How will I know If I have to adjust the truss rod? What does the truss rod even do? O_O

In my 2 years of playing, I never really bothered to learn guitar maintenance stuff. sorry.

Thanks,
The truss rod adjusts the relief of the neck, you would usually loosen or tighten it if you have any problems with your guitars action. Loosening it will bend the neck downwards whereas tightening it will straighten it. You would adjust it using an allen key in the nut at the top (or bottom on some guitar) of your guitars neck. Its not always the best idea to mess about with it though as you can really knacker you neck if you do it wrong. If you are going to do anything remove the strings first and then turn the nut very slightly to the right or left depending if you want to loosen or tighten it.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
There's not really a specific set in stone rule to it but I adjust my truss rod if I have too much or too little neck relief. There's a lot of faqs out there that will explain how to check your neck bow/neck relief you if you just do a google search, even some videos on youtube that show you step by step.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by MaddMann274
How will I know If I have to adjust the truss rod? What does the truss rod even do? O_O

In my 2 years of playing, I never really bothered to learn guitar maintenance stuff. sorry.

Thanks,

if you find that no matter how much you adjust the bridge,
you can't get the action in the right spot without fretbuzz that transmits thru the amp.

then yes, you might have to adjust the truss rod, to help make the guitar
more playable.

to know WHEN to adjust the truss rod,

you would want to first Measure the neck's relief.

to know how to measure, click the green link in my sig
and check out the first post.

all questions can be asked in that thread.
it is answered daily.

JEnny
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
In layman's terms, the truss rod is way of adjusting (and combatting) the amount of bend in the neck. Too much one way and you'll get fret buzz, too much the other way and you'll get stupidly high action.
If you put your head by the bridge and look down the length of the neck, you'll be able to see if it's bent. Or you can try resting a straight edge (ruler, wood, etc) along the frets. If it is bent, you'll need to adjust the truss rod.

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.