i ALWAYS sit while playing guitar...my teacher when i first started about a year ago would make me stand and play but it was so hard. and now that im not with him anymore i sit when i practice- its just more fullfilling because its way easier for me. but i do want to someday be abe to play standing without having to wear my guitar super high...should i just always stand and practice or will it be second nature either way once i get better? thoughts?
Just have your strap length adjusted so the guitar sits in the same position when standing as it does when you sit down.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Best of luck dear for your passion. it's Kagney here from USA. I just started playing guitar, would you please help me to know about it basics.
Personally, I don' t like sitting down while playing electric; it makes the guitar sit too high for a lot of my techniques. I really can't play near as well while sitting. It's just something you have to get used to, and think about it this way - how many of your favorite guitar heros sit in a chair while they play concerts?

I don't know what kind of music you're into, but try to picture Angus Young sitting on a bar-stool while playing Thunderstuck live. Doesn't quite have the same effect, does it? Standing and moving around can become part of your playing; part of your presentation of the music.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
When I first started playing as a teenager I would alternate sitting and standing. Basically sitting for practice, standing when jamming along to something. Either position was equally comfortable.

Fast foward a couple decades... Nowadays I always sit. If I try to play standing not only is it uncomfortable, I cant play alot of things I can while sitting. My wrist feels like its at some weird angle. Ive heard from people that learned guitar sitting and had to teach themselves to play standing that it didnt really take too much to get used to it.

Quote by KailM
"how many of your favorite guitar heros sit in a chair while they play concerts?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV67R3SLvzY

I know, exception to the norm, just being a prick

I remember talking to a few friends the day after the Firm played here..."dude great show but Page sat in a chair for half of it...A chair? Really? Like a throne that ozzy has?...no man, like the chairs in math class....oh"

But if your not a guitar icon thats worshipped by zillions you should probably stand while onstage
Quote by pigeonmafia
Just have your strap length adjusted so the guitar sits in the same position when standing as it does when you sit down.

+1 on this. Standing can be more comfortable I find - you have much more flexibility with the position of the guitar.

My chair isn't particularly comfortable unfortunately so now I just sit til my ass hurts then stand til my feet get tired.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
i practice while sitting hunched over... hope i dont look like the hunchback of notre dame when im older
Quote by Scruffy77
i practice while sitting hunched over... hope i dont look like the hunchback of notre dame when im older

Tell me about it man, im 17 and im already at the physio fortnightly
I tend to sit when recording to really put full focus onto PLAYING and having full control over what I want to sound like, but whenever I jam I usually stand up, it just feels better!
Marshall 2008 MG100HDFX 100W Half-Stack
Epiphone 1998 Korina SG
Epiphone 1966 Custom Shop SG Reissue (Heritage Cherry)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Black (Plain-top)
Epiphone DR-100
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor Baby
thanks for the posts but here is the thing..i dont want to wear my guitar up tp my ****in neck and also if i even try to wear it a bit lower,not even that low like around my waist my wrist hurts when i bend it to get my hands around the neck...it sucks!i know what hour saying..i wanna stand and feel my playing and ****in rock out when im playing along to songs it just my mechanics are exponentially better sitting and i only play for fun...i dont jam with others..not at that point yet
Quote by easye917
thanks for the posts but here is the thing..i dont want to wear my guitar up tp my ****in neck and also if i even try to wear it a bit lower,not even that low like around my waist my wrist hurts when i bend it to get my hands around the neck...it sucks!i know what hour saying..i wanna stand and feel my playing and ****in rock out when im playing along to songs it just my mechanics are exponentially better sitting and i only play for fun...i dont jam with others..not at that point yet

OK so you have 2 options:

1. Keep practicing with the strap at that height and your wrist bent, eventually causing you to develop some guitar-inhibiting condition (my money's on carpal tunnel). This is great if you want to play poorly, be in pain, and potentially prevent you from being able to play for extended periods of time in the future.
2. Put the guitar at a sensible height (above the waist), allowing you to play better and for extended periods of time.

I mean personally, I go for option 2 because when you break it down, it's certainly the least retarded of the two options (in fact you could go so far as to say it's not retarded at all). If you really must play with the guitar low, then you should probably look into playing with your thumb over the neck all the time to allow you to keep a straight wrist. Sure you won't be able to play anything stretchy or complicated, but at least you're less likely to screw up your wrist. Also, again, if you insist on having it low, tilt the neck upwards to allow you to get more reach and play more like you would if the guitar was at a sensible height.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by easye917

Adjust the strap so that the guitar sits high, thereby straightening your wrist and you should keep your style intact.

A sore wrist given time can lead to medical complications, and I'm sure you want to actually continue to play the guitar without pain. Therefore, tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome (the two most common factors in guitar playing) are to be avoided. You can reduce the risk by keeping your wrist as straight as possible.

If you want to have the guitar sit lower just to 'look cool', then be aware that a lot of players play with the guitar high while standing up. Tom Morello (RATM), and Tony MacAlpine to name just two, and both are monster players.

Another player to check out is Zakk Wylde. He compromises between the two, playing with the guitar slung quite low which helps with the 'rock stance', and then pulling the guitar neck up towards his body. The problem can be that the weight of the guitar neck is held in the hand, which impedes movement. Slash also uses the technique.

It's very hard to advise though, as there are a lot of other factors to take into account, guitar weight and shape, the physical size of your limbs, etc. However, one golden rule remains through all your technique: Pain is a no no, and over a prolonged period of time, can lead to physical damage.
Quote by easye917

Then stop moaning and keep wrecking your hands.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You should try learn to do both really.

I started to learn by sitting. Then I switched to standing and after a while it became easier and sitting became harder. Perhaps the best way is that you spend half of your practice time sitting or standing.
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Quote by Akula KO
You should try learn to do both really.

I started to learn by sitting. Then I switched to standing and after a while it became easier and sitting became harder. Perhaps the best way is that you spend half of your practice time sitting or standing.

Yeah I have this too - it's definitely easier standing for me. But I probably spend more time seated just because sitting down is... lazier. Either way, my seat's quite uncomfortable so I sit til my ass hurts then stand til my feet hurt (both are inevitable - uncomfortable chair, flat feet).
Adjust the strap so that the guitar sits high, thereby straightening your wrist and you should keep your style intact.

A sore wrist given time can lead to medical complications, and I'm sure you want to actually continue to play the guitar without pain. Therefore, tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome (the two most common factors in guitar playing) are to be avoided. You can reduce the risk by keeping your wrist as straight as possible.

If you want to have the guitar sit lower just to 'look cool', then be aware that a lot of players play with the guitar high while standing up. Tom Morello (RATM), and Tony MacAlpine to name just two, and both are monster players.

Another player to check out is Zakk Wylde. He compromises between the two, playing with the guitar slung quite low which helps with the 'rock stance', and then pulling the guitar neck up towards his body. The problem can be that the weight of the guitar neck is held in the hand, which impedes movement. Slash also uses the technique.

It's very hard to advise though, as there are a lot of other factors to take into account, guitar weight and shape, the physical size of your limbs, etc. However, one golden rule remains through all your technique: Pain is a no no, and over a prolonged period of time, can lead to physical damage.
theorphillis- thank youvery much for your informative response.i think ill try angling the guitar more...i have a f lying V body asa well as a les paul ESP
okay so after some thought and playing sitting and standing ive come to realize its not just the awkward angle of my left wrist but its the fact that the guitar is not anchored as it is when im sitting. so when i playing songs that require sliding bar chords /power chords etc the guitar tends to move and it pisses me off.. im a intermediate at best when sitting and my skill drops drastically when standing.it sucks ass. i tend to hold the guitar tight when making sliding movements in order to get a good sound but i reality im making the thing move all around. i know what your all gonna say is just keep at it....which i will..just venting i guess
Quote by easye917
okay so after some thought and playing sitting and standing ive come to realize its not just the awkward angle of my left wrist but its the fact that the guitar is not anchored as it is when im sitting. so when i playing songs that require sliding bar chords /power chords etc the guitar tends to move and it pisses me off.. im a intermediate at best when sitting and my skill drops drastically when standing.it sucks ass. i tend to hold the guitar tight when making sliding movements in order to get a good sound but i reality im making the thing move all around. i know what your all gonna say is just keep at it....which i will..just venting i guess

We've all experienced this. After sitting for awhile and then standing it's almost like learning to play all f****n over again!! I understand your frustration but yup!! Keep at it!! It's all about adapting.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Im not gonna lie it took me a bit of time to learn to play standing up but i forced myself and i did it looking in a mirror but once you get comfortable with it standing its no problem.. If you really want to just force yourself to stand and facing w mirror will help and it def pays of in the end !

And sees don't whine about it it just takes some self discipline even though iy gets frustrating just practice practice practice and you'll notice a change in s couple of weeks

Good Luck )
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
Last edited by millie&mavis at Dec 30, 2011,