Hi,

Im New to the guitar effects processor world i am thinking of getting either the podHD or Axefx. However, i dont understand how the sound comes out. For amps all you do is plug in guitar and on switch but for these processors im confused with what are the different type of setups i can do to...how should i say...hear the sound?

E.g i know many people like the pod because if your afraid of your neighours complaining about loud guitar noises at night you can just use a earpiece plug it into the pod and hear yourself right? Is this true for all pods like podhd300/podx3/podpro? For the axefx you have to have a poweramp and a cabinet to hear the sound right? If you plug these two processors into a computer how are you going to hear the sound?

Im confused so it would help if someone would give me a beginners guide Also which POD is the best in terms of quality of sound and variety of sounds?
I now have a signature
Last edited by jnsw at Dec 3, 2011,
The AxeFX costs 4 times as much as the POD and is vastly more complicated.

You can use them in a number of ways:

With headphones
Plugged into a power amp, which is plugged into a cab
Directly into the PA
Plugged into a computer
In the effects loop or in front of an amp

And probably more.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
for headphones - plug guitar into pod, choose amp/effects, plug headphones into headphone jack. rock out.

for live use A - plug guitar into pod, choose amp/effects, plug output of pod into pa system.. Rock out.

for live use B - guitar into pod, make a tone, plug output of pod into power amp, plug poswer amp into cabinet, rock out. (instead of using a power amp+cab you could also plug into a powered speaker or combo amp or half stack or any other means of amp+speaker)

for recording - plug pod into computer via usb, guitar in pod, make tone, go into your recording program and make the pod your audio device, then plug headphones into the headphone jack or some sort of amp+speaker into the output and then everything from your computer will go into that.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by jnsw
E.g i know many people like the pod because if your afraid of your neighours complaining about loud guitar noises at night you can just use a earpiece plug it into the pod and hear yourself right? Is this true for all pods like podhd300/podx3/podpro?
Exactly, you can use headphones with em all. Also you can plug them into guitar poweramps and cabs, PA equipment, studio monitors or even ordinary computer speakers. Headphones probably give the best sound for the lowest price.
Quote by jnsw
For the axefx you have to have a poweramp and a cabinet to hear the sound right?
I'm not 100% sure but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't use all the same options the Pod has with the Axe-Fx.
Quote by jnsw
If you plug these two processors into a computer how are you going to hear the sound?

I know the Pod XTs and up have USB connections for computers. The most common way is to use that to make the computer and Pod communicate together, and then plug some kind of headphones or speakers to the Pod to hear everything coming from the computer and the Pod. I.e. using the Pod as a sound card for the computer. I do this anyway with my X3.
Quote by jnsw
Also which POD is the best in terms of quality of sound and variety of sounds?

I think the general consensus is that at the moment, Pod X3 has the most options for shaping your tone, while the HD500 sounds more realistic.
Quote by Jyrgen
Exactly, you can use headphones with em all. Also you can plug them into guitar poweramps and cabs, PA equipment, studio monitors or even ordinary computer speakers. Headphones probably give the best sound for the lowest price.
I'm not 100% sure but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't use all the same options the Pod has with the Axe-Fx.

I know the Pod XTs and up have USB connections for computers. The most common way is to use that to make the computer and Pod communicate together, and then plug some kind of headphones or speakers to the Pod to hear everything coming from the computer and the Pod. I.e. using the Pod as a sound card for the computer. I do this anyway with my X3.

I think the general consensus is that at the moment, Pod X3 has the most options for shaping your tone, while the HD500 sounds more realistic.

Hmm what do you mean by "Headphones probably give the best sound for the lowest price.""? Are you comparing using headphones against speakers? Well i already have a earpiece(a shitty one at that) so maybe buying a speaker will give me a setup closer to a real amp
I now have a signature
Quote by kyle62
Better idea; why don't you explain what you want a modeller for and how you intend to use it, then we'll tell you what you need. Deal?

Well i would like to use it to record songs as simplifed as possible because people throw these weird terms around and it can be quite confusing for people new to processors . For live situations i was thinking people would use pod>poweramp>cab setup yea?

Also random question is it TRUE mac is a better platform than windows to record songs? If so i want to buy a mac lol

Random question 2: Do you need something like a APOGEE to connect your pod to a computer?I dont understand what an APOGEE does
I now have a signature
Quote by InanezGuitars44
for headphones - plug guitar into pod, choose amp/effects, plug headphones into headphone jack. rock out.

for live use A - plug guitar into pod, choose amp/effects, plug output of pod into pa system.. Rock out.

for live use B - guitar into pod, make a tone, plug output of pod into power amp, plug poswer amp into cabinet, rock out. (instead of using a power amp+cab you could also plug into a powered speaker or combo amp or half stack or any other means of amp+speaker)

for recording - plug pod into computer via usb, guitar in pod, make tone, go into your recording program and make the pod your audio device, then plug headphones into the headphone jack or some sort of amp+speaker into the output and then everything from your computer will go into that.

Another noob question but whats the difference between PA system and the live use b method? In terms of sound quality which one is better?
I now have a signature
You don't need an apogee. You can plug the pod straight into the comp via a USB cable

The the two live use methods I mentioned will sound different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. It's all preference.

Mac isn't necessarily better than PC. It's pretty much a preference thing.

For recording on your computer, a line 6 pod works great. You plug a guitar into the pod, then plug the pod into the computer, and you're pretty much done. Everything else is done within a recording program like pro tools or mixcraft or reaper

He meant headphones are the best cheap option because you can get a good pair of headphones for under 100 dollars. A decent amp/cab or powered speaker system will likely cost a lot more.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jnsw
Well i would like to use it to record songs as simplifed as possible because people throw these weird terms around and it can be quite confusing for people new to processors . For live situations i was thinking people would use pod>poweramp>cab setup yea?

Also random question is it TRUE mac is a better platform than windows to record songs? If so i want to buy a mac lol

Random question 2: Do you need something like a APOGEE to connect your pod to a computer?I dont understand what an APOGEE does

Is it just for recording?

All you need to record great guitar tone at home is an audio interface and a VST amp sim.

Simply put, you plug your guitar into computer (using a USB interface), and it goes into virtual guitar amp software. You can record into recording software, and even change the amp settings etc after recording. the sound is better than most modellers like the POD, only the AxeFX can compete.

My guitar/bass recording setup cost me £8 in total, it's just a cheapo interface and free software, but it sounds like this: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow

And no, Mac definitely is not better - there's no advantage either way. Personally, I'd take Windows since there's much bigger choice of software and drivers. For the price of a Mac you could buy a PC with three times the power, so I'd never recommend one.
Quote by kyle62
Is it just for recording?

All you need to record great guitar tone at home is an audio interface and a VST amp sim.

Simply put, you plug your guitar into computer (using a USB interface), and it goes into virtual guitar amp software. You can record into recording software, and even change the amp settings etc after recording. the sound is better than most modellers like the POD, only the AxeFX can compete.

My guitar/bass recording setup cost me £8 in total, it's just a cheapo interface and free software, but it sounds like this: http://soundcloud.com/rightontime/asparagusnow

And no, Mac definitely is not better - there's no advantage either way. Personally, I'd take Windows since there's much bigger choice of software and drivers. For the price of a Mac you could buy a PC with three times the power, so I'd never recommend one.

oh the usb interface like an apogee? i think i know what your trying to say using a free computer software like a pod,thus eliminating one thing from the signal chain. But surely free software would not sound better than a POD?
I now have a signature