Poll: Wearing band t-shirt onstage
Poll Options
View poll results: Wearing band t-shirt onstage
Yes, I think it's a good idea
28 21%
No, I think it's a bad idea
70 53%
Depends on circumstances (specify in post)
18 14%
Joke option
15 11%
Voters: 131.
Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about this a bit recently. My friend thinks that it's a bad idea to wear your own band's t-shirt onstage at it makes you look self centered whereas I think it's a good idea to promote your band as much as possible, even by showing off merchandise.

What are your opinions on it?
Sort of tacky, but if you're on the road or something, who cares, it's just a shirt, there's nothing wrong with liking your own music. It's something you wear, if you have a shirt that happens to have your band name on it, who cares?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by iwannabesedated
Wearing your own shirt onstage is kinda tacky IMO.

this.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Only Iron Maiden is allowed to.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
No. But if it's your other band that you're promoting (e.g. Tom Delonge wears AvA shirts in some blink-182 gigs) then it's cool.
I feel like if the shirt says your band name, it's lame. However, if it's a band shirt but doesn't have the name in writing (like a logo, or album artwork), it's fair game. I can't really tell you why I feel this way, but that's the rules in my mind.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Shirt. No.

Banners. Yes.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I was expecting this to go totally the other way. I thnik it's fine as long as it's not everyone in the band wearing it. If only one of you is wearing it, then whatever. I'd actually think it's cool.
My sig? Nice.
I think it's perfectly fine.
A lot of big bands do it all the time (Metallica, Iron Maiden, The Used, etc.) and even a bunch of my local bands do it. I don't see the problem, but it would be a bit tacky if all you did was wear your own band's shirts (then again, on the last legs of a long tour, maybe that's all you have left that's clean).

I guess everyone has their own view on it, but it's not a big deal, if people like your music, who cares?
It depends how well-off your band is. If you're doing it to promote your merchandise so that it will help fund your band, then go for it, what do I care? But if your band is big enough that it doesn't really need to whore out it's merch, than I don't really see a point other than that you like that shirt. I'm not gonna get a sour opinion of a band either way over it.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Wear another band's shirt onstage. Wearing your own shirt on stage is tacky, and it doesn't promote anything since the people obviously know who they are seeing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Wearing your own band's shirt is inexcusable unless you're REALLY poor and can't even afford enough shirts for a tour. But other band shirts is fine, I see that all the time.
Meh, if the shirt looks rad as hell, then I suppose it'd be ok.
But for the most part, personally I wouldn't wear my own bands shirt on stage.
Quote by GibsonMan321

This.

Also: trade shirts with dudes in other bands and promote each other instead of yourself.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Now if you wanna be really cool, you all need matching band shirts! Better yet, full on uniforms! You need to all have the same shoes, pants, and shirt that display who you are as a band. And to show you're all unique and different, how about you each wear a different colored cap in your favorite colors? Unless two of you have the same favorite color. Then have someone wear their second favorite color! Yay, it still works!

Quote by justinb904
Trade shirts with dudes in other bands and promote each other instead of yourself.

Get your band's name and/or logo tatooed on your chest and don't wear a shirt. It's not tacky if you can't help it.

Of course that doesn't apply to everything.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've seen some local bands do it. I don't really see a problem with that. If you're at a show where a lot of people might not know who you are, it helps get your name out there more.

If someone like Metallica does it it just looks lazy and uninspired.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Nick Cave wore a Nick Cave and the bad seeds t shirt on stage.

He can, because he's Nick Cave.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
No don't
If you wish to wear a band tee do one about your favorite band or other local bands
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
In a perfect world, lesser known bands would wear whatever they want and popular bands would wear band shirts from lesser known bands to help them out.
you're a stone fox
I've seen local bands wear their shirts when they first started selling them to promote them. (They proceeded to rip them off later in the show.)
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
I've seen local bands wear their shirts when they first started selling them to promote them. (They proceeded to rip them off later in the show.)

Keep talking...
you're a stone fox
Yeah, no it just makes you look like a dumbass. Wear another band's t-shirt. Don't be "that guy" on stage.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Only lame bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Deep Purple and Van Halen do..

To me, if you think your shirts are cool, then wear them. Dont go by others standards. You have your own say :/
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by Zoot Allures
Nick Cave wore a Nick Cave and the bad seeds t shirt on stage.

Nick Cave is a self-centered, cartoonish, tacky caricature of a singer. So Nick Cave can pull it off.

Do not ever be Nick Cave, TS. You're on stage playing your band's music, that's plenty promotion. Jesus.
If ONE person is wearing it then yeah that's fine and looks casual.

If you're ALL wearing them, then it's cheesy and I wouldn't suggest it.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by GibsonMan321

This. Adrian does it a lot.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by due 07
Nick Cave is a self-centered, cartoonish, tacky caricature of a singer. So Nick Cave can pull it off.

Do not ever be Nick Cave, TS. You're on stage playing your band's music, that's plenty promotion. Jesus.

All the best people are self centered cartoonish parodys of themselves :3
Quote by Saint78
Keep talking...

Well they jump around a lot so they get pretty sweaty. Usually the singer takes his off first. Then the guitarist usually rips his off a few songs later. The drummer usually takes his off last because he's a bit chubby and probably a bit self-conscious. I have no idea what their bass player likes to do since they recently got a new one (but he is quite good-looking.)
I pride myself on my humility.
Page 1 of 2