Hey lads,
got a second-hand Laney 20W lionheart with matching 2x12 cab loaded with G12h's a few weeks ago. Last night i cranked it up a wee bit and found that i was only getting sound out one speaker and when i first got it there was a burning smell ( like plastic ? ) but i thought that was just dust on the tubes.

Is it possible that the speaker coil is burnt? And is it normal to get a faint smokey smell at loud volumes from valve amps?

I need all the advise you can throw at me guys cause as much as i love this amp, im thinking of getting my money back if its bust and only have a week or so till the warranty runs out.

Cheers
If you're only getting sound from one speaker, take it back. No sense in messing around trying to repair something that has a warranty. Exchange it for another one.

EDIT: didn't see that it was second hand... I'd take the cab back and try to get it exchanged or something... May have to throw some cash on top to get a new one though, or something else used.

As far as burning smell... it shouldn't smell like smoke when you play. Sometimes when I crank my amp up I can smell... something... Kinda an electronics smell... hard to describe. Not a burning smell, but you can tell the tubes are working and giving off some heat.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 3, 2011,
Take it back. Why are you delaying? Do it before your warranty runs out. You've fried a speaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not to mention old amps or amps that have been sitting around for a while will store a lot of dust, whenever I crank my old Marshall all I can smell is "old". Doesn't really explain smoke though.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Doesn't explain why one speaker isn't working either. If the leads haven't fallen off, it's dead. What's the use of a warranty if you don't use it when something fails?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys

I know what your saying about that kind of electrical heat smell when you crank it up, thats a much better description of what im getting here cheers haha.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed on the warranty. Im just worried that the speaker is irrepairable cause i cant fork out the cash for a new one if they wont cover it. I've had the same problem on an amp i bought from the shop before and once they fixed it it was fine but i had to fork out the cash back then. Just this time i can get my money back.

I'll see how it goes, thanks again for all your help lads
Hey tried to get my money back for the amp but it was sold for someone outside the shop i cant get a refund !
But they offered to give a refund if it costs too much to fix it under the guarantee. The amp tech wont be in till thursday so i'll find out then if its a component or just a bad connection somewhere...

So say the amps been cranked up going through just one speaker instead of two... could it be damaged then, like cause of the impedance mismatch?

Thanks again for all your help guys
yes, there could have been a mismatch

i'd be happy to help you further if you want to dive into this - but ultimately you need to use your warranty.

i don't understand what happened with the amp - you mentioned it was sold for someone outside the shop - you mean the one they would have exchanged for you? Can't they just get another one?
I just know one speaker isnt working and there is a weird "electronical" smell that came from the amp when played loud ( especially with amps spring reverb on full ).

The shop's just a middle-man for selling people's second hand amps for a small fee. Thats their excuse for not letting me get a refund but if they cant fix it i'll get a refund.

Because i paid so much, I want to be sure it will work close to 100% once they fix the speaker. And cause i've seen my mates amps go when they muck up their impedance, Im concerned that this fault could have caused damage elsewhere in my amp? I dont know what the chances of that are with this though?

cheers
so you bought the amp technically used? There is no manufacturers warranty?

based on what you've said so far I'm guessing one of the speakers in your 212 became disconnected internally. this caused all of the load to go to one speaker and you also then had a mismatch on impedance (ohms). that or the ohms were never matched to begin with.

this may have caused a resistor to blow or worse yet, tube pin arcing.

see attached:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501064

in other words, i doubt one of the speakers blew and that is what you smell.

i'm mainly concerned that even with one blown speaker the amp should still have survived with no problems.

so - what is the impedance rating of the cab? what is the impedance rating of each speaker? did you have the amp matched up with the cab in ohms.

if it were my shit I'd open up the amp and look at the guts (dangerous) and open the cab to validate what is going on in there. Unfortunately, doing this may give the store you bought it from ammunition to not honor anything warranty wise.

i'd just do what they say and hope for a fix/replacement
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 4, 2011,
Hey thanks for all your help there mate, that link was a lot of help too

Yeah i bought it used with no manufacturers warranty, kinda regret that now haha.

The cab has two 16ohm speakers wired in parallel so its a 8ohm input yeah? I had it connected to 8 ohm at the amp to the cab so im guessing that means i was running the 8 ohm output into just one 16ohm speaker since one is maybe disconnected? ( Last time i saw a guy mismatch like that he blew all the tubes in his amp ).

Man I had to fight the urge open it up. Cause I'd rather see myself what the damage is and fix it. Anyways fingers crossed its just a lose connection and a quick resistor switch.

cheers man the help's much appreciated
no problem

this last post of yours helps a lot

yeah, your cab would be 8 and you set amp correctly

still you'd have a 20w amp going into a 30w(?) speaker with the amp set to 8 ohm and 1 speaker at 16 - I don't see that being a big problem. I know very little about the Lionheart tho. If it was a 16 ohm amp into an 8 ohm speaker I'd be more worried.

I'll be real curious as to what the shop uncovers so please report back. On the surface it doesn't look like you did anything wrong. I assume the power tubes were pushed snug in etc. It was pre-used so who knows what kind of condition you got it in.

good luck
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 4, 2011,
yeah, 8 ohm at the amp going into a 16 ohm speaker load is a safe mismatch. You don't ever want the speaker to be the lower number.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Yeah I think its a 30W speaker?

Thanks guys! i'll sleep alot better now i know that was a safe mismatch haha

I'll get the results to you on thursday lads as soon as i can
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
no problem

this last post of yours helps a lot

yeah, your cab would be 8 and you set amp correctly

still you'd have a 20w amp going into a 30w(?) speaker with the amp set to 8 ohm and 1 speaker at 16 - I don't see that being a big problem. I know very little about the Lionheart tho. If it was a 16 ohm amp into an 8 ohm speaker I'd be more worried.

I'll be real curious as to what the shop uncovers so please report back. On the surface it doesn't look like you did anything wrong. I assume the power tubes were pushed snug in etc. It was pre-used so who knows what kind of condition you got it in.
good luck

I agree with this. My first thought was a mismatch but logically that probably ain't it. Good luck!
Dude none of that is normal. Your amp should never smell or smoke lol. tube or not.

It sounds like theres a plastic clip with a loose connection (or something) thats getting too hot and burning the plastic, hence the smell, the smoke, and the lack of power to one of the speakers.

If you have a warranty on it, dont dick around and wait, just bring it to them, tell them to fix or replace it and raise hell to try and get free stuff ahaha.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Hey no news, freak weather stopped the tech getting in to the shop. Kinda dissapointed.

But i did manage to get the schematics from Laney and there are about 4 resistors and capacitors in the output stage that could be bust judging by the diagram and the pictures i found of other guys lionhearts opened up :/ .

One thing that really doesnt help the circuit is that its directly above the tubes so the circuit gets loads of heat and a lot of the circuit is plastic. Like the RCA connectors for the reverb and the sockets for the tubes etc.

Cheers guys for your help
Turned out to be a cold solder at the speaker coil which was burning through the lacquer between the wire from the coil and the solder joint. The rest of the amp was fine and fully tested.

Best of all the tech replaced the old speaker with a greenback from the 90's !

Cheers guys