45 years, burned down 28 of those.

The giant straw goat, which has been erected in the town's main square every year since 1966, undergoes a battle against the elements and local arsonists every year, which splits loyalties in the town.

Half of the inhabitants take pride in the giant animal, while the other half take equal pride in attempting to burn it down.

Which would you say is the better tradition?
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
That's very humorous, and something that I think would only happen in Sweden. I also wouldn't be surprised if it were in Finland.

I wonder if the opposing sides are at all hostile, or if it's all just a big game?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
That's very humorous, and something that I think would only happen in Sweden. I also wouldn't be surprised if it were in Finland.

I wonder if the opposing sides are at all hostile, or if it's all just a big game?

I'd imagine the later, but considering tax dollars go into building it, I'm sure there's an army of curmudgeons who give far too many shits.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Quote by sglover34479
Thought this was a live goat.
Don't care about what people do with their straw.

Same as this
Burn it. Burn it down like Rome.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
They have had some pretty hardcore ram-protection the last few years, good too see they succeded this year.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zox at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by sglover34479
Thought this was a live goat.
Don't care about what people do with their straw.

This.

You have misled as TS, and you should feel ashamed.
Previous attempts to sabotage it have included the bribing of security guards and a foiled helicopter heist.

....wut.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
My school band played there the same night, lol.

They are always trying different methods to keep it from catching on fire, this year they were going to put water on it so that eventually it would be covered by a layer of ice, but it hasn't been cold enough for that these last few days.

Though it usually doesn't burn until shortly before Christmas.
Quote by vicarious46
....wut.

It's a tradition, i remember previous attempts using fire-arrows and radio-controlled planes with napalm. All while trying to avoid security.
¯|(°_o)/¯
In 2001, it was torched by an American tourist, who served a month in jail and was fined 100,000 kronor ($14,700), while claiming in his defense that he thought he had been participating in a local and perfectly legal tradition.

According to wikipedia he left the country immediately after his release and as of 2006 did not pay the fine

Quote by wiki
Goat set on fire on 23 December by Lawrence Jones, a 51-year-old visitor from Cleveland, Ohio, who spent 18 days in jail and was subsequently convicted and ordered to pay 100,000 Swedish kronor in damages. The court also confiscated Jones's cigarette lighter with the argument that he clearly was not able to handle it. Jones stated in court that he is no "goat burner", and believed that he was taking part in a completely legal goat-burning tradition. After Jones was released from prison he went straight back to the US without paying his fine. As of 2006 it is still unpaid. The Natural Science Club's goat was also burnt down this year

This is one of the coolest traditions i want in.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
A goat burning festival. They should do it.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Scandinavians sure like burning things, first churches and now goats.

Kind of like the Catholics..
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Article
Despite emergency services arriving on the scene within a few minutes, he goat could not be saved.

Prince Adam will be fooking devastated.
I love Sweden.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Most pit monkeys would consider the goat to be too nationalist and proud, and would therefore want to burn it down. I think it should be left alone.
Silly Scandinavians, always trying to burn down things that are popular.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
what if that goat is a decoy, and the real straw goat is stored in an underground bunker in iceland?
Quote by entity0009
Some people just want to watch the herd burn.

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████