Hello,
I'm browsing for a guitar to buy and I like the whole explorer shape thing. I've seen many sites online and two guitars always seem to pop up:

Epiphone Gothic Explorer:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_gothic_explorer.htm

...and...

Epiphone 1958 Korina Explorer:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_explorer_1958_korina_blk.htm

They have the exact same specs except the latter's body is korina BUT the Gothic is always like $40 or so cheaper on every site I've seen. Is this just because of the wood used for the body or is the Korina guitar just better in general, like perhaps made in a different country or what?

I'd prefer getting the Gothic for aesthetic reasons but if the quality of the Korina guitar is better then that'd be more important to me.

Thanks!
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
it's probably because gothics are ugly as hell so you'll need the extra 40 bucks to pay people to hang out with you.

jk but seriously don't buy a goth. yuck.
Okay, but how is the action on the Gothic at the higher frets? It's good, yes? Or is it high and awkward? Fret buzz?
"Happiness is... a bottle of booze in one hand and my faithful guitar in the other hand."

E. Guitar: Epiphone Goth Explorer
Schecter Diamond Series Damien 7
Cl. Guitar: Höfner HF-12
Amp: Roland Cube 40XL
Actio, Fret buzz and everything that has to do with strings are adjustable on any guitar. Unless it's a spanish/classic guitar which quite frankly, most don't have a truss rod.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
lol i play acoustic, i've never needed to know what a valve amp does...I don't see how that has any relevance to this. my lack of valve knowledge doesn't mean I can't look at an electric guitar and go "god that's ugly"

but to each their own i suppose.
Quote by mike_oxbig
lol i play acoustic, i've never needed to know what a valve amp does...I don't see how that has any relevance to this. my lack of valve knowledge doesn't mean I can't look at an electric guitar and go "god that's ugly"

but to each their own i suppose.

Dude, chill out. You post didn't even relate to the OP.

Adressing the OP, I would go for the Korina. Its a more "classic" guitar, I feel. It doesn't (possibly) stereotype you. Walk out on stage with a Goth, everybody think this kid plays metal. Walk out with a Korina and more (some may really dig the Goth) people will go, wow, sweet guitar, and then you can play whatever you want, even metal.

my $.02 on guitar appearances. I also like brighter sounding guitars
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have played the '58 Korina Explorer. I wish I had bought It when I played It. The sound was really good, I Went back 3 days later, was sold!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

The Goth Explorer is a very nice Bang for the $$$. I suppose the $40 extra for the Korina is maybe because Korina is slightly more expensive than Mahogany. They have the same quality as far as finish and hardware.

Having said that, you won't mistake them for Gibsons; however, if you like the neck and how it plays, it'll be awesome with PU upgrades.

I use my Epi as often as the Gibsons.

They korina one should be very slightly lighter than the mahogany one and korina has a very slightly clearer tone. Other than that they're the same for all intents and purposes. In terms of plain qualityt hey're both made in the same place by the same people so there's no reason to expect one to be objectively better than the other. With proper set up they would probably seem identical in a blind test.