Page 1 of 3
Got to borrow a nicer than usual camera last night so I took some pics. I also figured I'd combine all my new guitar/build threads into one, so I'll be regularly updating this one.

dude, who do you think you are?

PRINCE????????
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Jason Jillard
sweet, must ask one thing tho,

why make the wooden pickgaurds so thick? i jsut want to know your reasoning behind it.. is it a visual thing for you?

Thanks Jason. The answer is in the question - they're wood. The thinner they are the more easily they will warp.
These are ~3/16", so they're not much thicker than 1/8". You're probably right to say we could go under 1/8" but I feel that I might not like the look of that as much. So going back to the original question I suppose it's fair to say there's an aesthetic reason for the thicker guards as well.
oh lord, so pretty. Is building a semi-hollow just like building a solid body except you route some parts away before you glue the top on? I like your ring inlays a lot!
Quote by michaelbot9000
oh lord, so pretty. Is building a semi-hollow just like building a solid body except you route some parts away before you glue the top on? I like your ring inlays a lot!

It depends - there are a few different ways to approach semihollow construction. We usually do it by the method you described though. Here's a shot of a semihollow before the top was applied. This one is almost more chambered than semihollow, but same principle.

Thanks Michael!
Quote by Jason Jillard
i really hope that seahorse one is getting a trans teal stain.

It'll be something along these lines:

Quote by Jason Jillard
woah, ash fretboard?

also, the top pic stain would be awesome.

Thanks man! And yeah, ash. We haven't done it often but it has always worked when we've tried it.

Some more of what is going on:

Dude! I need new pants! I need one of these guitars >.<
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I wish I could learn from you considering I'm close(ish) by (I live just northwest of boston, about 10 miles out)... but alas I'm too busy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Vendetta V

I want one of your guitars man! O____O

Hahaha nice pic, and thanks!

Quote by oneblackened
I wish I could learn from you considering I'm close(ish) by (I live just northwest of boston, about 10 miles out)... but alas I'm too busy.

That's a bit of a hike, but not too far. You should come by some time!
My god I love the amazing craftsmanship on these but I just cannot get over how ugly I think they look. Everything from the body shape to the headstock is just horrific. And its such a shame because it looks like so much work was put into these and you clearly care about building guitars and doing them right. The finishes look amazing but those shapes make me want to blow my brains out.

That blue finish with the grain is one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen, I'd kill to have that on a Telecaster.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by Jettski1
My god I love the amazing craftsmanship on these but I just cannot get over how ugly I think they look. Everything from the body shape to the headstock is just horrific. And its such a shame because it looks like so much work was put into these and you clearly care about building guitars and doing them right. The finishes look amazing but those shapes make me want to blow my brains out.

That blue finish with the grain is one of the most beautiful finishes I have ever seen, I'd kill to have that on a Telecaster.

Sorry?

Quote by Jason Jillard
obviously you are in a minority jettski.. since hes making enough money to keep doing this obviously, someone must like them. =P

that finish would look killer on a tele tho.. lol

anyways. thats one chunky neck!

and i'll probably steal that angle of picture one day. be forewarned =P

Thanks man! I didn't take this shot but I thought the angle was pretty badass as well so I figured I would post it. I don't think the neck is super chunky but it's definitely a bit meatier than our standard. Anyway, go ahead and use that angle, it's a cool view that you don't usually get for guitar pics!
Quote by Jason Jillard
diggin the color scheme on the one on the right.

how many do you build a year? are they msotly custom orders or do you build and then sell them afetrwards.. ro do you have some sort of contract with a retailer?

The number varies, but if I had to ballpark I'd say at least 25 per year. We build to customer's specs about 80-90% of the time, the rest would be stuff that we spec out and then sell. Usually a customer will order a model done in one of our series, but even then there are a number of custom options that make each one different. We do full custom work as well, but those orders aren't as common. We have no retail contracts or anything of the sort. We are in the early stages of working with a boutique retailer in NC but they aren't selling any of our stuff yet.

Thanks Jason!
Woohoo! Finished one of these builds and our photographer stopped by:

also sprayed color on this one:

Last edited by Becker Guitars at Dec 14, 2011,
Love me them finishes, are they just poly? I love the burst fretboard idea!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
Love me them finishes, are they just poly? I love the burst fretboard idea!

We use poly and nitro - it depends on the application and customer's preferences. This last one I just posted is nitro. Thanks nowa!
Incredible craftsmanship, the shapes bring to mind many of the boutique basses I've seen.
:O

These designs would make amazing 7 stringers. Why have you not done that yet?
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by mattocaster99
Incredible craftsmanship, the shapes bring to mind many of the boutique basses I've seen.

Thanks Matt! We build plenty of basses as well

Quote by shaggydogJV
:O

These designs would make amazing 7 stringers. Why have you not done that yet?

Funny you say that. We've heard from a lot of 7 string players that feel the same way, but no one has ever ordered one. We are branching out a good bit, (lefties, a 12 string, etc) and I think that would be an excellent concept to explore. Who knows?
Last edited by Becker Guitars at Dec 15, 2011,
Professionals like showing off too :p Besides, if the professionals didn't use the forums there wouldn't be half as much good advice going round.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Page 1 of 3