I'm not sure if this would be considered a vs thread but here goes......

The two epis I'm looking at are:

Traditional Pro:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105939029-i1515777.gc

Plus Top:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar-102040508-i1149990.gc

The main difference is that the plus top has a nice flame top. For the same price, the traditional pro has coil tap and grover tuners. I already know how they play.....I'm not ruling out any other guitars, I'll go try others too but these Epiphones are backups incase I don't like any other HH guitar for this price.

What would you choose?

Please keep in mind I have a Fender standard strat (this is why I'm wondering if I'll ever use the coil tap) and an ART300 (for teh br00tlz).

Thank you UG!!!!!!!!!!!
And have a Merry Christmas
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Both have grover tuners.

I don't care for coil taps.

Out of the two guitars, get the plustop for the aesthetics.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'd consider the Pro myself. It says it has a 14 inch radius whihc is flatter than the standard 12 inch radius and better for bending. The Pro has straplocks included too. The Pro also says it has MOP inlays which are nicer that the acryllic ones in the Standard.
Moving on.....
if you ever start to gig, then having coil tap allows you to keep the same guitar on your shoulders for more songs. which means less dead time on stage, which means more lively audience, which means better pr for you, which in turn results in the increased chance of making a name for yourself.

coil tap.
Coil taps are overrated.

Straplocks are cheap. MOP inlays won't make you play or sound better. They hardly look any different from a distance.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Both have grover tuners.

I don't care for coil taps.

Out of the two guitars, get the plustop for the aesthetics.

I thought you didn't care about how a guitar looked, just how it played?

So confused...............i really hope they discontinue one model and local GCs stock gets destroyed so I wouldn't have to choose.

For people that have guitars with coil tap, does it sound like a strat single coil? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never used a guitar with coil tap
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by FearMyLightning

This^. Play them both. Multiples of both if possible. There can be only one.

Also **** the ART300. Put emgs in the epi.
I'd take the Trad Pro out of the two, just because I like to have as many tones as possible(though, like you said, you've got a Strat already, and while the coil-tapped sound is its own really, I like a pure single-coil better), and I think the zebra-coils and flat black top(there's a trans cherry Trad Pro in a shop where I live too, and that's just sexy looking) look better. And I thought the Plus Top had Grovers too, but if it doesn't that's another one up the Trad has over the Plus Top. What are you going to be playing on it though? If you're gonna be just playing classic rock-y type stuff on it, I'd check out an Epi Dot, I liked the Dot I played a lot better tonally than the Epi LPs and SGs I've played(though the neck could do to be thinner...), AND it's semi-hollow.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by FearMyLightning

If a guitar looks nice, you're going to play it more often. The more often you play it, be better you get.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by 00_hns_00
if you ever start to gig, then having coil tap allows you to keep the same guitar on your shoulders for more songs. which means less dead time on stage, which means more lively audience, which means better pr for you, which in turn results in the increased chance of making a name for yourself.

coil tap.

i really disagree that coil taps are in any way beneficial when playing live and they certainly shouldn't be the selling point on any guitar, no matter what a bunch of schecter fanboys might think

when you're playing live, sounding exactly like a recording is far less important than having a sound that sits in the right place in the mix alongside everything else. with coil taps, you can pretty much either get the humbucker sound EQ'd right, or the single coil sound EQ'd right (whether it will even sound good at all anyway is debatable for a start), or have to change your amp settings between songs anyway, because the difference in volume and frequency content is too extreme.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Enix165
What are you going to be playing on it though?

I'll use a Fender Mustang III and a Vox AC4TV.

And yes, mainly rock. I planned on checking out the Dot and a few of the artcore guitars as well (mentioned that in a thread i made a week or so ago) along with an SE singlecut and whatever else i can find

The Epiphones are kind of like a backup incase nothing else amuses me. I know how they feel and have tried them. But honestly, I don't think I want a semi-hollow but I'll go try in a week or so.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If a guitar looks nice, you're going to play it more often. The more often you play it, be better you get.

Maybe for some. My ugliest guitar IMO is my rg1570 which gets the most play solely because it plays so much better then the others. My best looking guitar (again imo) a kramer korina explorer w/ prs bird inlays gets very little use, except for friends.
Quote by JKHC
I'll use a Fender Mustang III and a Vox AC4TV.

And yes, mainly rock. I planned on checking out the Dot and a few of the artcore guitars as well (mentioned that in a thread i made a week or so ago) along with an SE singlecut and whatever else i can find

The Epiphones are kind of like a backup incase nothing else amuses me. I know how they feel and have tried them. But honestly, I don't think I want a semi-hollow but I'll go try in a week or so.

Try before you buy before you even consider getting one.

Quote by StateFarmsThere
Maybe for some. My ugliest guitar IMO is my rg1570 which gets the most play solely because it plays so much better then the others. My best looking guitar (again imo) a kramer korina explorer w/ prs bird inlays gets very little use, except for friends.

I would take playability over looks too, but looks are what'll make you pick the guitar up in the first place.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I would take playability over looks too, but looks are what'll make you pick the guitar up in the first place.

But many people wouldn't which is why this exists:

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

that only applies to people who actually care how a guitar looks. not everyone does.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by KenG
I'd consider the Pro myself. It says it has a 14 inch radius whihc is flatter than the standard 12 inch radius and better for bending. The Pro has straplocks included too. The Pro also says it has MOP inlays which are nicer that the acryllic ones in the Standard.

this.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Blompcube
that only applies to people who actually care how a guitar looks. not everyone does.

The vast majority do, but it's all down to taste.

Whatever works for them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Mmkay, I think I'll just settle on the Traditional Pro from a spec standpoint. I'll try them and then finalize.

Be on the lookout for a NGD thread in a week or so. Either an Epi or a PRS.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Sorry for the double post but I kinda have to bump this.

Would a Faded Gibson Studio be better than the Traditional Pro? I don't care about the aesthetics much.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Just get a telecaster man, it'll make your life ALOT simpler.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
^^ Eww, telecasters.......

Any help? Please?

Gibby Faded Studio worth it compared to an epi traditional pro?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
^^ Eww, telecasters.......

Any help? Please?

Gibby Faded Studio worth it compared to an epi traditional pro?

Take that back about telecasters and I'll help you
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker
Take that back about telecasters and I'll help you

I take it back.

Although, we should ask Leo why he made the Strat.......
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I take it back.

Although, we should ask Leo why he made the Strat.......

Drugs man, drugs.

But back to your weird humbucker guitars.

The Gibson faded, in my opinion, is of a better quality, and looks nicer, I cannot stand Epi headstocks.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker

The Gibson faded, in my opinion, is of a better quality, and looks nicer, I cannot stand Epi headstocks.

How do the pickups compare? As far as I know, the fadeds have burstbuckers and the epiphone has alnico classic humbuckers modeled after the gibson 57s. Which do you think sounds better?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
How do the pickups compare? As far as I know, the fadeds have burstbuckers and the epiphone has alnico classic humbuckers modeled after the gibson 57s. Which do you think sounds better?

....I'd put a P94 in it.... but out of those two the burstbuckers.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Ok....(bump in disguise)
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

So confused...............i really hope they discontinue one model and local GCs stock gets destroyed so I wouldn't have to choose.

For people that have guitars with coil tap, does it sound like a strat single coil? Sorry for my ignorance, I've never used a guitar with coil tap

try it out. we can't answer that for you. honestly, a coil tapped neck humbucker when tapped sounds like a telecaster neck to me, but its all about which pickup and whatnot.
Going to GC later today. Any other recommendations for under 500? They have a used faded gibby sg, how's that?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by blaaargh
That's a great price for an awesome guitar. I'd say do it.

What guitar are you talking about?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
It sounds to me like you don't know what you want. Your first choices were at LPs now you're asking about SGs. Settle down and think before you run to GC with money in hand determined to buy a any guitar. You're bordering on impulse here and in my experience you'll end up with buyers remorse.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
It sounds to me like you don't know what you want. Your first choices were at LPs now you're asking about SGs.

Wrong. Go to GC and try out a bunch of guitar you think you'll like, remember you don't have to buy anything, and you can try out any guitar you want.
Thanks for the help everyone. Went to GC and fell in love with a PRS Se245. Tried out others, none stood up to it. Beautiful tobacco burst. Expect a NGD thread tomorrow.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by FearMyLightning
Wrong. Go to GC and try out a bunch of guitar you think you'll like, remember you don't have to buy anything, and you can try out any guitar you want.

No not wrong, experienced. People often buy gutars based on no research, with no knowledge of the real differences between models (other than simple looks by what I read far too often here) and with only a short time playing in the store. Sometimes they buy simply because that's the the guitar they can get with money they have to spend at that moment! Wow what a way to pick something. These people are constantly buying & selling guitars because, surprise! in the end they don't like or aren't blown away by what they bought.

There's a period with any new instrument where it feels fresh and it's usually a short term love affair if it's bought on impulse as you are advocating. A well chosen instrument goes beyond the moment and should be based on a player's personal preferences (not just on music styles chosen).

Guitars have characteristics that affect long term use and comfort, for example almost nobody discusses preferences for scale length or fingerboard radius which are major factors in the long term playing comfort of a guitar. All you read is how many frets it has (as if many could actually use all 24 vs 22 to begin with) and of course with that how easy it is to play the last two frets (access).
Moving on.....
the faded studios are nice enough.

some years they have maple tops, other years thy have mahogany tops. (since you said used, either could be the case).

they are all different so try as many as you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I said I bought a PRS Se245. Making a thread after I get on computer.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?