I figured since I've been playing for a few years now I should really make the step up!

Budget: £500-600 (Can push to £700 if it's really necessary).

Genres and Artists: Blues/Hard Rock/Metal/Classic Rock. A few of my favourite bands are GN'R, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Jane's Addiction and The Darkness. I like a majority of the guitar players in these bands such as Bumblefoot, Phil Collen and Steve Clark. A player who's cleans I really admire is Jeff Buckley. Some favourite albums of mine are Appetite for Destruction, Use Your Illusions I & II, Chinese Democracy, Hysteria, Whitesnake (self-titled), Grace and Nothing's Shocking.

Examples of tones:
3:23 - Love this solo tone!
2:38 - Again, another one I like.
Opening riff.

New or used: I really don't mind. Whatever is going to get me the best amp for the money.

Home or Gig: I aim to start gigging soon but if possible would like to play the amp at home.

Closest City: London.

Current gear: The guitar I'm using is a Squier Telecaster Custom. The amp I'm using is this old carlsbro 30w solidstate with a Boss DS-1 and Marshall SV-1 Chorus pedal.

Edit: Would like 2 channels, Reverb and FX loop if possible.

Hope this all helps!
Last edited by Scott™ at Dec 3, 2011,
i would hit up any local listings for people selling matamp, orange, marshall, hiwatt, sound city, or laney and try them out til i found one i loved.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well I think back then Vai was using the Carvin 100xb but apart from that they are pretty much all Marshall guys if memory serves. As gumbilicious implied - look for something british voiced. You may be hard pushed to get a vintage JCM800 but maybe a Laney AOR, JCM900, DSL, Sovtek Mig, Bugera 1990. Jet City and Orange would do the trick too.

Are there any features the amp must have? eg. 2 channels, reverb, fx loop etc
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Well I think back then Vai was using the Carvin 100xb but apart from that they are pretty much all Marshall guys if memory serves. As gumbilicious implied - look for something british voiced. You may be hard pushed to get a vintage JCM800 but maybe a Laney AOR, JCM900, DSL, Sovtek Mig, Bugera 1990. Jet City and Orange would do the trick too.

Are there any features the amp must have? eg. 2 channels, reverb, fx loop etc

Yeah, I would like 2 channels, reverb and fx loop if possible. I'll add that to the OP.
Sorry, just some further question/s:

Combo or stack?
Preference on any speaker config? 1x12, 2x12 etc
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Sorry, just some further question/s:

Combo or stack?
Preference on any speaker config? 1x12, 2x12 etc

Don't mind either combo or stack. No preference on speaker configuration either.
Then maybe start by checking out the Marshall DSL401 (It's a 40 watt 1x12 combo). They should be widely available second hand for about the £300-400 mark - or at least they used to be.

Should be a good starting point.

There are also some JCM900 combos on ebay at the moment, slightly more 'of that era'.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
traynor ycv50b on thomann? it's supposed to be the marshally one. i've only tried the 40, though.

failing that, laney gh50/100l if you can find one cheap enough. or maybe the new ironheart (haven't tried yet, and the fact it's got more features than the gh yet is cheaper makes me wonder, but still might be worth a try).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was going to suggest the GH50/100 until he said he wanted 2 channels. The Ironheart was going to be my next offer after the DSL too (great minds clearly think alike) but is it a bit modern metal for the 80's stuff he has quoted as his inspiration?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40

dsl would probably be alright for that, it's teh tsl which is more modern (teh dsl is fairly modern too, but i think it'd be fine for the 80s stuff).

i'd prefer the laney, though, as long as having a separate clean channel isn't a necessity.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The laney is definitely an easy way to get that JCM800 tone but TS said reverb and two channels so I thought to give him something more in the build of the JCM900

The Laney stuff is awesome but the VH100 is out of budget and the Ironheart is really modern metal.

Again I would like to add that if the TS could come back with opinions on the DSL then we can further help him to find something he likes
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
The rig I'd recommend:

Bugera 1990 Infinium
£350

Harley-Benton G212 Vintage
£160

For under £550 you're getting a 100W, two-channel head and a Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cab. A killer rock rig! The 1990 is a good JCM800/JCM900 copy, which is exactly what all the guys you like are using.
Quote by barnesybaby
The laney is definitely an easy way to get that JCM800 tone but TS said reverb and two channels so I thought to give him something more in the build of the JCM900

The Laney stuff is awesome but the VH100 is out of budget and the Ironheart is really modern metal.

Again I would like to add that if the TS could come back with opinions on the DSL then we can further help him to find something he likes

ah no worries

but isn't the 900 a fair bit different to the 800? shenanigans and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
New alternative: Hayden AGT-40. The combo is £485 and may be worth a try
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Add ENGL Screamer 50 E330 into one of your choices.

It's so worth it for me personally.
Hey thanks for the replies guys! I've been looking into the JCM800 combos. They run relatively cheap on ebay. Are they decent? Also is there any noticeable differences between the combo and the head/cab?
Last edited by Scott™ at Dec 6, 2011,
Yes they are decent! They are very good. The only differences you will notice between the combo and head/cab are: Difference in weight, Ease of transport,

The main difference is that you will be going through a 1x12 or 2x12 instead of into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab - different amount of air being moved (Shouldn't be a problem as you can run extension speakers or mic up the amp). Also the speakers in the cab may not be your favourite ones but they can be swapped if needs must.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
i'm not too well up on 800s,butthere are different models (i think). so you'd need to know which model's which.

where's cath?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quick update - Went into town today and looked in a small guitar shop. They had a Tiny Terror for £300 and the cab was £200. Because I am looking to start playing live, will it be loud enough to keep up with a drummer?
i don't think it's really aimed at the tones you want
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Did you try the Tiny Terror?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Did you try the Tiny Terror?

Yeah I tried it and liked it. It's a toss up between that and the JCM800 combo. Will 50 watts be too much for pubs and bar gigs? Same thing about the tiny terror, will it be enough to keep up with the drums? I'm so undecided between the two though. I won't be able to try a JCM800 though
Quote by Scott™
Yeah I tried it and liked it. It's a toss up between that and the JCM800 combo. Will 50 watts be too much for pubs and bar gigs? Same thing about the tiny terror, will it be enough to keep up with the drums? I'm so undecided between the two though. I won't be able to try a JCM800 though

I'd still recommend the Bugera 1990 over the Tiny Terror by a long way. I gigged the Dual Terror (twice the wattage of the Tiny terror) for a little while and it just didn't cut through with a loud drummer, even with a 4x12.

JCM800 combo isn't a bad bet, just make sure you get one of the good ones.
Quote by kyle62
I'd still recommend the Bugera 1990 over the Tiny Terror by a long way. I gigged the Dual Terror (twice the wattage of the Tiny terror) for a little while and it just didn't cut through with a loud drummer, even with a 4x12.

JCM800 combo isn't a bad bet, just make sure you get one of the good ones.

Is it the 1990 classic or infinium? I can only find one place online that stock it.
Quote by Scott™
Is it the 1990 classic or infinium? I can only find one place online that stock it.

Yeah, I think it's been temporarily pulled or something...a bit odd
Quote by Scott™
Lol that's weird. Any other recommendations? This is the JCM800 I had my eye on. I am sort of liking the idea of getting a head and cab now though.

To tell you the truth, I'm a big fan of buying used and I don't think cosmetics matter at all - but I'd personally be a little bit cautious about using that as my main gigging amp.
Quote by kyle62
To tell you the truth, I'm a big fan of buying used and I don't think cosmetics matter at all - but I'd personally be a little bit cautious about using that as my main gigging amp.

Why's that?
^ that might work but it would be my pick

I'd much rather have the Traynor, Laney, Carvin, Engl, Sovtek, etc already mentioned.

on the 800's

2203 = 100w single channel
2204 = 50w single channel
2205 = 50w dual channel, reverb
2210 = 100w dual channel, reverb
2555 = Slash Sig.....the best one
YJM = YM sig
AFD = slash sig
Quote by barnesybaby
Then maybe start by checking out the Marshall DSL401 (It's a 40 watt 1x12 combo). They should be widely available second hand for about the £300-400 mark - or at least they used to be.

Should be a good starting point.

There are also some JCM900 combos on ebay at the moment, slightly more 'of that era'.

What he said. Exactly
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by Scott™
Lol that's weird. Any other recommendations? This is the JCM800 I had my eye on. I am sort of liking the idea of getting a head and cab now though.

That's a mighty amp. The best JCM800's by far are the 2203 and the 2204. That's a 4010 which is the 1x12 combo version of the 2204. It's the perfect amp for you. right tone, easily transported (well, they are pretty heavy but as compact a JCM800 rig as you can get) and you can run it into a cab if you ever get one.
Buy it.

Edit. I see you said you wanted a 2 channel amp. Two channel JCM800's are crap. The 4010 is a single channel amp but don't let that deter you, you just have to get used to how to use a single channel amp. Your volume knob on the guitar is effectively your channel switch. Or you can use a boost. Or you can use an attenuator pad (I'm not talking about what most people call an attenuator but rather a switchable resistor that goes in front of the amp.) Or you can use a volume pedal.
It's a single channel amp but it's the right single channel amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification