Ok i dont wanna sound stupid but im new with tube amps so hear it goes. I need to retube my amp. I own a Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2. Should i retube it myself or pay to have it done i hear its pretty easy. Also are all 12ax7 tubes the same size or are some bigger. I ask this because the 12ax7's in it now seem smaller than others ive seen in stores. And can i use 6L6 in place of the EL84 i have in now?
Quote by Joeballz
Ok i dont wanna sound stupid but im new with tube amps so hear it goes. I need to retube my amp. I own a Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2. Should i retube it myself or pay to have it done i hear its pretty easy. Also are all 12ax7 tubes the same size or are some bigger. I ask this because the 12ax7's in it now seem smaller than others ive seen in stores. And can i use 6L6 in place of the EL84 i have in now?

no 6L6 sockets are bigger than EL84 sockets...EL84 sockets look similar to the 12ax7 sockets . Retubing an amp needs the amp to be biased too, otherwise you could damage the tubes and/or damage the amp. find an amp repair place where you live and call to see what they charge for Biasing...could be anywhere from 15 to 20 bucks. Biasing requires you to stick your hands in the amp when its on so i dont recommend you doing it yourself unless you research the @#$% out of it for your specific amp, otherwise you can end up with a lethal dose of electricity!!! Unless the amp is self biased but you'd have to look into that etc.
retubing your amp requires specific equiptment.It's called bias (the process,not the equiptment) it's not like changing light bulbs.If your tubes are not properly biased,they'll burn out quickly.It isn't a big deal for a tech,shouldn't cost too much.Good luck
I guess I can't say for sure on the Studio Caliber - but most all Mesas are non-adjustable fixed bias being you plug n play. No biasing necessary.

12AX7s are pretty much all the same size. Yours may look shorter perhaps if they sit down into the chassis. Not sure - never seen a DC-2
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I guess I can't say for sure on the Studio Caliber - but most all Mesas are non-adjustable fixed bias being you plug n play. No biasing necessary.

12AX7s are pretty much all the same size. Yours may look shorter perhaps if they sit down into the chassis. Not sure - never seen a DC-2

damn! i need a mesa! my Bassman has run its course with its current tubes lol...local tech charges 20 bucks, doesnt break the bank, but...pains in the butts! Well at least it gets its exercise!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

This
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean