When some is singing something, how do determine what chords/riff-esque thing to play? Because they are usually changing notes pretty rapidly. Without following them directly, I mean.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Whatever works, really; if you followed a set formula, every song would sound the same.
Quote by herby190
Whatever works, really; if you followed a set formula, every song would sound the same.

This for sure. I went a long time playing guitar by myself (still do, but...) and it seemed like everything I played was getting kind of stale. I saw some classical sheet music and noticed things I wouldn't dare put in songs with guitars, namely accidentals. I broke that set formula I was using and everything got a thousand times better. Now, accidentals weren't the only things I added, but it was a big step in the right direction. There's just no formula to really use except the bare chord progression.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Rawshik
When some is singing something, how do determine what chords/riff-esque thing to play? Because they are usually changing notes pretty rapidly. Without following them directly, I mean.

if you can figure out the melody they are singing try to figure out the key they are in and what chords would fit that melody
Are they just making stuff up off the top of their heads? If so you both need a good ear, and rhythm/melody skills to play with each other. It'd be easier if you started and they followed. Easier still if you played a known song cover or otherwise.
I guess I'll just work on my ear then. Thanks guys.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?