I want to start playing guitar, but a lot of the guitars I've been looking at all have 'jumbo frets', and I want to know what exactly they are and if it will be a problem as I have small hands. I have found one with medium frets, but if jumbo frets are better, I'd like to know.
Jumbo frets are taller. The fret spacing isn't any wider. The scale length effects fret spacing, but the fret type does not. Jumbo frets should make very little difference to your playing.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Jumbo frets are taller. The fret spacing isn't any wider. The scale length effects fret spacing, but the fret type does not. Jumbo frets should make very little difference to your playing.

what do you mean by "taller"?
Frets are not the "boxes" on the neck but the metal bars on your guitar neck
With jumbo frets they mean that the frets (the metal bars) are bigger then for example medium ones.
The space between frets are still the same because of the notes you play.
Try both types of frets and see which ones are more comfy for you.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
The frets will be taller. You can still play them with small hands, will not make a difference. If you have small hands, you will want to make sure the guitar has a neck radius that is best for you. Just go to your local shop and try some out!
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
I dont think fret size and hand size are related. If your small hands seem to be a problem, you could look into getting a guitar with a shorter scale length. Most people dont notice the difference between the common lengths 24 3/4 and 25 1/2, but I recently got a 19 and its really way different, in some ways harder!