okay so, I obviously know there isn't a thread with this in it.

since I was growing up I had always figured i have webbed fingers (that being i was told that since i was young) but recently I found out with my syndrome (Saethre-Chotzen syndrome ) that syndactyly is a part of it my case isn't too bad but being a guitarist it's a real pain in the ass (so bad to where I do power chords with my index and ring finger), what I was wondering if there is any guitarists on here who have had surgery on their fretting hand arms arm/tendons etc. and how long their recovery time was and how they got back into guitar and how long it took to rebuild technique and get rid of rustiness even if it was someone you know, it would really help in my complete decision and knowledge ahead of time as to what I will be facing.
Quote by schecterrocks93
okay so, I obviously know there isn't a thread with this in it.

since I was growing up I had always figured i have webbed fingers (that being i was told that since i was young) but recently I found out with my syndrome (Saethre-Chotzen syndrome ) that syndactyly is a part of it my case isn't too bad but being a guitarist it's a real pain in the ass (so bad to where I do power chords with my index and ring finger), what I was wondering if there is any guitarists on here who have had surgery on their fretting hand arms arm/tendons etc. and how long their recovery time was and how they got back into guitar and how long it took to rebuild technique and get rid of rustiness even if it was someone you know, it would really help in my complete decision and knowledge ahead of time as to what I will be facing.

That's how it's normally done...
broke my wrist once...i didnt go to the hospital or nothing and it stopped me from playing guitar for a month.the doctor was amazed at my tolerance for pain when i went for a check up a couple months later
actually it didnt set rigth my freeting hand is never straight about 20 degrres off from being straight after it was "fixed"
...it took me abouta week to get to where i could play fine and about a month before i was playing to my actual level and seeing progress
it doesnt bug me anymore at all and people dont really notice unless i tell them

good luck with your desition though

edit ^ hes right
Last edited by supersac at Dec 2, 2011,
Wait....so you're a mutant?
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
SDMF#UG003-pantera-nat124
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Wait....so you're a mutant?

technically yeah man it has to do with a twist in the gene
I've had two finger tips sliced off (one pretty recently) and know people've had surgery to their picking arms.

It sucks, you'll go months without doing what you love, but when you're back you'll hear things differently than you once did and appreciate the ability on a much higher level. Worse comes to worst- Get the surgery and enjoy the fact that you did.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Does this count as an injury?

UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
^ second degree burns, don't be a wuss
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Quote by devourke
^Wtf happened to you bro?

Fire

and then Grafts.

Have pretty much given up on guitar now because of joint pain in the elbow and knuckles. But, boo-hoo hey :p
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Recovery times will always differ, only a hand surgeon who knows the procedure will be able to give you an accurate idea, unless you can find someone who has had the same operation, but even then it's individual. Probably physio will be involved, though.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
damn mr_zakk_wylde i thought you were just fucking around at first, postin some random picture.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Does this count as an injury?

why yes, yes I think that counts as an injury...
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Jesus H. Christ. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

And I really have a lot of respect for how your handling your injury. You must be a pretty strong person, which seems to be fairly rare these days in the world.

On topic: One of my good friends lost three fingers on his fretting hand and never missed a beat, and is actually better than he used to be at playing. Although it is kind of disturbing to watch.

For me, I've been practicing with a broken pinky that won't quite heal for about a year now. Just play through the pain. It will take your mind off of it, for a little while, at least.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Jack White broke his ring finger so he uses his pinky to fret power chords.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by devourke
Holy shit bro, that sucks. How'd it happen?

Working on my car at home underneath, had fuel running down my arm from trying to stop a leak from a hoseclamp. Slipped off the clamp and went through the power wire for the fuel pump. Caused a spark and subsequently a fireball which saw me having to roll out from under the car and run out of the shed, with my arm alight so that i could get some water to be put out. Then, still smouldering i ran back in the shed and put the fire under the car out.
UG BLS Chapter.
SDMF#UG001
SDMF#UG002-faqu
Just Googled Saethre-Chotzen syndrome...

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
I broke my arm pretty bad a few years ago and i was out of action for about 6 months because of the nature of the break. In short, it's very difficult to tell you how long your recovery period will be because it's a personal thing.
(Invalid img)

A glass door smashed, flung glass directly at my wrist, slashed my tendons in half, three times. This was my right hand, luckily. :-/
You said you'll never be younger than you are tonight.
Now I've never felt weaker in all of my life.
You said it's only a one off, only a line.
But, now it's a circle all of the time.
Last edited by Aliens-exist182 at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Mr_Zakk_Wylde
Working on my car at home underneath, had fuel running down my arm from trying to stop a leak from a hoseclamp. Slipped off the clamp and went through the power wire for the fuel pump. Caused a spark and subsequently a fireball which saw me having to roll out from under the car and run out of the shed, with my arm alight so that i could get some water to be put out. Then, still smouldering i ran back in the shed and put the fire under the car out.

That's certainly something to tell the grandchildren about.

So how long ago was this? How are you now? Recovering well I hope?
Quote by Pat_s1t
I do them by fretting each string individually (index, ring, pinky). Isn't that how everyone does it?

It's how I do it. Why'd you do it any other way?
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
1) Self-imposes a no-fap December
2) Checks .gif thread
3) To hell with no-fap December
4) Enters this thread
5) Will never fap again