So, in short, this happened:
While playing, the tip of my cable (ie; this bit:

)
Came loose and is now stuck inside the jack of the amp, which looks more or less like either of these:

So, the question is, what is the best way to fix it, should I:

• Try to fix it by poking things at it
  • Buy a new jack and try to solder it in the old one's place
  • Take it to a shop and pay to have someone fix it, and also, how much should this cost?

Thank you in advance.
Wonder if a magnet could pull it out...otherwise digging into the amp would be needed. What kind of amp is it? on a Fender Combo type amp it would be easy as long as you didnt touch any other components, obviously some amps require removing a chassis.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Dec 2, 2011,
Wow, what a shitty cable. I imagine you would need to replace the jack. I think that's what a shop would do, and most of the cost would be opening and closing your amp.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
It's a Roland Cube 30, and I opened it up, and although it was fairly easy to do, I quickly realised I was somewhat out of my depth and retreated.
I've seen one method where you apply crazy glue to an object, like a toothpick, and leave it to dry for awhile. After it dries, you gently pull on it and the tip is extracted. Others have suggested using gum or even long-nosed pliers.

Typically, I've only seen cheap cables do this. I've never seen an expensive Mogami or Monster experience this problem.
Is it loose in the Jack? If so,just tip the amp over and it'll fall out. Otherwise, hold down the detention with a toothpick and tilt the amp till it comes out.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
You might have to remove the main control panel from it's housing. I had to open up my cube and I could access the jacks pretty easily by doing that. Are you getting to it by opening up the speaker?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
You might have to remove the main control panel from it's housing. I had to open up my cube and I could access the jacks pretty easily by doing that. Are you getting to it by opening up the speaker?

Well I've been able to get the control panel out and I can get at the jack, except the jack itself is fairly well encased in plastic.
Quote by Telecaster7
Well I've been able to get the control panel out and I can get at the jack, except the jack itself is fairly well encased in plastic.

Try a vacuum. Just make sure you don't suck too much tone out.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Try a vacuum. Just make sure you don't suck too much tone out.

ARE YOU CRAZY! that will upset the delicate crystal lattice inside the transistors! op your tone WILL GO TO COMPLETE SHIT if you do this!!!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I've managed to get one out with a pair of really fine needle nosed pliers once but usually with those type of sockets it's easiest to simply replace it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by travs2448
ARE YOU CRAZY! that will upset the delicate crystal lattice inside the transistors! op your tone WILL GO TO COMPLETE SHIT if you do this!!!

Don't worry, I didn't. I'll just replace it, thanks guys.
Vacuum cleaner and superglue are the two that came to mind for me.

Fun fact: vacuums are also great for unpopping a dented dustcap in the middle of a guitar speaker.

If you get desperate, you could try a solder sucker from your local DIY store:

If all else fails, use a drill with a fine bit and slowly bore into the tip just enough to pull it out.
take it to the shop, if you diy it might end up costing you more money in the long run, any time u play around inside a amp the dc voltage can kill.
Was it actually one of the Neutrik Silent jacks like you linked?

because I had the exact same thing happen with my Cole Clark Acoustic where just the end little bit broke off in the jack
Buy a real amp.

As some have said prop it were gravity will do its thing and use a small screw driver, toothpick or chopstick to bend the tang enough for it to drop out.

It really isn't worth taking it to a shop.

And if you have cable connection problems after you can get small 90 degree pick or paper clip and pull the tang back into place for good connection.
Yes this happened to my Fender amp my solution and it worked was to use a tungsten 1/8 drill bit attached to my drummel i centered the drill bit on the tip and turned on the drill on while it was inside the input jack applied light pressure took a few tries but eventually the tip was pulverized enough that remnants fell inside the mono jack caseing and it now works just be careful when drilling turn off your amp.