Last night at the Guns N Roses concert i went to, i noticed they were using the same keyboard i have at home (axiom 61 m-audio). it got me thinking, since it is only a midi controller, how would they use it? Is there some type of module aside from a laptop that can render sounds from midi in real time? i would really like to make use of it out of my studio
btw i couldnt find a great sub-forum for this, so dont tell me
Quote by warbeast19
Last night at the Guns N Roses concert i went to, i noticed they were using the same keyboard i have at home (axiom 61 m-audio). it got me thinking, since it is only a midi controller, how would they use it?

there are lots of ways, many 'midi' keyboards have onboard patches anyway, they could have just been using it stand alone if it has onboard instruments.

Quote by warbeast19
Is there some type of module aside from a laptop that can render sounds from midi in real time?

oh hell yeah... they had midi for about 15 years before they had laptops with DAW's. midi was actually developed as a way to have a computer play music without having to sample a song (sound take TONS of memory and memory was expensive back in the day) so the idea was to just store the midi information in memory and have it play back through midi instruments.

the concept is similar when you send uncompiled source code in .txt files, it's way smaller than the compiled executable.

anyway, midi grew into a more robust protocol and branched out into clock syncing different components (sync sampler with delay with metronome in drummer's ear, oh my), triggering events (like the lights cut out and fireworks go off when this drum trigger is hit), even continuous controllers (pitch bend wheels, wah wah, all that stuff).

today midi is even in guitar amp control modules.

Quote by warbeast19
i would really like to make use of it out of my studio
btw i couldnt find a great sub-forum for this, so dont tell me

logic pro 9 has quite a bit of support for midi instrumentation, the even have a 'live' environment called Main Stage. i love it, i get off on setting up my midi keyboard as a mono moog-style synth, assign some controls to my knobs, run a sampler with some beats and go to town. the Main Stage environment is extremely customizable and sounds great.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 2, 2011,
It's what MIDI was designed to do. In my keyboards rig I have a Quadrasynth module in the rack that is MIDI'd up to an old D5. I use the Quadrasynth for my piano sounds and add strings and other pads over it from the D5. That way I can balance in the pads by using the volume on the D5 instead of having to reach over to the mixer in the rack or screw around with MIDI mixing.
MIDI was used to communicate between synths long before anybody was using computers for anything musical.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok.. well if i was to buy the most affordable option just to produce a decent piano sound, what product should i look into?
Last edited by warbeast19 at Dec 3, 2011,
The D5 is just an old Roland synth. You can use any keyboard with a MIDI out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Search Ebay for "synth module." There are heaps of different ones, too many to list.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I quite like my Alesis Quadrasynth S4 module.
The old Roland JV series can sometimes go for a decent price. Roland U-220 if you can find one for a decent price. They are getting pretty old now but are still one of my favourite live piano and strings modules. Even the old Roland Sound Canvasses are acceptable and about the cheapest.
Most Korg stuff is very good but usually quite pricey. You can sometimes get an M1R module for decent prices. A bit dated now but still more than adequate for live work. The M1 was the biggest selling synthesizer of all time.
When going cheap your best bet is something that is fundamentally a sample player.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification