For the last little while I decided my sound needed a little more "oomph", and I thought, hey, get an Ibanez Tubescreamer. So I wanted to get one, because almost everybody has one right? Can't be bad if they work for lots of people. Then I remembered I bought a Bad Monkey for $30.

However, I'm not sure if I should keep the Bad Monkey, or go out and get a TS9. The "Tone King" compared them on youtube, but I didn't really get much out of it. I read though that with the High and Low controls, it shapes you sound better than a TS9.

I'm still undecided though on whether or not to use the Bad Monkey (I've barely tried it) and I got it for $30 used. Low price also usually means "not good" when it comes to pedal, (?) but I'm not sure about this one.

tl;dr:

Keep Digitech Bad Monkey or Sell Bad Monkey, try and find an Ibanez Tubescreamer.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
For the last little while I decided my sound needed a little more "oomph", and I thought, hey, get an Ibanez Tubescreamer. So I wanted to get one, because almost everybody has one right? Can't be bad if they work for lots of people. Then I remembered I bought a Bad Monkey for $30.

However, I'm not sure if I should keep the Bad Monkey, or go out and get a TS9. The "Tone King" compared them on youtube, but I didn't really get much out of it. I read though that with the High and Low controls, it shapes you sound better than a TS9.

I'm still undecided though on whether or not to use the Bad Monkey (I've barely tried it) and I got it for $30 used. Low price also usually means "not good" when it comes to pedal, (?) but I'm not sure about this one.

tl;dr:

Keep Digitech Bad Monkey or Sell Bad Monkey, try and find an Ibanez Tubescreamer.

try' em both out at a guitar center?

really, the bad monkey is not that bad. i have heard some complaints about their buffer though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
keep the monkey. I use mine all the time live and its really nice
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
How about you plug it in and try it for yourself?

The Bad Monkey is a great inexpensive OD. I really like mine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I really like mine too, I use it to boost my Blackstar HT-5.

Works really well and sounds nice too, but there is a slight hum. But that could be my leads.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I borrowed one from a friend. It was great.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
The TS9 is really overpriced, IMO. If you're just using it as a boost, there's really no need at all for you to spend that much money. I love my TS7 to death.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you can try out a Way Huge Green Rhino MK2.

It kills the TS-9, TS-808 and the BM.

And yes I have owned all of them OD.

Dean Vmnt End Game
B.C. Rich Draco
Epi-SG
LTD MH-417
Omen-8

Mesa Dual Rec. / 4x12 mesa cab V30's
Peavey 3120 / 4x12 XXX cab
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Randall RT-50H
Kustom KG 100HFX
Ibanez TBX150R 2x12
Hughes & kettner warp-7 / 4x12 line 6 V30's clones
Last edited by leesops at Dec 4, 2011,
The BM and TS9 sound nearly identical, except the Bad Monkey is a little warmer/bassy. Definitely won't give your sound a boost by switching to a TS9.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
So, I am an OD noob...

New question then: How should I set my levels to drive my tubes a little harder? More of a boost for tapping bass-lines, try and get a little more bite.

Also, do I use the pedal on the clean channel, or on my "lead" channel?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Bump...
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Gain 0, level max, on your "lead" channel.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I highly recommend the Danelectro Cool Cat Trans Overdrive. It's only about the same as the Bad Monkey but I'd take one over the TS9 any day of the week, honestly. I traded in my Bad Monkey ages ago, it was solid for the price though.
+1 to the Bad Monkey.

I mean, I realize you already own it so you should know what it can do. Like everyone else is saying, I can't imagine buying a modern day tubescreamer when the Bad Monkey is actually a bit better as a boost. It is cleaner. There is a mod you can do to make it even cleaner (IbanezPsycho has a blog on it). The Bad Monkey has less color and it has separate knobs for bass and treble. Sturdy f**ker too.

Gain = 0, Level = 10

Now if you want an OD pedal to add color to your tone or be your main source of distortion then there are better pedals out there.

So if you find yourself liking this better:
Gain = 5, Level = 5
then maybe find a different pedal.

Quote by leesops
If you can try out a Way Huge Green Rhino MK2.

It kills the TS-9, TS-808 and the BM.

And yes I have owned all of them OD.

Dean Vmnt End Game
B.C. Rich Draco
Epi-SG
LTD MH-417
Omen-8

Mesa Dual Rec. / 4x12 mesa cab V30's
Peavey 3120 / 4x12 XXX cab
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Randall RT-50H
Kustom KG 100HFX
Ibanez TBX150R 2x12
Hughes & kettner warp-7 / 4x12 line 6 V30's clones

You realize you can list your gear in a 'Signature' right? Top left/Control Panel/Edit Signature/copy paste/save
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sturdy f**ker too.

Hell yes. For a £30 Digitech pedal my expectations were not high but that thing is a tank, more so than Boss compacts.
FWIW, I had a Humphrey-modified Bad Monkey for a while, & also tried a regular one once, & I thought it was OK for the money, but nowhere near warm enough sounding to me. Way too thin & not enough articulation, but you get what you pay for. I wound up sticking with an Xotic BB preamp for the one amp I use that needs some boost. Thick, warm, & responsive, but costs over 6 times what a Bad Monkey costs
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
bad monkey is build as a tank for the price of a todler-walking-wagon
also i just use it for my solo or extra oomph riffs and it does the trick perfect. not too much but certainly not less too.
I must say, since I know someone who has one, I've been pleasantly surprised by the sound of the Bad Monkey for such a cheap pedal. It still wouldn't stand a chance against my Xotic BB Preamp, however.

Edit: I see riffhog has taste.
Last edited by Brainpolice2 at Dec 6, 2011,
Another great low cost OD is the MXR Classic Overdrive that's exclusive to GC for $40. IMO I'd rather have the MXR than the BM unless you needed the mixer out on the BM. The song Black Cat Boogie in my profile uses the MXR into a clean amp.