Hey guys, I was wondering what pedal I should get considering my set up. $80-$120 is my Price range.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Schecter C-1 FR
Schecter Synyster Custom
Marshall MG 100HDFX

I run my amp through an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. I get lots of noise when I crank it. What would my best bet be? A Boss Noisegate? Boss Noise Suppressor? Another brand? Thanks.
well umm here are two that I know of.
-the ISP decimator
-beta aivin NG

I use beta aivin and it works well for me. Where are you located and are you willing to buy used?
It sounds to me like your amp is causing your problems. It's just a noisy amp. I wouldn't spend the money to get around the issue, I would just get a new amp.

Anyway, the Decimator is probably your best bet.
Quote by white_ibanez10
well umm here are two that I know of.
-the ISP decimator
-beta aivin NG

I use beta aivin and it works well for me. Where are you located and are you willing to buy used?

Nashville, TN :P
Quote by Strats&Cats
It sounds to me like your amp is causing your problems. It's just a noisy amp. I wouldn't spend the money to get around the issue, I would just get a new amp.

Anyway, the Decimator is probably your best bet.

Peavey 6505 When I get the cash... I'll have to keep my MG cab until I can buy a Recto cab.
Invest all your funds in an amp right now!!
Sell your synyster custom and get new amp!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by themelodicdeathshow

+1 and i raise you an ns2.

once you do this u will have a very good setup, but getting rid of hum on a SS amp compared to a tube amp is so different
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Honestly I used a ISP noise decimator and a NS-2 and the NS-2 tends to suck the tone a bit and the ISP was very easy to use and did not change my tone one bit.
-My Gear-

Ltd EC-1000 Cherry Red Finish
Schecter 006 Elite Deluxe w/SD Blk'outs

Epiphone Acoustic Dove

Line6 Pod HD400

Bugera 333 Head

Mesa 2x12 w/v30's

-Youtube Channel-

Get a used Boss NS-2. It's pretty hard to beat for the price. And I prefer it to the Decimator anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hey dude, i was just in your same exact position. Have a 6505+ and a TS9 upfront and running lots o gain. Was noisy as crap. I went to the store and tried out the

MXR-Noise Clamp
MXR-Smart Gate
Boss-NS-2
ISP Decimator
ISP Decimator G String

The ISP Decimator sucked IMHO - This is the one that just has 1 in and 1 out
the Boss-NS-2 did a great job but was a bit slow
the ISP Decimator G String was just in that test to set the "Bar" - this is the best i have ever heard but cost prohibative

I ended up going with the MXR Noise Clamp. Its really fast and if connected in the X pattern works like a friggn champ! - I'm very happy with it considering it was only like 90 bucks..
Last edited by surjer at Dec 3, 2011,
Quote by themelodicdeathshow

I'm definitely selling that... I'll buy a new guitar to replace it. I currently have no job so I'm screwed for a while on amp money.
Quote by surjer
Hey dude, i was just in your same exact position. Have a 6505+ and a TS9 upfront and running lots o gain. Was noisy as crap. I went to the store and tried out the

MXR-Noise Clamp
MXR-Smart Gate
Boss-NS-2
ISP Decimator
ISP Decimator G String

The ISP Decimator sucked IMHO - This is the one that just has 1 in and 1 out
the Boss-NS-2 did a great job but was a bit slow
the ISP Decimator G String was just in that test to set the "Bar" - this is the best i have ever heard but cost prohibative

I ended up going with the MXR Noise Clamp. Its really fast and if connected in the X pattern works like a friggn champ! - I'm very happy with it considering it was only like 90 bucks..

I'll end up getting the Standard 6505 head instead of the plus... The Standard has more gain than the plus. I have friends that own the 2 so I play them frequently. The 6505+ is much brighter and has more headroom for the cleans. The 6505 has a darker tone with more gain. Get rid of the crappy 6505 cab and replace it with a Rectifier cab and you have every tone you could think of.
Quote by EspTro
+1 and i raise you an ns2.

once you do this u will have a very good setup, but getting rid of hum on a SS amp compared to a tube amp is so different

Yes... It's very different. I just like to jam with some buds and the feedback and noise is awful. I'm 17 with a "seasonal" job so money is an issue for the amp. Just needed a pedal for a temporary fix. :P
Quote by Fear The Abyss
I'm definitely selling that... I'll buy a new guitar to replace it. I currently have no job so I'm screwed for a while on amp money.

Dude, you have 3 guitars. Sell the Synster, and get an amp.

I love NS-2s, never had an issue with them. Can't wait to see this thread turn into a ISP vs. Boss melee.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08

I love NS-2s, never had an issue with them. Can't wait to see this thread turn into a ISP vs. Boss melee.

it always will be

ns-2 tone sucking is all rig dependent

as is the ISP

get over it people
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
it always will be

ns-2 tone sucking is all rig dependent

as is the ISP

get over it people

BUT TEH ISP IS SHINY

BUT THE X PATTERN RULZ

SIDJAPSOIJASOIJASODIJASODIJASOIJASOIDJASODIJSA

Always fun to watch.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I used to have an NS2, and I thought it worked fine with no tone loss. Never used an ISP, but I hear they are very nice. Also a lot more expensive.

You're not maxing the gain, are you? Because that's always gonna give you a ton of hum and feedback. I always ask this when people ask about noise gates... Quite often people think they need the gain knob rolled to the max to bring the brootz.

On a side note, does the TS9 really do anything for you with the MG?? I've never played one, but every SS amp I tried with my TS9 kinda sounded like ass. With a tube amp it gives a nice breakup, and some extra drive. With the SS amp it just kinda got all muddy and added quite a bit of noise.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Suppose i forgot to mention that the setup i mentioned earlier was what worked for ME in MY specific setup. ALL of these things are subjective to your setup. The best advice is to try them all and see which ones fit your needs. I think the list of gates to try within your budget is fairly straight forward. Which one is better? All of them.. lol
Has anybody thought about the Behringer Noise Reducer? That's what I'm planning on getting cos I'm a cheaparse and can get the the Behringer for AUD$45 as opposed to spending $110+ for the Boss (although I would get the Boss one if I could afford it). I have a Behringer distortion pedal, and that's been kind to me
Quote by souperman08
BUT TEH ISP IS SHINY

BUT THE X PATTERN RULZ

SIDJAPSOIJASOIJASODIJASODIJASOIJASOIDJASODIJSA

Always fun to watch.

Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Don't need a noise suppressor. Sell that guitar and pick up a tube combo at a descent price and boost it with that TS9. Keep the gain dialed back a bit on the amp and you will have a sweeeeett tone.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Don't need a noise suppressor. Sell that guitar and pick up a tube combo at a descent price and boost it with that TS9. Keep the gain dialed back a bit on the amp and you will have a sweeeeett tone.

He's looking at buying a 6505, which are some of the noisiest tube amps I've ever heard: he's going to want the noise suppressor on them too, guarantee it.

I'll still jump on the "sell a guitar, buy a good amp" bandwagon though; you'll be muuuuuch better off in the long run...and the short run.
Quote by souperman08

3 Guitars with a floating trem... I play in Multiple tunings. Not having a 3rd guitar would be a real pain.
Quote by jpatan
I used to have an NS2, and I thought it worked fine with no tone loss. Never used an ISP, but I hear they are very nice. Also a lot more expensive.

You're not maxing the gain, are you? Because that's always gonna give you a ton of hum and feedback. I always ask this when people ask about noise gates... Quite often people think they need the gain knob rolled to the max to bring the brootz.

On a side note, does the TS9 really do anything for you with the MG?? I've never played one, but every SS amp I tried with my TS9 kinda sounded like ass. With a tube amp it gives a nice breakup, and some extra drive. With the SS amp it just kinda got all muddy and added quite a bit of noise.

The MG has hardly enough gain for an decent AC/DC tone on Max. You add the tube screamer and I can get Metallica, Slayer and crazy gain. I have a Dunlop 10 Band EQ but the Feedback is awful. What I plan on doing is getting a Noise Gate so I can use the EQ and switch on the Tube screamer for solos.
Quote by Fear The Abyss
3 Guitars with a floating trem... I play in Multiple tunings. Not having a 3rd guitar would be a real pain.

Sounding good in 2 different tunings is a far better option than sounding somewhere between terrible and "meh" in three different tunings.