Or any other book/story that uses the idea of a villain who "Must Not Be Named" like Voldemort.

If everyone is scared of using the name, presumably they wouldn't tell their children what the name is. Therefore, after a generation or two, would there be anybody left who actually knows the name?
It doesn't really apply to HP since there's such a short time span involved, 10 years or so, but if anyone's read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, centuries have passed since the Dark One was around, yet villagers still seem to know the name and fear it.
I just don't get how the name just doesn't effectively die out if no one says it...
So how do you think it works?

TL;DR: Derp?
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
I'm sure they would tell them the name eventually, but tell them to never say it.

You know, like a swear word.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I'm sure they would tell them the name eventually, but tell them to never say it.

/Thread
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all who wander are lost.
A whole generation hadn't passed in Harry Potter, but I assume the name would be passed down by his followers or in "official" or dark literature.

'Voldemort' is an anagram for 'mediocre literature.'
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by iwannabesedated

Except the idea is that if they say it, they're afraid it gives him power

Quote by Gerard_xD
A whole generation hadn't passed in Harry Potter, but I assume the name would be passed down by his followers or in "official" or dark literature

As I mentioned, it doesn't really apply to Voldemort, I was just using that because more people will know that story than Robert Jordan, which is what gave me the thought
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by darkstar2466

This sounds like a joke you'd hear on Family Guy and then immediately think "Boy, they have really gone downhill, haven't they?"
Quote by darkstar2466

And 'mediocre literature' is an anagram for 'Tom Riddle'

Question invalid: Harry would've defeated Voldemort before such a proposition needed to be made.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by darkstar2466

It's not like the name is never said it's more like it shouldn't be said in public or something. Best answer yet is the swear word one.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Gerard_xD
And 'mediocre literature' is an anagram for 'Tom Riddle'

*looks through mathematics and logic concepts*
<gasp>Transitive property</gasp>

So Voldemort IS Tom Riddle...

Quote by institutions
This sounds like a joke you'd hear on Family Guy and then immediately think "Boy, they have really gone downhill, haven't they?"

Maybe I write for Family Guy. Maybe I don't.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 3, 2011,
"Harry Potter" is an anagram for "shitty, lame-ass book and movie series"
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~