a kid.

Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
we're students. Most of us live on our own and pay our own way (or at least a portion of it) so in that respect we're adults, but we also do lots of retarded shit and piss about a fair bit so in that respect we're kids. It's a sort of in-between state.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Adults can be immature too, they just spend more money on things they don't really want to spend it on.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by CG Man16
Work 30 hours a week.
Go to school for 15 credit hours for Health Sciences.
Pay car insurance.
Pay for 1/2 of school.
Get A's and B's.
Find time to work out/eat healthy.
Is apparently a kid.

just like the other guy, you are in a minority (as am I, i work 20 hours, but dont have to worry about car insurance). most of the people at my school dont have a job mainly because they are supported by financial aid or have rich parents.
There's an incredible amount of generalization in this thread. Some college students are kids, some are adults. Not all college students are 18 - there's a whole group of students who are close to graduation or working on graduate degrees. Many college students teach their own classes. You might get one 24 year old TA who teaches freshmen core classes and wears a suit to work, and you might get another 24 year old graduate student working on a master's degree who still seems a bit awkward and "studentesque" because he's spent the last 6 years of his life around other college students. I'm taking a russian language class right now with roughly 20 people in it. 18 of them are about 21, and they all seem like typical college students. One guy is 27 with a 2 year old kid - definitely an adult. There's also another girl my age (21) who I thought was 3 or 4 years older than me until a few days ago because she acted so much older than everyone else. She's definitely an adult. The instructor of the course is a 26 year old student working on a slavic languages degree - he's the biggest nerd I've ever seen in real life, but he's an adult. No one who saw him on the street would think otherwise. Adulthood is a measurement of human behavior, not age or social status. Some people mature more quickly than others, and there is no better example of this than the students at your average college campus.
Quote by yellowfrizbee

the more you post, the more I like you.

My community college is ridiculous..i've run into 40 somethings who I wouldn't trust to find a corner in a square room...not that their immature, just lazy, which is ultimatly a sign of immaturity. I have maybe 4 friends at school that i would actually consider adults, because they have seen and delt with the crap that life can deal you....great people, but most of the college people I meet are immature children. I vote children.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
they are amazingly good-looking and talented
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by devourke
drunk

I can can assure you that this is the correct answer
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
As a college goer myself, I like to think of myself and my friends as adults. Sure we're immature time to time, but that happens when guys are together, I find.

Some people are just douchebags. That doesn't have to do with being or not being an adult, though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
if they can buy their own alcohol they are adults
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by MiserySignals11
The thing is, though, they act like spoiled brats because they are expected to act that way. I think it's horrible how some of these people are just handed college educations, something most people in the world will never be able to have. All just for them to get drunk and act like a bunch of Lindsay Lohans. It's bullshit.

Yeah man. They should remain solemn at all times. Hell, they should just not go to college and all the money put towards state schools be sent to third world countries. Equality and shit, hooray!

Nah but really, it's a bullshit system. But that's how it works. You need a piece of paper to get anywhere in the job market in modern countries. And it all comes down to luck, who you're born as. You shouldn't blame people for living the life they were given. If Americans put all the money of the ice cream industry into food for the hungry, world hunger could be ended. But it won't, because people won't do that. What are you gonna do. Things aren't fair, and it's all up to dumb luck who gets the advantages. Most things won't be equal for all humans, and a lot of the times it can't be changed, such as quality of life. But a degree is a lot more important in first world countries than poorer countries anyway.

Page 1 of 3