Not planing to sound stupid but what is the point in getting an amp since i can get a good tone out of GarageBand, and i could use the money for pedals and such
Quote by STEGMAIER
Not planing to sound stupid but what is the point in getting an amp since i can get a good tone out of GarageBand, and i could use the money for pedals and such

gigs, band practice, jams, etc.

if your just in your bedroom and you like the tone you get from garage band then don't bother getting an amp.
you'd be surprised how much different the tone could be with an actual amp. especially a nice tube amp.
but if garage band suits you...i guess thats all that matters
but if you ever plan to play live...not having an amp is kinda stupid
Quote by Frusciantay

but if you ever plan to play live...not having an amp is kinda stupid

i suppose you could have garage band going out through a PA via a laptop...

probably wouldn't sound too great
Quote by STEGMAIER

Because amps are cool. And I've never heard of GarageBand.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Compared to a nice tube amp, or heck even a Floor Modeller such as a POD or a GT10, Garageband's amp sims sound harsh and generic. There is a good reason Garageband is cheap if your mac did not come with it. But for headphone jamming it can be fun, but i think it wouldnt take pedals well...you'd never have an idea how great a pedal could be if you ran them all into Garageband.
Quote by STEGMAIER

Why would you buy pedals for use with garageband? It's essentially got any pedal you might buy already built into it. Kind of a waste of money.
Because Garage Band can't get over drums without some serious help.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Because Garage Band can't get over drums without some serious help.

probably at least a 300watt powered monitor...then you also have to worry about the Mac voice popping up during a gig...

Steven Hawking's styled voice male or female

"Excuse meeeee...Garageband needs your addition!"

Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
probably at least a 300watt powered monitor...then you also have to worry about the Mac voice popping up during a gig...

Steven Hawking's styled voice male or female

Depending on what kind of genre you play, you could consider that to be 'avant-garde'. You never know, the Mac voice may just be at the cutting edge of live music.
Gear:

'06 Fender Standard Telecaster
'99 Fender Standard Stratocaster
'04 Cort MR Custom
Electa Les Paul

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Peavey Bandit 112

Digitech RP250
I hate computers onstage. The noise from lighting rigs (or just dodgey power in general) in most pubs is enough to make them freeze up and it always happens at the worst possible moment. I use a laptop to configure keyboards before a gig but there's no way I would rely on it during the actual gig.
Plus, I also hate relying on foldback for my monitoring. Also if you work feedback you can't go using the foldback for that, it just screws up things for everybody and simply doesnt work as well as a proper half stack. At a gig give me a big valve amp and a stack of speakers or gtfo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
because garage band sounds decent at best. Side by side with a good amp, garage band sounds about on par with a spider III. For jamming in your bed / dorm room, or recording ideas... sure, it works fine. For actually producing anything you'd play for other people... no thanks.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes