I just bought an ENGL Savage today, but still need to buy a cab.

I was thinking though... I know that some combo amps have the capability of running an external head to the cab portion. Would that be a good option for me if I want even more versatility?

I'm torn between a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab or a "British" combo amp. V30s are a must, but I don't care much beyond that. I'm the only person who will ever hear the sounds from any of my equipment anyways.

*EDIT*

Quick comment though - I know that I could do a tiny bit of soldering to make a coupler and power-amp-input jack to make this work on any combo amp, but I would prefer to buy one that does this off-the-shelf.
Last edited by CV334 at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by the hirsh
one drawback of having a 212 combo is that they can get REALLY heavy.

Very true point, but I don't mind. None of my music equipment leaves this house though. As long as it doesn't weigh so much that it punctures the seats in my car, I'm ok with it
Any combo that's built well enough and has speakers good enough to work as well as a nice external cab for an ENGL is going to be quite expensive. I don't see the point in what you're asking about doing. You won't be able to play them at the same time anyway, you'd have to unplug one before plugging another in.

It makes far more sense to buy a nice stereo-capable cab, and then if you feel that you need more amp options, get a second head and run both amps in stereo on that one cab. Same result but you don't waste all that money up front if it turns out your ENGL covers everything you like.
Quote by Roc8995
Any combo that's built well enough and has speakers good enough to work as well as a nice external cab for an ENGL is going to be quite expensive.

True. I have been reading that lower end combo amps are rattly. The thing is, (and I kinda expect some people to absolutely tweak on me for this...) I won't play the Savage above 2/10.

Quote by Roc8995

I don't see the point in what you're asking about doing. You won't be able to play them at the same time anyway, you'd have to unplug one before plugging another in.

That's totally fine. I just like having lots of options.

Quote by Roc8995

It makes far more sense to buy a nice stereo-capable cab, and then if you feel that you need more amp options, get a second head and run both amps in stereo on that one cab. Same result but you don't waste all that money up front if it turns out your ENGL covers everything you like.

That would be ideal... I'd love to do that within the next year or so, but for a temporary basis I figured that buying a combo amp would serve dual purpose.

I'd buy used solid-state for a combo amp. I don't like the thought of moving anything with tubes in it, despite the fact that they are more durable than most people assume.

I mean, if it turns out that plugging the Savage into a combo amp would sound like utter crap, I won't do it. But if it works ok as a temporary solution then I'm not too worried.
Quote by CV334
True. I have been reading that lower end combo amps are rattly. The thing is, (and I kinda expect some people to absolutely tweak on me for this...) I won't play the Savage above 2/10.

Not just low end. I had a Dual Rec combo for a few years and it eventually got rattly. I took it to a tech who said it's pretty common with combos.
Last edited by griffin888 at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by CV334
I'd buy used solid-state for a combo amp. I don't like the thought of moving anything with tubes in it, despite the fact that they are more durable than most people assume.

I mean, if it turns out that plugging the Savage into a combo amp would sound like utter crap, I won't do it. But if it works ok as a temporary solution then I'm not too worried.

I can't think of a SS combo that's going to have a cab and speaker decent enough to be worthwhile in conjunction with the Savage. Most are cheap crap with a bad generic speaker.

If you have to have another amp, sure, it will work. It's a waste of money if you don't, though, since you wouldn't be getting a good amp or a good cab.
V30's in an open backed cab just seems dumb to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I appreciate the feedback everyone!

I think if I do go through with it, it'll be a very temporary situation based on what I'm hearing on here. I will get a Mesa cab for the Savage soon enough.