So, I am working on an album. It's a progressive('ish) metal whatever-and-some concept album.
It consist of recorded guitars, bass and programmed synths and drums.

The All-Mighty Link - to a current mixdown
(Sorry, it's quite big for an .mp3)

At this point I request for some fresh ears. I've been working on the mix for weeks,
and now I feel my ears are somewhat oblivious towards each change/adjustment I make.
Especially, regarding the mixing vs. mastering issue.

On some levels, I think I've found a great in-your-face compression sound (I have *much* love for that modern 'pump'),
but at this point, I also fear that it might be too much.
(In fact, since I started writing this post, it's grown almost unbearable - see my point?)

I know for a start that I am aiming for things that, in essence, close each others out, (layered/individual sounds, compressed/open, flowing/abrupt - et cetera) so there is going to be some (Some? Yeah right...) compromise, to reach that golden middle ground, if you will.

So I'm pleading that you listen this quite lengthy part - for a mix critique anyway - of a song, and in reply postulate your opinion of it.

A pointer for some points (!) on the arrangement:
- I'm not going for realistic drum sounds, it's kind of a bastard child of DT's 'Images and Words' and modern metal's drum sounds
- EQ'ing besides, this is the guitar sound I've found most benefitting for my goals
-There's an all-sorts-myriad of different style vocals coming on top
- And now that I listen to this render, the snare is all-too-dry for the effect I'm going for... Oh well...

tl;dr:
So, to summarise... Oh hell, I'm asking for some help on this mix,
and would be most grateful for advice/critique/shit on this piece.
Especially I'd like some input on how the elements of the mix sound as 'whole' (though it isn't the song in full).
Last edited by Keskimaki at Dec 3, 2011,
I don't listen to this kind of music, but I think this mix is superb! I've listened to about 9 minutes of it so far, and the only thing that I could see being wrong with this mix is the bass drum being a little to loud during the double bass parts, but that could also be my speaker setup, it's a little touchy on the bass. Other then that I think this mix is great!
I thought it was really good honestly. The only thing I say is that around 3:40, the solo guitar is just a little bit too quiet. I see that it's supposed to be quiet, but I think it should get just a little more volume.

EDIT: I also agree about the double bass. Nearer to the end it gets to be a little too much.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Dec 3, 2011,
Many thanks for the kind words.

Maybe it's just that I'm getting a tad bit too paranoid for working too long on this, striving for some perfect potential aural image I have floating around on my subconciousness. Anyway, These are the kind of replies I'm looking for., pointing out possible flaws, so that I can check them out for possible
solutions. Thanks.

I've got to check out that bass drum issue(?) on several other reference speakers. I think I know what you mean, the fast bass drum parts might drive the compressors too hard. I could automate the settings on either the compressor or the EQ on those parts to get more clarity...

Nevertheless, I will appreciate every new comment that manifests itself in this thread.

Edit:
Nevermind all the edits, I'm quite drunk as it is, and still boozing.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by Keskimaki
Thanks for the kind words.

Maybe it's just that I'm getting a tad bit too paranoid for working too long on this, striving for some perfect potential aural image I have floating around on my subconciousness. Anyway, These are the kind of replies I'm looking for., pointing out possible flaws, so that I can check them out for possible
solutions. Thanks.

I've got to check out that bass drum issue(?) on several other reference speakers. I think I know what you mean, the fast bass drum parts might drive the compressors too hard. I could automate the settings on either the compressor or the EQ on those parts to get more clarity...

Perhaps you are being a bit paranoid. I am super critical of most things that I do, I can spot more flaws in my own things than other people can. The difference between me and you is that you can actually fix any problems there are, I can try, but it will still sound like somebody took a dump in the end.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10