I was looking at the Line 6 Toneport UX1, and was wondering if that is the best I can do.

For:
Recording Guitar, bass, vocals, and doing covers on youtube.
I figured I would get this because, at the moment I do not have a mic so I could plug straight into the computer and play, but when I do get a SM57 or something I would also have the option to plug that into the UX1, so its a win win right?

My understanding is that you plug your guitar in and there is a software you get with various amps and effects that you can use. You have to plug in external speakers to get sound out or use headphones, and you can use almost any recording software to record.

Could someone explain to me how the recording process works? Do you just have the program with the amp models and etc, running in the background while say Audacity is recording or something?

New or used: either/or
Price: Max 150$ no higher.
Major city: Austin Tx
Music: I will be mainly recording Metal: Parkway drive, OF mice and Men, Underoath, BFMV, Periphery, etc. But I do have other interests: John Butler Trio, The dodos, Strokes, Jimi hendrix, Pink Floyd etc.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
i do (some) heavy covers on youtube and i have gotten a decent tone from a vox tonelab pluged into my usb port through reaper. what kind of amps do you have? if you have a good one its probablly better just to mic that!

also whats your youtube channel im always looking for cover channels?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Well, you would set the usb audio device as your primary sound driver which should automatically set audacity to pick it up?, unless there are sound settings for that in audacity...i use Garageband and Audition 3.0 for mine(Garageband for the mac). I have a lexicon Lambda, this is 119$...

BUT! the Lambda also comes with a free copy of Cubase LE which is a nice recording program which can do mastering, and all that other complex stuff but it comes free with the device. Also comes with a decent Reverb plugin to use with the free copy of Cubase LE.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/lexicon-lambda-usb-desktop-studio/245506000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Well, you would set the usb audio device as your primary sound driver which should automatically set audacity to pick it up?, unless there are sound settings for that in audacity...i use Garageband and Audition 3.0 for mine(Garageband for the mac). I have a lexicon Lambda, this is 119$...

BUT! the Lambda also comes with a free copy of Cubase LE which is a nice recording program which can do mastering, and all that other complex stuff but it comes free with the device. Also comes with a decent Reverb plugin to use with the free copy of Cubase LE.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/lexicon-lambda-usb-desktop-studio/245506000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Oh that makes sense.. I feel stupid now haha. And Thanks I'll check out Lambda. Does the lambda have like amp emulations so I can go from like clean to high distortion and stuff.

Quote by travs2448
i do (some) heavy covers on youtube and i have gotten a decent tone from a vox tonelab pluged into my usb port through reaper. what kind of amps do you have? if you have a good one its probablly better just to mic that!

also whats your youtube channel im always looking for cover channels?

I have a Peavey 3120 with a Orange 2x12. and micing the amp that what i was thinking with this. Cause if i Buy a mic than i need to buy a audio interface anyway, so might as well get this and record straight though computer untill i get a mic, and than I can record through some tubes

My youtube channel name is lokiAashraya. The Audio quality arent the best for my previous mic, but the video quality is good haha. Enjoy. Whats your channel?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Dec 3, 2011,
i would honestly just get the interface and mic. no sense getting a bunch of amp sims when you already have a great setup. look for some deals on both the interface and mic. musicians friend.com's has this thing called the stupid deal of the day and i have noticed 75 percent of the deals are mics i have seen an sm57 and 58 up there before to! and they got some great deals for interfaces to!
you could even check ebay or guitarcenter's used section online! i just got an amzing deal on a 4x12 recto cab for 399!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
i would honestly just get the interface and mic. no sense getting a bunch of amp sims when you already have a great setup. look for some deals on both the interface and mic. musicians friend.com's has this thing called the stupid deal of the day and i have noticed 75 percent of the deals are mics i have seen an sm57 and 58 up there before to! and they got some great deals for interfaces to!
you could even check ebay or guitarcenter's used section online! i just got an amzing deal on a 4x12 recto cab for 399!

Yea, but aren't interfaces usually around 150$? and sM57 goes used for 60-70$ quite frequently in austin so I wouldn't really be overspending(for the amp sims and all that)

Thats why I was wondering if the Toneport is good as the other interfaces, that just support mics. Why skip out on guitar/mic input and free amp sims. Just felt like extra free goodness :P
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
ahh i see what you wanna do! haha i didnt get it at first. honestly i dont know if you can use the toneport as just an interface as ive never used one? but if you can yeah go for. im guessing it comes with pod farm correct?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
ahh i see what you wanna do! haha i didnt get it at first. honestly i dont know if you can use the toneport as just an interface as ive never used one? but if you can yeah go for. im guessing it comes with pod farm correct?

Yes I think it comes with Pod farm. Another plus haha.

What did you think I meant at first? I dont want to confuse anyone haha. Not much experiences with using computer to play and interfaces.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit