Hello again,

My band is going into a studio in 2 weeks to record a 4 song EP, and I've just finished recording a guitar track for our latest tune. If it's not any trouble, could you guys please give it a listen and tell me what you think? Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejjgZxG5G-0

Please listen with headphones or decent speakers, sounds pretty shoddy without them! It was recorded in just under an hour so it sounds pretty rushed. I'd love it if you could give me some feedback as to what I can do to improve it, what needs to go, what needs to stay and what sounds good.

One more thing, could you please give this a listen and tell me what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitTnEwoJ0o

It's the solo for our first song we wrote as a band and it was recorded over a year ago, so my playing and tone is not the best, but using that solo idea as a basis to build upon, do you think it's any good or do I need to change it completely? I'd be extremely grateful if someone could help me out! Thanks in advance :-)

Charlie.

EDIT: This was originally posted in the 'Songwriting & Lyrics' forum, but I was told it was supposed to put in the 'Recordings' section. Any input at all would be fantastic! Thanks again!
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

It's hard to just the guitar track out of context. As a stand alone it's pretty boring but bass and drums and another guitar and vocals could completely change that. My main complaint is the sound of that overdrive. I have very high end speakers and the overdrive sounded like there was some sort of digital clipping. It sounded terrible. Maybe back off the recording input or the amount/type of overdrive used
Quote by StacyLondon
It's hard to just the guitar track out of context. As a stand alone it's pretty boring but bass and drums and another guitar and vocals could completely change that. My main complaint is the sound of that overdrive. I have very high end speakers and the overdrive sounded like there was some sort of digital clipping. It sounded terrible. Maybe back off the recording input or the amount/type of overdrive used

Thank you for the feedback! It definitely sounds a hell of a lot better with the rest of the band. Could you explain what you mean by 'digital clipping' please? I can't seem to hear it through my laptop speakers or my headphones! How do I get rid of it? Could you please point out specific points in the recording where you can really hear it? Thank you!
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Last edited by CharlieSlyster at Dec 3, 2011,
I'm not sure how many people are really sure of what you're looking for. I'm not.

Quote by CharlieSlyster
Hello again,

My band is going into a studio in 2 weeks to record a 4 song EP, and I've just finished recording a guitar track ... it sounds pretty rushed. I'd love it if you could give me some feedback as to what I can do to improve it, what needs to go, what needs to stay and what sounds good.

So, if you're going into a proper studio in two weeks, what does it matter what THIS guitar track sounds like? Or do you want us to just evaluate it from a compositional perspective?

Quote by CharlieSlyster

One more thing, could you please give this a listen and tell me what you think?...
It's the solo for our first song ... it was recorded over a year ago, so my playing and tone is not the best, but using that solo idea as a basis to build upon, do you think it's any good or do I need to change it completely?

So, you want us to listen to a solo and tell us what we think of the solo, ignoring the tone and the playing.... and not really for the solo itself, but as being something to build on.... but you're not sure if it is worth using in your recording that you're making in two weeks?

Is that right, or can you help us be a little more clear on what you're looking for?

And if you're not sure exactly what you intend to record in two weeks, why are you still planning on recording in two weeks? In the studio world, time is money. In my studio, it's only $30/hr. Hey, if you want to give me $90 so I can sit there listening to you work out parts for three hours, I'm all yours, but personally, I think your money is better spent on practically anything else you could possibly imagine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I hear what Stacy does. It's like the distortion is so saturated or the input is so loud the the high end of the distortion is breaking up and almost giving a garbled metallic sound. When recording it's best to let the peak stay no higher than 3 decibels from the peak volume. Once you go belong that, there is signal degradation. You'll notice looking at volume sliders it goes into a red area at the upper volume extreme. That is indicating the areas where the signal is clipping out (too much signal to handle so it drops some of it) and that can leave it sounding unnaturally distorted.
I hope you aren't offended but seriously Dude - it's boring and "trite". You need to keep writing and practicing. A song is what you need. I sound like crap and my timings aren't the best. I have a bunch of songs I've written but I would never go into a studio to record until I sounded tight and had a GREAT song...

Practice more and keep writing or you're going to just spend money to record something that IMO is not worthy (which is fine if that's your intent). Please don't be offended but you asked for opinions Buddy.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I hope you aren't offended but seriously Dude - it's boring and "trite". You need to keep writing and practicing. A song is what you need. I sound like crap and my timings aren't the best. I have a bunch of songs I've written but I would never go into a studio to record until I sounded tight and had a GREAT song...

Practice more and keep writing or you're going to just spend money to record something that IMO is not worthy (which is fine if that's your intent). Please don't be offended but you asked for opinions Buddy.

Thank you for the feedback! I know it's boring at the moment, but we're more of a rhythm band, it sounds so much different with vocals, drums and bass. I'm not offended, if it helps me improve as a guitarist/songwriter then I'm happy!

Our other songs are a lot better, we only wrote this two weeks ago and we get 3 hours on a Friday to practice as band. We were only going to record this song if we had spare time at the end (we've booked the studio for 2 days).

We're going into a studio because our bassists grandfather is absolutely f***ing loaded with cash, and he's paying for it as a birthday present.

Thanks again for the feedback, just wanted to know what you guys thought of it!

Charlie.
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

Last edited by CharlieSlyster at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by axemanchris
I'm not sure how many people are really sure of what you're looking for. I'm not.

So, if you're going into a proper studio in two weeks, what does it matter what THIS guitar track sounds like? Or do you want us to just evaluate it from a compositional perspective?

So, you want us to listen to a solo and tell us what we think of the solo, ignoring the tone and the playing.... and not really for the solo itself, but as being something to build on.... but you're not sure if it is worth using in your recording that you're making in two weeks?

Is that right, or can you help us be a little more clear on what you're looking for?

And if you're not sure exactly what you intend to record in two weeks, why are you still planning on recording in two weeks? In the studio world, time is money. In my studio, it's only $30/hr. Hey, if you want to give me $90 so I can sit there listening to you work out parts for three hours, I'm all yours, but personally, I think your money is better spent on practically anything else you could possibly imagine.

CT

I was looking for feedback from a compositional perspective. Like I said earlier, I know it doesn't sound amazing at the moment, but it's a work in progress and I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

As for the solo, I was looking for constructive criticism on the solo itself. I wasn't worried about the tone or technique, just the basic structure and phrasing. We've got the studio booked for 2 days, and we plan to record 4 songs.

Like I said earlier, the guitar track I linked is a work in progress, and I wanted to know what people thought of my tone, playing and the actual song. We are only going to record this if we have spare time after our four chosen songs have been recorded and we are happy with them. Thank you
Quote by Jason

Hehe.