hey guys, want a nice strat without going big bucks, I mainly want this for pink floyd esque stuff.

budget - 300 GBP approx

I have heard good things about the classic vibe series.
so squire or any other suggestions? i can get a pretty close tone out of my Rg, using the singlecoil, muff e.t.c

lpj out!
Normally, as a diehard fender lover, I'd say no squier. lol but if you go standard series or above, the quality isn't bad at all.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
For Gilmour, I'd only recommend a Classic Vibe 50s Strat, as Squier's go. Specifically the new Fiesta Red ones, as they come with upgraded ALNICO III (vintage voiced) pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
squire...
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Get a Standard if you want to swap out the pick guard later. Other Squiers have random dimensions and you'd need a custom cut guard traced from the current guard to get it to fit.

Another 2 reasons to go with the Standard over a CV are:
- 22 frets
- 2-point trem

But it won't be as refined (or as expensive)

Be sure to play one first, though. I haven't liked the tone on the Standards, even unplugged. Seems kind of tinny to me. Don't know if it's due to the agathis bodies or the bridge hardware, but my money's on the bridge.

BTW, it's S q u i e r.

Also, be prepared to change out the pups and the tuning pegs. With just a little drilling and not much money you can put the Fender/Schaller locking tuners on like the MIA Deluxes come with.

Also be prepared to pay a luthier for a decent setup. On of the reasons they're so cheap is they don't take the time to do a proper setup. I had to have the neck shimmed on my Affinity, but between that and the locking tuners, it now is just as playable as my MIA Strat. I like the Squier better though, due to the humbuckers I got in it now.
I have a 2006 Starcaster and I love it! It's my practice guitar of choice ATM till I get my Westone up and running. So if you come across one I'd recommend it strongly.

Cheers!
Vintage V100 Les Paul Icon Gold Top
Indie Shape "Black Jack" Special Edition
ESP LTD MH-200
Stagg Dreadnought Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp
hey guys, The plan is now, to borrow my bassist's Standard strat for a while and see if it is suitable, and check out the cv, the 22 frets on the standard would be much more preferable than 21, as well as the 2 point as opposed to the 5screw bridge?

if i dont like em, im gonna save for a fener i think, or a better copy.
Another great option these days with Strats is the Blacktop series. They have 22 frets, and they even have one coming out with a Floyd Rose for the same price (probably an FR Special instead of an OFR, for the price). Unfortunately, the one with the regular trem is 6 screws.

Even if you don't want humbucker tones all the time, I think the pups are set up for coil splitting, and you could re-wire it to get more control over that. The only thing is it would be missing the middle coil.

I never use the middle coil on my MIA Strat by itself. It's either in position 1 (neck only) or position 4 (mid + bridge, aka the humbucker position). That's one reason why I modded my Squier into HH and wired it with an S-1 switch, kinda like a Deluxe MIA Big Apple Strat, but with 2 volumes and 2 tones (concentric). Turns out I mainly keep that in the bridge bucker postion with the coils in series. I do like being able to turn down the volume on the neck and use the 5-way as a kill switch. The 2 tones is good too, becuase the only time I use the neck pup, I keep the highs rolled off, but I don't do that much with the bridge pup.

As for the Starcaster recommendation, I'd be really careful with that. I've seen a few nice [oder] ones in pawn shops, but mainly they're sold in discount stores and some of the ones I've seen have had splinters coming off the neck. Also they pay less attention to the frets than on the Squiers, so they often have sharp ends. Buyer beware is all I'm sayin'.
hsy Jetwash, all of my guitars are hsh hss h h , so I am super keen on sticking with true Singlecoils at the moment, I dont think I have heard a coil split or tapped bucker with the same sound. ( unless my ears are being fussy)
If i come across a Blacktop I will give one a go though, I Really! like the look of them.

Starcaster, im gonna avoid, after a quick google I decided they werent for me.

Muchos love ug.

Lpj
Quote by Lespauljames
hsy Jetwash, all of my guitars are hsh hss h h , so I am super keen on sticking with true Singlecoils at the moment, I dont think I have heard a coil split or tapped bucker with the same sound. ( unless my ears are being fussy)
If i come across a Blacktop I will give one a go though, I Really! like the look of them.

Starcaster, im gonna avoid, after a quick google I decided they werent for me.

Muchos love ug.

Lpj

Whatever trips your trigger. The Blacktops have the best build quality and playability I've seen in an MIM Strat, plus the 22 fret neck is really rare for MIM, but if it's not the tone you're looking for, then there's no point. I'd be curious to see if you're happy with the tone of the Squier Standard with stock pups (or even unplugged). If you want the good tone in an SSS and 22 frets you might have to save up for an MIA Standard. Most of the copies that are better than an MIA cost more, too (like Suhr, Charvel, or if you build a Warmoth and have them paint it for you).

Jay Turser's JT300 is available with a 22 fret neck, but has the 6 point trem. I haven't played their strats. It lists for around $200.

Might want to check out G&L guitars--their Commanche line might have something close to the MIA prices. The Tribute models are cheaper, but I haven't seen any in person.