About a month ago I made a decision to sand down my epiphone les paul and refinish it.

The advice i received from these forums was invaluable, and I thank those of you who gave me pointers.

I had originally chosen a wine red stain to replace the original black finish, but after removing the factory finish decided the wood wasn't really something I wanted to show off. It had a nice maple top, and nice mahogany sides back and neck, but it was several pieces put together and the places the wood met looked a little off. My runner up choice was solid white. Aside from the paint, I also bought new pickups (seymour duncan blackouts) and bought gold pickup rings from allparts

Here's how it turned out

Before:

After removing the factory finish:

Finished Product:

Costs:.
Pickups - 200$
Pickup rings - 40$ delivered
Primer, Paint & Clearcoat - 200$ at a local auto body shop
Total: 440$

My end product might still only be an epiphone but i'd dare say it looks, sounds and plays as good as a guitar worth a LOT more. Although my advice to you...don't bother with refinishing something if you're not going to keep it forever. It took me about 12 hours of sanding just to get it ready to paint, and the end result might be worth it to me but it didn't really change the resale value any.

If any of you have an epiphone and are thinking about getting a gibson, I suggest you replace the pickups and swap out the plastic nut for a bone one instead. I honestly would put this epiphone up against any gibson, and if there was a difference to be seen or heard, it wouldn't be one that was worth an extra 1500$ unless you're recording or playing on stage.
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Dec 3, 2011,
Looks cool, but it kinda begs the question of why you didn't just buy a white one to begin with
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by 67_67
Looks cool, but it kinda begs the question of why you didn't just buy a white one to begin with

Gotta agree with this... seems like a big waste of money to repaint a guitar if you're not doing it in a finish that is special/not made.

That said, it does look well done.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
haha man i asked myself the same question at LEAST once an hour while i was sanding the damn thing.

It was a neat experience, but never again.
Quote by 67_67

hahaha I didn't even think about that. Anyways, looks nice, I'm somewhat partial to white guitars and am planning on doing my summer project guitar in either a white color or a red and white design of my own.

I guess if you were going to do all that work it would have been better to customize it and personalize it a bit, but whatever floats your boat.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by Offworld92
Gotta agree with this... seems like a big waste of money to repaint a guitar if you're not doing it in a finish that is special/not made.

That said, it does look well done.

Well it is a pearl white...not just white. you can't tell because the pictures weren't taken in very good lighting but it shines like a lexus (i used lexus paint) when it hits the light
For $440, you could have bought another Epi LP in Alpine White and also kept the Ebony Black.
Anyways, you did a very clean job. Have fun with your new look.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
The black was all scratched up, and had a couple dings in it.

It was more of a hobby than an investment. I knew full well it would end up being a waste of money. Plus I have 7 guitars and my wife is starting to get pissed when i bring home new ones. this gave me a NGD excitement without a divorce. Although i think this loophole has been officially closed after she saw the price tag.
Quote by 67_67

+2

IMO, your product looks alot nicer than what a white epi would look like stock. And it has good pups too. I guess it was worth it
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by mike_oxbig

It was more of a hobby than an investment. I knew full well it would end up being a waste of money. Plus I have 7 guitars and my wife is starting to get pissed when i bring home new ones. this gave me a NGD excitement without a divorce. Although i think this loophole has been officially closed after she saw the price tag.

In that case, you sir are full of win.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode

seriously though paint aside, replace any guitar that has a plastic nut with a bone nut, and replace the electronics on most guitars made in asia, and you have a quality guitar for a fraction of the price of an american made guitar.

I'll make a video tomorrow when I can turn my amp up...i swear this thing sounds as good as a gibson
Quote by mike_oxbig

so much fail in this sentence
Quote by mike_oxbig
and ps that's a paragraph

thank you for improving the evaluation of your failing.
I am glad to know how this turned out....i was curious as to what you were going to do....but....the head stock ruins it for me..i hate the way epiphone headstocks look....idk...just...bleh...

but that white...pearl lexus color.....jizz i love white guitars.....also..why penguin mad?...he is justt rying to make the misses happy...but he failed at that...but at least he was trying...
I haz gotten gud
yeah I'm not a fan of the epi headstocks either to be honest...but then again i'm not a fan of gibson headstocks either. prs ftw.

and boring troll is boring, btw.
And I wasn't trying to make the missus happy...i was trying to not make her mad. bit of a difference, lol. if you're not married you won't understand.
Quote by mike_oxbig
yeah I'm not a fan of the epi headstocks either to be honest...but then again i'm not a fan of gibson headstocks either. prs ftw.

and boring troll is boring, btw.

you....have good taste in head stocks...prs head stocks are all i find attractive anymore....

also idk if trolling....the penguin does have a point...i mean you did fail at you intended task of keeping the misses happy...then again you got a great guitar...for an ok price....i mean and you got to put your own work and love into it...and well you are still with the misses....so all is good....

then agian the troll....has a nice avatar...so it is all good...
I haz gotten gud
well then **** my shit..i started typing that when you only had one post....ehh...as long as she is not too pissed off...i am not married but i have been around enough married young men and men in general to know that...woman are bat shit crazy...and when you marry them it gets even worse...
I haz gotten gud
haha she's good about it. I mean, a guitar collection isn't the worst thing in the world. She just gets pissed that I only play 2 of my guitars and have 5 that are being used as posters on the wall.

I should start collecting full sized pianos - she'll beg me to go back to guitars.
Actually that's a great idea. then if she divorces me she'll be stuck with half of the pianos.
you should like edit your posts...or not double post....the mods get mad when you do it...but i am on dial up so....if i do it...it is ok...and i am tired....and...i dont want to edit sometimes....

ehh guitars are cool poster....the pianos could be used as furniture..you might be able to get away with it...
I haz gotten gud
Oh...i guess that makes sense. Force of habit, i get way too many afterthoughts.

In a perfect world a mans wife would be happy to see him when he came home, even after he spent 400$ on a 500$ guitar. hmph.

Quote by mike_oxbig
haha she's good about it. I mean, a guitar collection isn't the worst thing in the world. She just gets pissed that I only play 2 of my guitars and have 5 that are being used as posters on the wall.

I should start collecting full sized pianos - she'll beg me to go back to guitars.

And the penguin makes me lol because it looks like he/she/it is trying to troll, but at least he/she/it tried, right?

OT: YOUR FINISH IS AWESOME!
but I think you should replace all the gold hardware with silver
Quote by ApatheticMe
you....have good taste in head stocks...prs head stocks are all i find attractive anymore....

also idk if trolling....the penguin does have a point...i mean you did fail at you intended task of keeping the misses happy...then again you got a great guitar...for an ok price....i mean and you got to put your own work and love into it...and well you are still with the misses....so all is good....

then agian the troll....has a nice avatar...so it is all good...

Looks good! I agree on your comments about replacing the pups and to a bone nut. I had to do the same on a Historic VOS R0. Pretty much a requirement if you ask me.