*Not quite sure if to post in Pit or Metal Forum*

Good day, people..

I am a fan of Metal, like basically everyone in this sub-forum, and I have a serious topic on hand.

I live in Australia btw, but anyway.
I have recently changed schools, my new ones not very far from the other one.
At my old school, I experienced constant bullying and hate partly because of my love for metal. Kids called it "Screamo" on pourpose, imiating harsh vocals in class and all this bullshit.

At my new school, I am experiening constant hate SOLELY because I listen to metal, kids calling it screamo, people following me asking me to headbang and play air guitar and people patronizing me and lots of bullshit.
The majority of these kids listen to what they call "Normal people's music", which is just pop and hip hop and 50-cent-Nickel-rebecca-black and whatever happens to be on the radio.
Did I mention they wear American Football/Basketball/Baseball hats? IN AUSTRALIA?

I am proud to be a metalhead, there are very few people who listen to metal in my area, I have only one or two mates who listen to metal but nowhere with as much passion as I have for the music.

There isnt much of a Metal scene. Its more of a Hardcore scene.
And theres almost no Hardcore kids in my schools anyway.
Most of the metalheads and hardcore kids are grown up adults that live in a cave underneath the sea and only come out for local concerts which happen once in a blue moon.

I am curious, does metal get this level of hate elsewhere in the world?

Do other members of this forum experience this level of hate because they listen to this emotional, technical, TRUE music?

PS: If you seen the video for "Waking the Demon" by Bullet for my Valentine, you'll know the only solution for this problem is to turn into a warewolf and hunt down your bullies in the woods at night on a full moon....
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Dec 2, 2011,
Quote by Ultraussie
*Not quite sure if to post in Pit or Metal Forum*

Good day, people..

I am a fan of Metal, like basically everyone in this sub-forum, and I have a serious topic on hand.

I live in Australia btw, but anyway.
I have recently changed schools, my new ones not very far from the other one.
At my old school, I experienced constant bullying and hate partly because of my love for metal. Kids called it "Screamo" on pourpose, imiating harsh vocals in class and all this bullshit.

At my new school, I am experiening constant hate SOLELY because I listen to metal, kids calling it screamo, people following me asking me to headbang and play air guitar and people patronizing me and lots of bullshit.
The majority of these kids listen to what they call "Normal people's music", which is just pop and hip hop and 50-cent-Nickel-rebecca-black and whatever happens to be on the radio.
Did I mention they wear American Football/Basketball/Baseball hats? IN AUSTRALIA?

I am proud to be a metalhead, there are very few people who listen to metal in my area, I have only one or two mates who listen to metal but nowhere with as much passion as I have for the music.

There isnt much of a Metal scene. Its more of a Hardcore scene.
And theres almost no Hardcore kids in my schools anyway.
Most of the metalheads and hardcore kids are grown up adults that live in a cave underneath the sea and only come out for local concerts which happen once in a blue moon.

I am curious, does metal get this level of hate elsewhere in the world?

Do other members of this forum experience this level of hate because they listen to this emotional, technical, TRUE music?

Sounds like your school is full of Brogans (Bogans? I don't really know the term, Australian wiggers), who like the American wigger and the British chav, are invariably assholes. I would say ignore them, but if your schools full of them, you probably won't be able to. Just tell them to **** off. They probably will.

In my native America, nobody gives a **** what you listen to. Most people listen to other shit, but they won't hate on a person for liking metal, though they may voice their disdain of metal music. Lucky me.

EDIT:
Quote by Zero Substance
go awayyyyyyyy

also, this lolololoololololololol
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Dec 2, 2011,
What you are experiencing is an attempt at socialization. Humans are naturally uncomfortable around people who are different, so they try to convert you to their culture. It's not a hatred towards metal and all who enjoy it, it's an ethnocentric ideology.

That being said, metal is constantly under attack by media and the like. It's not uncommon for people to assume that all metalheads are unintelligent, mentally unstable, highly rebellious, practice poor hygiene and have an obsession with the occult, particularly Satanism.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
In Belgium you have LOADS of metalheads. We like to make fun of 'em because most are like the perfect stereotype you can find on the internet, but I do have some friends that can appreciate a laugh now and then.

I don't really hate, cause I like my own fair share of metal (Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Rammstein etc) but I can imagine some people hating them.
Most people over here don't really care and rather hate those who listen to the typical radiosh*t like Black, Cyrus, Coldplay and whatnot

EDIT: ^you should go to a Slayer concert and tell them you don't like every album and find them kinda similar on any song/album they ever made. You're a flashing bullseye in the moshpit
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Last edited by TimTheWizard at Dec 2, 2011,
Everyone that responds to people dissing Metal always mentions Pop Acts. This is fine and dandy, but why is it always Rebecca Black, Justin Bieber, Nickelback, Lady Gaga, and the like...

Why not Adele, Micheal Buble, Jason Mraz, Bruno Mars, et cetera? I mean come on, poppers aren't THAT ignorant to music.

OT: People dislike most Metal due to it's harsh sound compared to what is naturally on the radio. If someone messes with you about it, either laugh about it or ignore them.
if you have this attitude of metal being "TRUE" music, you're gonna get made fun of by everyone. surely you must be doing something to provoke the attacks?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
come to canada LOTS of metal heads here
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if you have this attitude of metal being "TRUE" music, you're gonna get made fun of by everyone. surely you must be doing something to provoke the attacks?
Yeah, kind of this. If you try your best not to be the stereotypical metalhead, people won't care. I listen to boatloads of metal, but you wouldn't be able to tell it on most days (unless I wear a band shirt/hoodie or something). Just act like everyone else, don't put down other people's musical tastes while elevating your own, and don't make it the thing by which you identify yourself to others. Also,
Quote by Ultraussie
PS: If you seen the video for "Waking the Demon" by Bullet for my Valentine, you'll know the only solution for this problem is to turn into a warewolf and hunt down your bullies in the woods at night on a full moon....
This is doing it wrong. I'm curious now TS, how old are you, how many artists are in your music player, and what are your favourite bands? You'll get much less hate if you have at least some music most people can enjoy, but still has enough musical integrity to be listenable.
Quote by river.wild
Invite them to your house to sacrifice a baby kangaroo. That oughta do it.

Australians don't live in houses, they live in mud huts with Koalas.
Quote by TimTheWizard

EDIT: ^you should go to a Slayer concert and tell them you don't like every album and find them kinda similar on any song/album they ever made. You're a flashing bullseye in the moshpit

I don't know what to say here in a forum possibly full of Slayer fans lol.

RAINING BLOOD!!!!
Ooops. REIGN IN BLOOD!!!

Quote by Pat_s1t
Yeah, kind of this. If you try your best not to be the stereotypical metalhead, people won't care. I listen to boatloads of metal, but you wouldn't be able to tell it on most days (unless I wear a band shirt/hoodie or something). Just act like everyone else, don't put down other people's musical tastes while elevating your own, and don't make it the thing by which you identify yourself to others. Also,This is doing it wrong. I'm curious now TS, how old are you, how many artists are in your music player, and what are your favourite bands? You'll get much less hate if you have at least some music most people can enjoy, but still has enough musical integrity to be listenable.

I never put down other people's musical tastes unless they put down mine.
Never instigate shit.
I don't try to be a stereotypical metalhead, I have had long hair before I was into Metal, I do wear band t-shirts because I like those bands (Lamb of God is more sophisicated than say, "Rip Curl Clothing Established 19--" or "Nike Adias Sports"), not every all time time but yeah I wear them on certain days.

Listen to over 140 artists in my iTunes, such as Carcass, Orphaned Land, Psycroptic, Universum, Divine Heresy etc just to name a few of the more well known acts which I like.

And Bullet for my Valentine was like the first ever metal band I listened too haahah, actually yeah Waking the Demon first song I heard, still have allot of respect for that band, they write catchy songs and Padge is not a bad guitarist.

EDIT:
Some people around were I live who aren't full on metalheads listen to bands like Bullet for my Valentine, Parkway Drive, I Killed the Prom Queen etc sometimes along with some blend of Alt rock and pop music or electro or whatever..
Not nessacarily my favourite bands, atleast they won't be offended when I mention metal when the conversation moves onto music...
Parkway Drive has some good breakdowns, but then again, so does every second hardcore band lol.
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by Ultraussie
I am proud to be a metalhead
lol there's your problem

50 cent is awesome
Quote by Ultraussie
>implying music that...

oh, fuck it, I'll just be wasting my time
Quote by Ultraussie
PS: If you seen the video for "Waking the Demon" by Bullet for my Valentine

EDIT:
Quote by Ultraussie
Parkway Drive has some good breakdowns, but then again, so does every second hardcore band lol.
>parkway drive
>hardcore

pick one
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Sounds like your school is full of Brogans (Bogans? I don't really know the term, Australian wiggers), who like the American wigger and the British chav, are invariably assholes. I would say ignore them, but if your schools full of them, you probably won't be able to. Just tell them to **** off. They probably will.

In my native America, nobody gives a **** what you listen to. Most people listen to other shit, but they won't hate on a person for liking metal, though they may voice their disdain of metal music. Lucky me.

EDIT:

also, this lolololoololololololol

Bogans aren't wiggers, bogans are city hillbillys/rednecks.

Here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4

It's just taking the piss, and it's quite sympathetic, I think, but that's basically what a bogan is.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Dec 3, 2011,
you can be all the stereotypical metalhead you want, i still think your problem is that you think metal is teh bestest and everything, when actually it's just your favorite. and i, as a metalhead, do not appreciate that. it might be why you're taking the jabs more seriously than you should be.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
^^^^^^^^
Never said Metal was the best,
but it is certaintly allot better than pop, rap, hip hop etc...
Classical, Jazz, Blues often have high technical virtuosity as well, Metal does have virtuosity to a high degree and I do appreciate that.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
^^^^^^^^
Classical, Jazz, Blues often have high technical virtuosity as well, Metal does have virtuosity to a high degree and I do appreciate that.

Bjork and A Tribe Called Quest are far more talented than any of your bullshit metal bands
Philosophy > Life
Quote by Ultraussie
^^^^^^^^
Now see what you've gone and done here? You've flagrantly and blatantly displayed your superiority complex and intolerance for many other styles of music...This is prone to starting arguments with proponents of those aforementioned other styles.

You've managed to start an argument with me, simply by alluding to rap and hip hop being music. They are not. Hip hop is a long string of racially charged, poorly formed sentences, laced with gratuitous profanity, pointlessly accompanied by the mindless and chronic overuse of a subwoofer.

BTW, from time to time the "technical virtuosity" in metal music gets trumped by all the screaming and distortion for distortion's sake. Come on, does anybody really think a "Krankenstein" is a good amplifier?

Also, post pubescent males are known to be very limited in their scope of musical taste, which is very often, heavy metal. With that said, it could be interpreted as a form of mating call. Pity that it doesn't always invoke the desired hormonal response in the desired demographic.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 3, 2011,
Can we ban him ?
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

The OP.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Captaincranky
You've managed to start an argument with me, simply by alluding to rap and hip hop being music. They are not.
Quote by Captaincranky
Now see what you've gone and done here? You've flagrantly and blatantly displayed your superiority complex and intolerance for many other styles of music...This is prone to starting arguments with proponents of those aforementioned other styles.
sup
Quote by Captaincranky
Hip hop is a long string of racially charged, poorly formed sentences, laced with gratuitous profanity, pointlessly accompanied by the mindless and chronic overuse of a subwoofer.
sup
Actually good point, can we ban him as well ?
Quote by Steve08

This thread is a waste. The TS says he doesn't put metal on a pedestal, and then bashes every other genre he can think of for "not being as complex." Just let him suffer from social intolerance and stop trying to rationalize with the fool.

EDIT: ^Give them a temporary for loving metal and hating on hip-hop in metal forum, it would please Flava Flav.
What's the point of living if you're not living a dream?
Last edited by jazar94 at Dec 3, 2011,
i hate most hip hop, but Death Grips is too good to ignore.
Quote by Steve08

Do people not remember Ultraussie? Massive massive troll
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.