For the longest time, I've had a problem with my EMG-equipped guitars. When I strike a basic power chord or pretty-much any two strings, it makes a "wavy" kind of sound, like a "bowwwwwowowow" instead of ringing out solid. I'm 100% sure that I'm in tune and intonated properly. My passives don't do it, so I'm thinking that it's my crappy Spider Valve. I could be wrong, but since the Spider isn't a true tube amp and is digital, it seems like it can't handle the high output of the EMGs. I've tried new tubes, new nuts, new strings, new batteries and even going to 18 volts, but nothing has helped, so I'd at least like to get some thoughts from people more experienced that myself. My guitars are mid-to-high end, such as Gibson Explorer, EC-401, V-300. I've also talked to a few professionals and guitar "vets" and none of them could help. The thing that really makes me lose my mind is that I haven't read about anyone else having this kind of problem.

I think it's also worth noting that I'm able to get a better, more natural-sounding tone through a Marshall MG10 than the Spider Valve and the wavy crap isn't quite as bad.

And YES, I know that Line 6 is horrible, digital crap. I know I was wrong for buying it and I'm still doin' time, so please spare me.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Last edited by HeavyMetalSonic at Dec 2, 2011,
Take your guitar and play through a different amp. If it does it... It's your electronics or your pickups.
I see you have three guitars in your sig that have EMGs (all with 81/60's..), if all three guitars are doing it then it's obviously the amp and not the guitars. Unless you're using pedals in between the guitar and amp, then it could be one of the pedals causing the problem.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
You can try lowering the pickups a little, I find they sound better backed off anyway.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I don't use pedals (don't care for them) and tweaking the pickup height didn't do anything.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner