Hello there,
I'm a guitarist, and I picked up a bass at a friend's and really liked the feeling of playing it and how it was possible to switch from one stringed instrument to another (I know it's totally different, but you can pick up a bass as a guitarist and play a simple feeling rhythm on the background) so I was planning on buying a bass and getting some practice on.

As for amplifier, I will be playing on REALLY quite volumes (even if playing in venues, i will just borrow a bass amp from school or a friend), so I was planning on keeping my Fender Mustang III and never raise the volume past 1.5. Now I was thinking, can I also hook up a bass with Boss GT10 and play through headphones? It's normal GT10, not BGT10.

Thirdly, what bass would you recommend for:
Metal and Pink Floyd style rock?
I listen to a lot of Metallica, Pink Floyd, Rammstein, and some other bands, which i've seen many play a 5 string. since my first guitar also was a 7 string, i have no issue with learning something with an extra string.

So, any recommendations? My budget is around 500 Euros for the bass. I live in Germany. I prefer to get something new and not second hand.
Active or Passive, doesn't really matter to me.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
sounds like you could just a get P-Bass but i dont have much exprience with five stringes
5 stringers take a lot of power to sound good and efficient cabs so know what exactly you'll be using if you did gig. A 4 string P bass, or J bass is more than enough for most people, a 5 string is good if you want to play a lot of really deep notes above E which again leads to the first sentence. Test the idea before hand to see if the pedal and display a low B well through headphones.
Thanks for all responses! I'll go to shop on Monday. Is there anything specific to look for when picking up basses? Eg in guitar, tuners, type of bridge, wood of body and neck, fingerboard, pickup switch and so on?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Thanks for all responses! I'll go to shop on Monday. Is there anything specific to look for when picking up basses? Eg in guitar, tuners, type of bridge, wood of body and neck, fingerboard, pickup switch and so on?

Its generally the same kind of deal. Give it a good look over, make sure the tuning machines don't slip out of tune, make sure the bridge feels solid, etc.

Wood (body, neck, and fretboard) comes down to personal preference. The majority of basses you'll find in a store in your price range will probably have maple necks with either maple or rosewood fretboards, so you may not have a lot of choice in that. Pay attention to different neck profiles, see what kinds feel best to you. Also as you're trying out basses, pay attention to what kind of pickup configurations you think sound best (P, J/J, P/J, soapbars/humbuckers, big fat Music Man style humbuckers, etc.).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass