i switched out both my guitar's pick ups for EMG's- i bought a RRJS32 bc i couldnt afford the pricier models but at the time but wound up spending about the same price when i installed EMG 81/85's about 200 bucks for the pair and then like 80 bucks for installment) and also my ESP LTD EC1000 has EMG 81/60.i love the sound of both but ever since ive been getting more and more into Metal Mike and his lessons in guitar world mag and on the site i see that he uses Semour Duncan's...which are better for metal/thrash?? and what are the major differences? when i looked at the prices EMG' are usually a bit more expensive..why is that i thought they were both very comparable? what set up do you guys use?thanks.
Love the title.

There's no "better" here. It is about which tone you like the most.
Quote by Jyrgen
Love the title.

Listen to this man now.

My advice: If you don't have a decent amp, get one.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by Jyrgen
Love the title.

This +1
I don't like EMG's for myself, but Lots of bands I like use them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i have a great tube amp(orange tiny terror combo) and a great dist pedal(Boss metal zone) im just saying which do you prefer for metal and why?
I will choose passives any day.
They seem less compressed and have the dynamic range I like.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Depends on the active. EMG X's or 18V EMG's sound a lot better than run of the mill ones.

I deff agree that those sound better. I was stating my personal choice like he asked. I just don't like actives for my music.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I used to adore my emgs, wouldn't touch anything without em. but since ive gotten more into a fatter tone, i actually prefer passives, with alnico magnets nonetheless. They have a response that is much more "lively" , i would say, of course i havent tried emgx pickups and i havent done the 18 volt mod
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by easye917
i have a great tube amp(orange tiny terror combo) and a great dist pedal(Boss metal zone) im just saying which do you prefer for metal and why?

Ahh. I'm not certain which Seymour Duncan pickups you're exactly talking about, but if I played strictly metal myself, I'd probably get EMGs.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I deff agree that those sound better. I was stating my personal choice like he asked. I just don't like actives for my music.

Not knocking your preferences, each to his own just mentioning that the 18V mod has a lot more headroom, and reduces that compressed feel.
ok ok so..if i was to switch to seymour duncans what are the best SD's for hard rock and metal and alot of thrash? what about the Dimebucker or the Distortion models..anyone familiar? aslo lets say i want to resell my RRJS32 with FR but now upgraded with EMG 81/85 set up(like i said i paid about 100 bucks for each) would that affect the price if i decided to sell it?
you can bet anything with DIME in the name is not gonna be great, the Dimebucker is no exception.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have an ec 1000 with emgs. I like the sounds I get. I'm not complaining. However there are some instances where I think they might be giving off some kind of weird feedback that's less than appreciated. Still though, they work just fine for me now. HOWEVER, on every amp I play I always try it with an ec 1000 with emgs, and then another one with seymour duncans. I dreaming LOVE the way the SDs sound. Especially for what i play. They'd just... Idk.. groovier. You know? Metal is my world, and I like both pickups, but the SD just tickle my fancy slightly more than the emgs do. I find the classic jb/59 combo is more than perfect. I'd recommend those.
EMG's are great pickups, and so are Seymour Duncan's. It's really personal preference. I prefer passives because they have better cleans and give me more options with my tone. EMG's are great of aggressive metal, but for more low-gain type stuff, passives with smoke them any day. However, passives are still outstanding for metal. Lamb of God uses Seymour Duncan 59's which are part of his "Vintage Output" series. You can always make pickups heavier using your amp, but having higher output pickups will basically make your amp distort more easily.

That being said, if you want Seymour Duncans for metal, I would recommend either a Duncan Distortion, JB, Custom Custom, Full Shred, or Duncan Custom for the bridge, and either a '59, Pearly Gates, Jazz Model, or Custom 5 in the neck.

You could also check out Dimarzio, but I don't know much about their specific models.
Quote by easye917
ok ok so..if i was to switch to seymour duncans what are the best SD's for hard rock and metal and alot of thrash? what about the Dimebucker or the Distortion models..anyone familiar? aslo lets say i want to resell my RRJS32 with FR but now upgraded with EMG 81/85 set up(like i said i paid about 100 bucks for each) would that affect the price if i decided to sell it?

SD already have good clips of their pickups on there website. Something around medium or high output will do for hard rock & metal. Expect around 25-30% variation in the clips & the real thing when used in your own personal setup.
If you are selling the guitar then sell it with the original pickups installed in it, unless you already sold those off.